mandriva linux

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by lodore, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

hello,
    atm i have a mandriva live cd that was burnt from the iso image found on a dvd free with a pc mag.
    but the interface is gnome.
    i wanted to try the KDE interface so i went to the mandriva site and seems if i want to download the KDE mandriva one live cd iso image i need to register and pay!
    anyone know where i can get the KDE mandriva one iso image without paying or going on risky sites?
    I dont want to pay a yearly subscription just to get one live cd iso with the KDE interface.
    i have just watched a video of the 32 desktop and it looks even better than aero in vista.
    lodore

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thank you
    lodore

4. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Since I'm also interested, I visited that webpage and noted:
    KDE Version
    Warning: Contains non-free drivers
    o_O

Also, I was wondering if any of you would be kind enough to compare this distro to SimplyMEPIS (KDE version) for a Linux newbie. :doubt:

5. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

PS... lodore, would you please 'point me' to that 32(D?) desktop video?

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you can probably just install KDE from what you have. i don't know the command, but if you look for the package manager then search for kde desktop, that might do it. the best place to ask is on IRC on the freenode network and the mandriva channel.

non-free isn't talking about money. it means the driver source code is secret and it's a pre-compiled binary rather then something you can compile yourself after looking at the code.

7. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

by "non-free" i think they mean proprietary (or closed source) drivers.

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

SimplyMEPIS and mandriva are both very good and probably about as easy as each other you might as well just get whichever you like the sound of, i don't think it will matter too much.

9. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

Here is a direct link to the Mandriva KDS purely free version that doesn't contain non-free drivers or other products:

http://qa.mandriva.com/torrent/2007/mandriva-one-2007-free-kde.torrent

As far as comparing the two, SimplyMepis is supposed to be the easiest for a person new to Linux. However, Mandriva seems to be the best at detecting all your hardware, etc. Personally, I have found openSUSE10.2 with KDE to be extremely easy to navigate, and I also am a Linux newbie. I am trying to download both SImplyMepis and Mandriva liveCD's (DVD's), but takes a heck of a long time on 56k dial-up. Have also tried Ubuntu, but SUSE is much easier for me, not having to mess with all the command-line stuff. Ubuntu is kind of like going from DOS to Windows then back to DOS - Ugh!

10. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Ok, what I'm hearing (reading) is that Mandriva, MEPIS, or SUSE (but not Ubuntu) are about equally easy for an experienced Windows user to install, and from which to learn to use Linux - do I have that right? :oops:

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think ubuntu is the easiest by far for someone new to linux because it has the best support by a long, long way. any question you'll have will be most likely already answered in the forum, and questions are answered very quickly too. here's the Absolute Beginner Talk forum. you can see all the questions are answered very quickly.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

kubuntu is good too, it has the same forum (although i don't think that section)

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

sure here it is
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/projects/metisse
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xb7sz_mandriva-linux-2007-3d-desktop
    the iso live cd file is here
    http://www.mandriva.com/en/projects/metisse/download
    im downloading it right now.
    i hope the desktop stuff works on my old pc otherwise i will scream since its taken hours to download lol.
    i got the kde live cd iso as well thou.
    i wish someone could buy me that 2gb usb pen loaded with mandriva linux=D
    lodore

13. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

PcLinuxOS, MEPIS, LinuxMint, Xandros, Suse, Mandriva are all good for new users to Linux and for the experienced as well.

I'd say PCLinuxOS is the best in ease of use and hardware detection.

Of the BSD's PC-BSD is pretty easy, I think its easier than Ubuntu.

