Managing Backup Location Size

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CWBillow, Nov 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CWBillow

CWBillow Registered Member

I had thought that I read in the lit on v10 that there was the ability to manage the amount of space backups took... so that

If I set Drive D as the location for backups, and, after time, the destination fills up, the oldest backup(s) will be deleted.

I didn't see this in any of the options.

Am I wrong in thinking this is an available option? If not, where/how does it work?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

2. CatFan432

CatFan432 Registered Member

Chuck,

It’s a multi-step process.
    First create a folder on your drive “D” for example, where you want the backups to go.

Then from the main screen, select “Create and configure backup locations”, then “Create Backup Location” on the next screen.

The next screen is just a Welcome to Wizard screen, the one after that displays your file tree. Select the folder you set up in “D”.

The next screen displays your options, make your choices and finish the wizard.

The options only work on jobs set up in the Task Scheduler, whether they are set up to run automatically or be started manually, so you must create your backup jobs using the Task Scheduler.

When you are setting up your scheduled backup, and designating where you want it to go to, you need to find “Backup Locations” on the file tree and send it there. Look towards the very top of the file tree. The folder will also be visible under “D” on the file tree, do not send it there.

If you are sending it to a valid Backup Location, you should see, in the folder box where you would enter a file name, in grayed out text, the following: “No file name is required in this area”. If you don’t see “No file name is required in this area” you are not designating the Backup Location correctly.

Your image file names should be in this basic format: 2006_11_03_14_18_43_453.TIB
    This is ATI’s format, and if yours show up as names you chose and are not similar to this, then you have not picked the Backup Location correctly for your files.

CatFan

3. CWBillow

CatFan:

That's clear enough...

Thanks for the assist.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

4. CWBillow

CatFan432:

One (last?) question:

I set up the folders, and it worked great... but how, if I can't control the naming, do I know what goes with what -- like I do a full backup on Monday, and then differentials all week, and then a full backup on the next Monday, and diffs all that week, ...

Then, I want to restore the files from "Backup 1" -- how can I tell it (except a written record of the files created) and the diffs that then go with it?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

5. CatFan432

Chuck,

The automatic file naming protocol is actually pretty useful:

2006_11_21_17_06_12_831F.TIB
    2006_11_21_17_06_12_831F2.TIB

2006_11_21 - this part is the date
    17_06_12 - this part is the time of day
    831F - the 831 is random, will change with each new full backup. F (or D for differential) is the parent (full) backup, is actually F1.
    F2 is the first incremental, F3 the second, and so on. EDIT from another post, I learned that the 831 is part of the time of day, namely 831 milliseconds into the 12th second, not random.

Hope this helps,
    CatFan

Last edited: Nov 22, 2006
  6. CWBillow

CatFan:

That'll work... Damn but you are one clear "explainer". I really appreciate the help.

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

7. CatFan432

Chuck,

Just glad to be of use, thanks for the compliment.

CatFan

8. CWBillow

' Welcome.

CB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.