Manjaro KDE x32 or x64

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by korben, Sep 28, 2016.

1. korben

korben Registered Member

Express your thoughts guys on using the aforementioned distro.

I am fairly certain I will install Manjaro alongside W10, but...

I wish to know your input.

Peace

2. Anonfame1

Anonfame1 Registered Member

Does your hardware support 64 bit?

If so --> 64 bit
    If not--> 32 bit

There is virtually no reason not to use the 64 bit version if your hardware supports it..

If your asking about Manjaro in general, its a good distro now. It used to have security issues due to how it delayed package upgrades, but they have since fixed their policy. Manjaro has a sizeable and helpful community, but it has nowhere near the breadth or knowledge as the Arch community (which Manjaro is based off of). Some would say its better to setup an Arch install so that you know exactly everything that is installed and exactly how youve configured it, but others disagree.

As far as KDE is concerned, its a fine desktop environment. Everyone has different preferences in terms of what they want. KDE is a full blown feature crammed desktop environment with a lot of polish, fantastic theming, tons of bells and whistles, and extremely configurable. It is more resource intensive than just about any other DE, but really not by much. A full blown Manjaro 64bit KDE install will still be much easier on system resources than Windows 10, so its not like KDE is bloated.

Other alternatives include Gnome (completely different approach to the desktop), XFCE (similar to windows but focused on light weight), LXDE (extremely light DE using Openbox as its window manager), and then down into window managers. Me? I use Openbox with XFCE's panel, file manager, and terminal. What works for you depends on your wants and needs. KDE will prolly be great for you...

3. korben

korben Registered Member

^thanks a bunch!

Might be silly, but... nah it's seriuos.

Now that I have C: for W10 and D: for files, with image in Macrium of C:

Knowing that, upon repartitioning my C: it will forever prevent me from restoring the image of W10 to C:

Am I right?

4. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Restore the image, create the partition, create another image, install linux.

5. korben

korben Registered Member

It has materialized...

I am pretty excited about the endeavour after 7 years of VMing... +/-

KDE 16.08x64 alongside W10x64

What am I supposed to do now?

Remove unneded software? All development tools? debuggers? education? games? disk burning? any other useless stuff?

Then and only then hit the upgrade icon?

Then install what I had tested - email client + some media applications.

And then...

6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Nailed it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.