manual proxy setting kills internet connection?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

when i manually assign a proxy address under internet options->lan settings, my internet connection dies. i can't connect to the internet unless i disable proxy server settings. what is it i'm missing here?
    thanks in adv.
    here below the link to the screenshot:
    http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8241/13608186.jpg

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

@ twenty-three kb's, local's ;) good.

sw_proxy.jpg

3. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Are you using the proxy address of your internet provider? You can try checking the correct proxy settings by googling "ispname proxy", where ispname is the name of your internet provider.

4. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Afaik, that generally sounds correct as your ISP is feeding u your internet. So if you use Corp proxy instead of ISP proxy, then no internet just LAN access... unless your Corp provides internet too?

I might be mistaken, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Abt your firewall sw, does sound strange but I've no idea abt that. Btw it's quite easy to toggle proxy on/off with Opera, or Firefox with appropriate addon like QuickProxy. Currently the addons site seems down, so can't provide a link atm.

5. yeow

yeow Registered Member

So basically while you're at home, your computer is connected to internet. BUT when u set Corp proxy the webpages that are fed to you are from your Corp. So LAN works, since your Corp feeds you LANpages that correspond to the LANaddresses in your browser.

But when you try to go to www.wilderssecurity.com, you can't since your Corp doesn't have that corresponding addy in its intranet so can't feed you.

Not sure I make sense here. o_O

6. GlobalForce

Does your employer offer a documented configuration routine or was their procedure conveyed verbally? Verbally, and XP - correct?

7. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Hi guest,

Try Firefox + FoxyProxy. I think it can be taught to autoswitch to proxy depending on webpage addresses (e.g. your Corp intranet).

Btw in my earlier posts, when I wrote "LAN" it should actually be "Intranet". Sorry if it confused anybody.

8. GlobalForce

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  9. GlobalForce

Your thanks'll be tell'in us you're in the clear!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.