MANDRAKE 9 Review

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowy, Nov 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Sounds tempting, doesn´t it :D
    What´s the score at the moment for viruses attacking Linux? Do I hear 7 ?

On a more serious note: I like 8.2 and will give 9 a try as soon as this computer gets retired.
    Thnx for the link snowy :)

Regards,

Pieter

3. snowy

snowy Guest

Pieter

thank you.....you are most welcome........I also have 8.2....just not installed.. LOL.....my computer went bonkers just when I was about to install 8.2

eventually I hope to either dual or triple boot....I think Unicron gave me that idea.......alast my recent illness and recovering took the wind out my sails for awhile there an I just took it real slow and easy.......
    Linux is most definitely a very worth the look N See into.........many people have an intimidation by it when it really isn't as brutal on a user as many seem to believe.....if not on a dial up I would download the iso images right now.......but may the higher power of any dial-up user have mercy if that person trys to download 2000 MB......

snowman

oh Pieter...is it correct that 8.2 creates its own Partition during install.....if you know ?

4. Pieter_Arntz

8.2 doesn´t. You have to make at least two partitions before you install. The main partition and the swap.
    I used Partition Magic for that.
    After that the install is easy. Then you can use LILO (the bootmanager of Mandrake) to provide the choice at startup.
    My poor old test computer is a triple boot Win2k, Win Me and Mandrake 8.2 :D
    It´s running on a Pentium MMX and 64 MB RAM so it´s a bit sluggish. I hardly use Mandrake anymore since I can´t get the internetsharing to work.

Here´s a good place to start reading: http://www.littlewhitedog.com/reviews_other_00011.asp

Kind regards,

Pieter

5. snowy

snowy Guest

Pieter

thats the same set-up that I want.....sure glad that you advised me that 8.2 didn't make its own partition...I thought it did.....installing it may have caused alittle problem...LOL
    yes..also looking at Partition Magic....most like will get it.
    I have "Ghost".......but its on a CD with norton anti-virus an Everything will be install....thats no problem....its that its 200 MB.....somehow that does not seem correct....thats awful large !!

snowman

6. Pieter_Arntz

snowy,

I must correct myself. What I said is valid for dual booting, but not completely correct. Mandrake does make it´s own partitions, but when it does this itself, it overwrites any existing Windows partitions.
    So, on a clean install you don´t need something like Partition Magic, only if you want to dual boot.
    About downloading the ISO´s: on a dial up I guess it would be cheaper to buy a nice manual and get the CD´s thrown in. I think any decent bookstore or computershop should be able to help you out there.

Regards,

Pieter

7. FanJ

FanJ Guest

About Mandrake (I don't have any knowledgde about it :oops:):

Andreas Wagner made some really nice postings in the past at Becky's about his experiences to set it up.

8. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I run Mandrake 8.2 on one of my machines.

Mandrake does have a partitioning tool. Personally I think Diskdrake is the best tool for the job I have ever used. I threw Partition Magic in the trash, IMHO it is not a good product.

Mandrake's diskdrake CAN adjust current windows partitions in a limited way. It can shorten them from the end. The beginning of the partition can't be changed but if the partition is not full, it can be shortened safely as long as you defrag that partition first and do not set the option to arrange the files so they load faster. That option spreads them out on the partion, and we want them crammed into the corner until we are done. Once we are finished we can defrag the windows partition again with that option checked so everything is peachy again.

9. snowy

snowy Guest

Unicron

is diskdrake part of the 8.2 install....or needs to be purchased seperately ?

my os has well over 9000 MB free.....that should do it.

snowman

10. Pieter_Arntz

Hi snowy,

Have look at chapter 6 of this elaborate installation guide for Mandrake: http://www.webring-adsl.com/SNF/index.html
    I'm not sure what's the best way to go, maybe Unicron is more experienced.

Regards,

Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.