'Manage Acronis Secure Zone' - I just don't get it

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by pvsurfer, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Ok, I've read the pdf and I still don't understand the necessity/use of this option. And I sure don't have a clue as to where and how much space to devote to it.

Can anyone break this option down into a 'TI8 for Dummies' explanation?

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

It's a "safe" place that you can store your images where you don't have to worry about accidentally deleting them (or deleted by malware or whatever). If your images take up x amount of space, then you'll make your secure zone at least x in size if you want to have one available full backup.

It doesn't help much if your drive fails. The secure zone will go with it.
    Personally, I don't use it.

3. pvsurfer

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the Secure Zone is a 'tamper-proof' area on the backup drive which is dedicated to TI8. And that the allocated size is a 'guestimate' based on the size of existing images + anticipated growth... correct?

Assuming no accidental/viral deletion or corruption of my backup images, does creating a Secure Zone provide any better assurance of a successful restore?

4. wdormann

Correct.

It's pretty much just a partition that is invisible to Windows. It's still just bits on the platter of your hard drive, though. If the image is still there, then it really doesn't make any difference if you are restoring from it or an image on a "regular" partition.

5. DaHen

DaHen Registered Member

From what i have been reading around here is that most of us prefer using an external HD to put our image on. ;)

6. wdormann

I used a USB2 drive for quite a while and it worked great, but now I use a NAS box that I made. It's not as fast but it's more convenient and it's protected with RAID.

7. pvsurfer

I happen to use a 160GB ATA-100 drive in a removable (mobile) tray for storing my backups and I'm 'anal' about keeping my Anti Virus/Spyware systems up-to-date. Based on what you've said, I don't see much value in employing an Acronis Secure Zone.

Thanks for setting me straight on this option - much appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.