Mamutu vs PrevX SafeOnline

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by EscapeVelocity, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

Running it with DefenseWall and Avira.

I had em both running but that caused computer slowdown. (Its and older computer).

Dont they do similar things, except Mamutu is system wide and PrevX Safeonline is browser centric. Also SafeOnline has some additional banking features protecting passwords and usernames.

Im leaning PrevX SafeOnline. But open to advice.

2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

How about none of them? DefenseWall + Avira + common sense will keep you absolutely free from any malware troubles, and as long you are free from malware troubles you will bank safely. In my opinion adding Mamutu is completely useless, and adding Prevx a quite an overkill too.

If you really want something added to protect you while banking (in fact you are already protected) why not Keyscrambler Free (which you already using in your other setup) or Trusteer Rapport Free.

3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

There is a significant difference in the protection DW and Prevx SOL will offer against keylogging, screen grabbing, clipboard logging. DW will tell you it is happening, but will not stop it unless you terminate the process. Prevx SOL will stop it dead. That is a very important distinction when it comes to the subject of protecting passwords, banking login details etc. I hope to see DW change this behaviour in future releases, but it has been like that for a long time.

DW is very solid protection, but won't protect you from yourself if you allow something onto your system as 'Trusted'. In contrast Prevx will still protect your most critical information.

Mamutu and Prevx SOL are very different concepts, but I would argue Prevx is much much stronger if you are after a realtime 'second opinion' to your main AV. At least that has been my personal experience as a user of both.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

safeonline and mamutu arent even comparable products...

5. EscapeVelocity

I took off Mamutu and the computer seems to be doing a lot better. So I think Im going to go with PrevX SafeOnline.

User doesnt like KeyScrambler so its not an option.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

6. EscapeVelocity

I have a license key for Mamutu, can I transfer it to another computer?

7. EscapeVelocity

PS - I didnt try Trusteer Rapport because I use Opera. TR covers the Big 3 and Safari. PrevX SafeOnline covers the Big 3 and Opera.

8. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I thought I had read in a couple of threads that SOL and Sandboxie don't play well together? Is this not the case?

If they can function together, would Online Armor then present an issue?

(My current real-time setup is listed below).

Many thanks in advance for your helpful replies. :cool:

9. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thread is A vs B. Probability factor for this thread to get locked = high.

10. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

I am not sure about that. Seems like the moderators are more paranoid about A vs B when it comes to traditional AVs. Another A vs B thread has been going on strong - https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=272405

How much more clearly does this thread need to scream 'close me' when its title itself contains the dreaded word 'vs' ?

11. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

The A vs B rule primarily applies to the anti-virus section, where the products being compared are virtually identical. Whether an AV scanner alone or a full blown suite, the software in that product space are the same in architecture and functionality, so, asking which is better or which should you use is pointless as it almost always comes down to user opinions and personal favorites.

As to this thread, like Scoobs72 and firzen771 pointed out, the two products in question are very different in architecture and function. I view the thread starters question as more "what is the difference between these products, how they work, and what they are intended to do." In that regard, this is a valid topic of discussion. People can discuss the different approaches for each product and how they complement the other products the person is using.

A last point about posting in threads, firing off the "this is an A vs B - it'll be closed." People really need to stop doing that. If you find a thread that you believe violates a policy, use the Report Bad Post function to let the staff know about it. Don't post in the thread itself because we may see things differently than you and leave the thread open. The "A vs B" comments then simply end up taking the thread off-topic. Here, one person mentioned it. Another commented on it. And now I've had to reply about it, in hopes to not have the thread go so far off-topic that the thread starter doesn't get any more helpful replies. No doubt someone will now want to comment on my post and debate the nature of "A vs B" which will further take the thread off-topic. Well, don't do it. I won't reply further on this policy and any post that is made here about it will be removed.

The very next posts in this thread ought to be about Mamutu and PrevX.

12. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Safe online is a browser specific safe guard. Mamutu is a behavior blocker. If your looking for browser protection for sensitive information than I would be looking at Safeonline. You already have defensewall which is a HIPS and you have an AV/AM in avira. You don't need to be adding a behavior blocker to the mix. safeonline is fairly transparent and I don't think that it runs high. It might make a good addition. Give it a try and see how it plays with your current setup.

13. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Trouble with trying Prevx is that it can't be trialed :D

That is weird, to say at least.

14. kjdemuth

No thats true. Safe online does run but it installs the "free" version of prevx. I say free because it detects on scans but doens't clean.

15. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

You'd be better off just getting the Facebook version which includes full functionality.

16. kjdemuth

Yeah that was the one that I was referring to. :p

17. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

How can I buy something if I can't see how it does the job ? :p

I think Prevx is pioneer in that area , never mind, I just don't like that idea, that's all.

18. kjdemuth

I kind of feel the same way. I wouldn't mind if it just installed safe online. I hate when something else is added without my consent.

19. s23

s23 Registered Member

I think if you ask PrevxHelp for a trial key, he can give one for you test the full version.

Lookin at your setup, Prevx. Blacklist + whitelist + analisys behaviour + safeonline. Safeonline will complement the protection of Defensewall protecting credentials and against *loggers. The blacklist + analisys behaviour + age/popularity detections complement Avira detections.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  20. ace55

ace55 Registered Member

Free version is exactly the same as the full version, without blocking or cleaning of malware. Thus, you can test it out to see if it works with your setup before purchasing. Free version is like a trial, except you can also use it forever if your desires are only for Prevx to inform you when your machine is compromised and you should restore from an image.

That said, Prevx is the best layer to add to your setup. Probably unnecessary, however Mamutu + HIPS is redundant. Prevx SOL does do a strong job of protecting the browser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.