Manual Downloads won't work!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by jonnymc, Apr 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonnymc

jonnymc Registered Member

I have been unable to do manual updates for Spywareblaster for ages.
    Whether through Windows XP service pack and subsequent patches or something else.

For an extended period you guys provided the 'definitions' files on your site and I was able to manually update.

however, one day a message appeared that these updates were gone and would back again soon.

I believe this now be over 6 months ago! If they are not coming back is there another way to manually update?

I am not prepared to subscribe to the autoupdate as I believe the same problem will occur - where the error comesback " unable to establish connection to download". All the while my broadband connection is functiong fine. i have tried turning off Nortons, firewalls and everything else, but it still doesn't work. I have been and remain an ardent promoter and fan of the software but without the updates it can't work!

Can you help??

2. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Registered Member

So this does NOT work !?
    "Updating SpywareBlaster

Your next step should be to update SpywareBlaster. This will make sure SpywareBlaster has the latest list of known Hijackers/Spyware so that it can protect your browser more efficiently. You should update SpywareBlaster regularly, as much as every few days, in order to provide the best protection.

Click on "Updates" in the Menu on the left side of the Main Screen.

Then should click on the button "Check for Updates" . This will check for new updates that may be available to SpywareBlaster. SpywareBlaster will connect to a server and if it finds new updates, it will download them and install them and tell you so. Otherwise it will tell you that your SpywareBlaster is up to date and that there is nothing to download. "

3. dog

dog Guest

Actually it's been since Jan. 1st 2006 - The last upgrade of SB. :) (Slightly over three months)

The latest version supports incremental updates, which makes it a little more complicated to sync up manual DB updates; It's being worked on currently. :) - In the mean time you are still well protected with the DB provided in that update.

Regards;

Steve

4. SpiritWind

SpiritWind Registered Member

Which version ?

Hi Jonnymc :

What version of SpywareBlaster do you have !? 3.4, 3.5 or 3.5.1 ?

5. jonnymc

Dog,

thanks for your response -

My query was unclear - I have used Spyware blaster for 18 months +
    and used to use the standard update manual update process weekly to ensure that my 'block list' was uptodate. At some point for reasons unknown this ceased to work when I clicked on check for updates it came back with the 'could not contact server' type error. I then moved to manually uploading the definitions from your site here and overwriting the files - this clunky solution worked until the definitions were removed from this site.
    I then resorted to reinstalling the latest version of the program (currentlly I have 3.5.1) which was uptodate in Jan as you say but I still cannot get my updates to function so my incremental definitions updates - these are now three months out of date and I have no way I know of to update my definitions as I am still getting the same error "cannot establish connection to download"

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Hello jonnymc

Just for reference, SpywareBlaster updates fine for me using a direct connection to tthe internet. I am using ADSL.
    Have you made any changes along the way to your system that might interfere with updating?
    Have you tried all the options in SpywareBlaster for updating?

Attached Files:

7. dog

dog Guest

Hi jonnymc;

As well as trying the alternate update options Ronjor suggested (as seen in his screenshot).

I would suspect your firewall is blocking the connection. Can you check the applications connection rules; and logs after trying to update? Which firewall product are you using?

Steve

8. jonnymc

Ronjor/Dog,

Thanks for the replies - i had played with alternate options several times with no effect UNTIL today!!

I can only think that the system cleanout (>3gigs removed) just completed has inadvertantly got rid of the problem. Bizarre.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance once more -

9. jonnymc

Speaking almost too soon

Hello,

Again guys -

While I do finally have connection once more - something is still not quite right.

I enter my address in the "use proxy field' then go to update and receive the "cannot establish connection to download" error that has been my issue all along. BUT then if go back into options and select 'use the the system connection proxy settings' it works, BUT only for that session.

When i close SB it drops these settings and I have to redo the same process before the update process will work.

It is Clugy fix number two. I assume that you should only have to set the update option once. And that this is some setting in my machine that is stil interfering with SB??:blink:

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

jonnymc

Why don't you list what firewall, proxies, and security software you use. We're just wandering around in the dark as it is. :D

11. Tiger-Heli

Tiger-Heli Registered Member

I have a couple of related questions:

First, does the version of Spyware Blaster that I just downloaded today contain the latest updates?

Second, could someone provide status on the manual update situation. I understand you are going to incremental updates, but AVG has this and also has a manual update feature that works well.

I have the following concerns:

One of my PC's does not have internet access. You would think I would not need an adware remover on it, but I can install software to it that contains adware.

My other PC has a dial-up connection. I would much prefer to download the update file from a faster connection and then install it on this machine, however I don't have admin rights on the faster machine and therefore can't install Spyware Blaster and use the "Check for Updates" option.

Thanks in advance!

12. Peeved McAfee User

Peeved McAfee User Registered Member

Tiger-Heli:

There is no need to use SpywareBlaster on that system.

When you enable protection in SpywareBlaster, entries are added to the system Registry. This blocks cookies from some sites, places other sites in the restricted zone and blocks the download/execution of selected ActiveX scripts. Since none of these protections are effective unless you are using the internet there is no need to use/enable the protections offered by SpywareBlaster.

13. rich

rich Registered Member

PLEASE HELP! I sit behind a firewall and have been patiently waiting for the update links for months, since January. It is really getting frustrating. I previously wrote the following:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rich
    I tried previously to update spywareblaster manually by using links for previous versions of spywareblaster and got a corrupted database.
    On January 11th, javacool wrote:
    The manual updating links for SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 will be available shortly.
    Using the old manual updating links will indeed cause database corruption and is not recommended.

Previously I used the links below:
    http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywar...sbdatabase.dtb
    http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywar...bdatabase2.dtb
    http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywar...r31/sbinfo.dtb
    http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywar...ckdatabase.dtb
    http://www.spywareblaster.net/spywar...rsdatabase.dtb

They worked fine under the previous version, but now I noticed that in 3.51 there are now 7 .dtb files, rather than just the 5 that existed in prior versions. The additional 2 files that may be causing me to be corrupt are:

sddatabaseinf.dtb
    sddatabaseinf2.dtb

I check the site frequently and I realize that you probably have a million things to do but for those of us that work behind corporate firewalls, that we have no control over, we can't do without having a mechanism that permits us to download via http port 80.

Please publish the links and get to this as soon as you can.

14. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.