14. lodore

lodore Registered Member

when i downloaded unbuntu and burnt it to a cd it came out corropt somewhere down the line and didnt load correctly so i will have to redownload it sometime or get from a cover cd/dvd.
    lodore

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

there's a thread about metisse at ubuntuforums. i read you should be able to run it on fairly old hardware. i'm using beryl, which is another 3d desktop which makes everything look great :cool:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=345743

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nice desktop iceni!
    lodore

18. KDNeese

I will agree that there is wonderful support and a boat-load of information on Ubuntu. However, I still think some of the other distros are easier to get a grasp on since they work more like Windows and you can do things without having to learn all of the command-line scripts, which for me has been difficult. For example, I have been able to do everything in SUSE exactly like I've done for years in Windows. In fact, it is easier than Windows in that your Yast program (same as Control Panel in Windows) will locate, download and install the software for you. Have never had that happen in XP. Plus, I've never had to reboot (which is usually a given in XP with most installations). On the other hand, I've been trying to figure out how to download and install Opera in Ubuntu, and so far nothing has worked. On the other hand, I have updated SUSE, installed programs, security software, peformed system updates - all by 'clicking' on things, just like in Windows. To me that is a major drawback with Ubuntu. That's not saying I don't like Ubuntu, as I'm using the Ubuntu browser appliance (VMWare) right now. i will say that Ubuntu is much lighter and faster than SUSE - MUCH faster, in fact. I actually like the Gnome desktop and feel it is very easy to navigate (also understanding that there are versions of Ubuntu, such as Kubuntu, that come with the KDE desktop). For me, it simply boils down to my dislike for command-line functions. I'd much rather point and click.

19. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I agree with KDNeese

Without question Ubuntu is a top notch Distro, but.... I think Ubuntu biggest downfall is their hype machine. Against popular myth Ubuntu isn't so noob friendly.

New users to Linux have enough to do learning where things are and the new names of Linux software. They don't need the added stress running around in sudo & CL trying to get things configured.

Thankfully LinuxMint took Ubuntu and made it easier for those interested, everything works out of the box, control panels, push the button.....

You can use the Command Line in all Linux distros, some lessen the need (almost eliminate it) for CL and give new users a chance to grow with the OS.

20. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

It sounds to me as if SUSE will run too slow on my aging Windows PC, so which of the other 'easy-to-use' distros should I move to the top of my short-list?

21. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi,

To openSuse Users do not forget how close you are to M$ with your choice:- M$ and Novell get into bed together - will Novell get infected?.

My favorite also, very light with all the tools one needs, and is very much built from the base of Mandriva which what lodore is looking for.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

22. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Which distro (if any) has all the drivers I need for my laptop? ....Intel wireless, Alps touchpad, Sigmatel sound, and ATI Radeon video. :doubt:

Oops, almost forgot the Bluetooth (Toshiba). ;)

23. KDNeese

Thanks everyone for all the additional info you've provided. That is the one drawback for me regarding SUSE - the company involvement. I like the idea of an OS being true open source and not proprietary in any way. I am in the process of downloading Mandriva but on dial-up it will be awhile. Also, Fastgame, I took a look at the LinuxMint and it looks very impressive. Ahhh, what to do with all these choices and so little bandwidth...... I also took a look at the PCLinuxOS, but it looks a little too experimental for my taste. Read that they are delaying the release - so think I will wait until I know it's stable. One nice thing about the liveCD's, though, is that you can try these out until you find the one that fits you best. Kind of like shopping for clothes except a heck of a lot more fun. However, if it took me as long to get clothes as it does to download this stuff I'd be arrested for running around naked...:eek:

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i tryed mandriva metisse last night and it was slow due to my very old hardware in my old pc lol.
    it dont like pentium 3 and 256mb of ram rofl.
    so im gonna just try meandriva one with kde live cd
    lodore

25. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

if you'd asked in the forums you'd have found out you can install opera in ubuntu by just clicking on things too, infact you can configure all of ubuntu without ever touching the CLI (command line interface) you just need to ask, or search, for the anwser in the forum. one of the main reasons ubuntu is so popular is because it's perfect for new linux users.
    http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/07/06/02/

the deal done with MS means windows servers will work better with linux and office and OOo will work better together. MS has agreed to sell 1000s of copies of suse and there won't be any threat of anyone being sued which means more companies will use linux. i don't see how that's a bad thing o_O

if MS does sue anyone involved with linux (not just novell -suse) then novell will let those people, or comapny, use their patents to sue the MS back. that's why Novell helped setup the open invention network. MS can not sue any linux company it's just a fact because linux will sue back and linux is far more agile and will be able to rewrite code faster and with fewer set backs then MS can. anyone saying anything else is talking nonsense :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.