Manjaro 15.12 Xfce - It started almighty but then

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This ought to be interesting. Here be a long, thorough review of Manjaro 15.12 Capella 64-bit edition with the Xfce desktop, covering live session, installation in a multi-boot setup with Windows 10 and other Linux distributions on a laptop with UEFI, Secure Boot, and GPT, and post-install use and configuration, including look & feel, network connectivity - Wireless, Bluetooth, Samba sharing and printing, multimedia support - HD video, Flash, MP3, smartphone support - Ubuntu Phone, Windows Phone, iPhone, partitioning wizard and associated risks and problems, package management & updates, applications, resource utilization, performance, responsiveness, stability, suspend & resume, hardware support, Touchpad, customization, other changes and observations, issue with Windows not showing in the GRUB menu, subsequent big problems with network freezes and kernel panic, and more. Take a look.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/manjaro-15-12-xfce.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Very interesting, as usual.
    Have you tried installing it with Calamares or CLI instead of Thus (which -if I am not mistaken- is still beta)?

3. azrielle

azrielle Registered Member

Odd. As a complete Linux noob, I still managed to get it installed from a live USB stick--using Calamares--as the second Linux install (over AntiX-MX-15), along with Win-7 in a triple boot configuration in GRUB. On an Acer i-5 11.6" notebook with 8 GB RAM, onto a 16 GB logical Partition. The AntiX resides in a 10 GB Partition.

4. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

I read that the latest Lenovo Laptops aren't that Linux friendly anymore especially when compared to the olden & glory days of the Thinkpad. That's why I am not that surprised reading about difficulties on a G50 or a similar model. I don't see much advantage if you're not a gamer.

I just installed Arch on an older Thinkpad workstation laptop and it runs very well. Of course, it's not an out of the box experience like Manjaro but at least I know exactly what's on my computer and what I need. (I've got the package list from my Parabola laptop as well).

The only error I received so far was something about the backlight but that's working anyways. I've had more trouble with the backlight on OpenSuse (the only thing that really bothered me).

5. dwarflord

dwarflord Registered Member

Just curious, why not Antergos? It's been treating me better than Manjaro (which once threw me a Kernel Panic error too!). They're both Arch under the hood.

@Balthazar Do you have a link to your reference? I'm a Thinkpad fan, but mostly of the older generations. I own a X200 and more recently a X230. Everything works out of the box, including backligt (no errors).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  6. Balthazar

Balthazar Registered Member

It is more of a conclusion of mine based on different Linux forums and articles like this one. To be honest I did not check out the cause of all complaints and I don‘t have one of the latest Lenovo laptops.
    I just think that today Lenovo isn‘t better or worse than most of the other brands (well, superfish wasn‘t so super). I guess I wanted to say that Lenovo laptops seem to have lost the special status (notably with Linux) Thinkpads had and still have. I don‘t know if Lenovo was ever meant to work well with Linux but as far as I can tell it did. Today it is getting more and more difficult just to install Linux that works out of the box. Not a Lenovo problem at all but one of a lot of modern laptops. I think of (U)EFI and all the different boot options, wifi problems and so on.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/choose-best-laptop-linuxubuntu/

Exactly! I have two older Thinkpads myself and almost every distro I tested worked out of the box.
    The backlight error is just something I have to look up in the journal and figure out what it's about. (The only error message in the boot up process, it is working anyway.)
    By the way I became a Thinkpad fan partly through this forum. Not long ago there were a few enthusiasts here (I think @mattdocs12345 and a few others) praising the Thinkpads (durability, build quality, displays). I bought mine not so long ago and I liked them very much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.