Manchester Evening News to bar non-Facebook users from commenting

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Pinga, Jan 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Shooting themselves in the foot. o_O

3. c2d

c2d Registered Member

It's a shame that some sites restrict you to Facebook and Twitter logins.
    If they continue with this policy the number of fake profiles will probably rise.

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Oh boy, I'd be breaking the TOS if I gave my full thought on this matter, but you really don't have to think too hard to understand what this is really going to enable. I'll make it short and sweet, more "civilized" discussion would just be extra..and still not guaranteed. Ever hear of fake Facebook profiles?

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Despite the seemingly insane popularity of Facebook, many sites that have tried to force it in the past have changed their minds. Spotify is a good example. I also question how many of these billion users who may be real, are using the service enough to consider them to be worthy of counting, a.k.a "power users". I know plenty of people that log into Facebook a couple of times a month just to update distant friends or do company-related work, and never touch it otherwise. I also know quite a few who have a Twitter account simply so they can follow celebs and other "entertaining" people (basically they have accounts just to watch train wrecks).

6. Techwiz

Techwiz Registered Member

Agreed :D

7. merisi

merisi Registered Member

I think if you look at the origins of the Manchester Evening News and what it once stood for it's sad that it forces people to have to use Facebook just to make a comment.

8. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Reasonably sure this is more to do with offloading the need to manage and maintain user databases (and keep them secure). Probably something a lot more appealing to smaller companies. Using facebook as a "one pass" to lower costs.

I think you will see a lot more of this sort of stuff happening to websites in future, what with the popularity of website breaches.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  9. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I suspect that the main goal is deterring obscene and/or vicious and/or aggressive posts, and reducing the moderation effort required to control them. Some people tend to be less polite when they're anonymous.

10. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

My local newspaper implemented this more than a year ago. Their reasons:

----
    rich

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Luckily The Graudian always admires foul language & abusive posts as long as they are intelligently written & don't contradict any major rules of logic as in non-cogent or badly defined arguments that are not syllogistic or logically internally valid.

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Some schools in New York USA are Banning the use facebook by students, apparently the school has somebody on patrol ready to suspend any student with a account.:blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.