Man-In-The-Cloud Owns Your DropBox, Google Drive -- Sans Malware

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Minimalist, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

http://www.darkreading.com/cloud/ma...-google-drive----sans-malware-/d/d-id/1321501

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

LOL, that's why you should never use these services for storing important data. Or even better, don't use them at all.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015
  3. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

By your logic, nobody should ever use a computer. Or telephone. Or e-mail.

Social engineering isn't a new vulnerability and it isn't unique to cloud services.

4. Rasheed187

Nope, it's just not a smart idea if you ask me, when it comes to data storage. I've never been a fan of these cloud based services.

5. Rolo42

Rolo42 Registered Member

Because of social engineering? Because that's what the attack was. Nothing is invulnerable to social engineering attacks.

6. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Agreed. I don't like cloud-storage as well, and so when I need to use them I first encrypt the files, make a sha512sum of them, and then store these sums into a very safe place. Then I download the file, check the sums, and if they're OK I de-crypt them.

7. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

amarildojr has a good approach to the matter. So long as the PW/PP is Very strong ! But why trust Anybody else with your data/files etc ? I don't. Plus ALL clouds have real time streaming via fat pipes to you know who. Even if right now some can't be decrypted, @ some point they might be able to ! If it's stuff that's confidential etc, it might not matter, but it's still your stuff, not theirs !

8. Rasheed187

I understand what you're saying, but my point is that it's never a good idea to store important data in the cloud. They basically proved that these type of services can be owned with a simple attack method, that's also hard to discover. But I have to admit, this "Switcher" tool does sound a lot like malware to me, so it's indeed nothing new.

9. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

agree with this. not sure what the use is anyway since i got plenty of local HDD storage. when Dropbox got caught changing their TOS and wanted to claim they owned your files i said no thanks. when someone's gonna do you a favor and give you something for "free" watchout, because there's almost always a catch.

10. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

That's why Hash verifications are good. Not only it's REALLY hard to crack a good passphrase, it should be really hard to "fake" a 512sum.

11. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Or use them for data that you want to be public. I have a decade long history of community activism on Google's servers across several accounts and services. Using Google for this was a conscious choice because a lot of it is correspondence with people in government who were not being transparent in any way and were trying to do run arounds and make decisions in secret that had huge impacts in local communities without being accountable to those communities.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.