Manual Update Process changed? 6.0.308->6.0.314

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by wolliballa, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolliballa

wolliballa Registered Member

When manually updating clients with 6.0.308 to 6.0.314 I discovered following changes in behaviour. Is this intentional or 'just' buggy?

- with updating to 308 user was asked whether to keep current settings and if answered 'yes' the installation just proceeded.
    updating 308 -> 314 now skips this default and checks individual settings. 'Unwanted applications' is taken over fine, but Proxy now defaults to 'no' even old config was set to 'take IE settings.

Secondly I discovered that 2 Installations went througn smootly, 2 others were ended by 'reverse installation' which then successfully ended after reboot.
    Have no details written down yet to figure out whether this is on 64/32 or vista,xp/w7 specific

2. reevesloh

reevesloh Registered Member

i checked my product update version and it said 6.0.308 is up to date.So about manual update how to do it?Download and install the latest without uninstalling 1st?

3. xan K

xan K Registered Member

I agree. The easy update, where all settings are kept is not available anymore. We have to re-enter all settings again. Not good.

4. download the file and install it on top of the old version. all the settings will be preserved.

5. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Settings should be now preserved automatically. I was unable to reproduce any of the mentioned issues and all settings were preserved after upgrading to 6.0.314, including proxy server settings. The only thing that didn't work for me was configuring the proxy server settings according to Internet Explorer during installation in advanced mode. We'll check it out.

6. wolliballa

Hello, Marcos, I verified the 'settings behaviour' now on 4 different machines, all installing 314 over 308:
    Vista 32
    XP Home/ Prof 32
    W7 Home 32
    W7 Prof 64

In all cases e.g. proxy settings had been previously set for 'take from IE', but manual installation (not automatic) had proxy selection pre-set for 'none'.
    Other parameters were obviously taken from old installation.
    If I remember correctly previous versions just asked whether to continue installation with previous settings, if no, then selection standard /custom was possible for further parameters.

7. reevesloh

Marcos,did u encourage this step?

8. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

How about exporting settings from.308 and importing it after installing .314? Will that help?:)

9. SweX

SweX Registered Member

It should work perfectly fine, if not. Then uninstall and make a clean installation. :)

10. it's what i did, and everything worked great!

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I, for one, have always preferred a clean install to install over an older version mainly for the following reasons:
    1, in case there was an issue with an older version (e.g. bad rules created blocking certain communication or access to removable drives), installing ESET from scratch would make these issues go away.
    2, drivers from the former version are loaded and used until the next computer restart.
    Other than that, I don't see any problems installing a new version over an older one.

12. reevesloh

After deep thinking,i think i better wait for Eset to push the update into automatic update server.How long will it enable?

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have version 6.0.308.0 installed. When I click on product update it says installed version is up to date. When will the new version be available by way of clicking on the product update button without having to download the file from the website?

14. in a few weeks

15. SweX

SweX Registered Member

16. wolliballa

Uninstalling 'old-version', installing 'new version' or exporting settings first and reimporting them should not be THE option.
    W'd like to see the old process working asking whether to keep current settings once you just install 'new' over 'old'......

17. xan K

xan K Registered Member

Exactly!!!

18. wolliballa

BTW. it looks like this procedural change is only visible when upgrading from 308 to 314. Whe taking 5.x as a base everything runs through with previous parameters..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.