Malwarebytes vs SUPERAntiSpyware vs Prevx vs.... vs 1000 samples

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

There is one customer support guy over there (he's also a mod) who all by himself fits that description, in any experience I have ever had with him.
    But the others are all pretty good... especially the volunteers.
    I chalk it up to one guy who needs to change his line of work
    rather than a whole forum that is arrogant and dismissive. :)

2. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Page42:

thank you.

Without naming names,I thank we may be speaking of the same person.
    I in no way mean to disparage the efforts and sacrifice of the volunteers on the Malwarebytes Forums.

As in most support Forums,these hardy and giving individuals are the heart and soul of support for end users.

3. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

numbers talks ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ walks ! :)

hill Malwarebytes :D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2010
  4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

False positives are experienced by most but system files.

I doubt many would be hitting system files?

Show me a post or a log where a system file has been hit.
    False Positive Reports

How about 2.5 billion testimonials?

As far as I'm concerned there's a great bunch of fellas over at MBAM's forum and sure some of may get a tad shirty every now and then but don't we all?

5. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I've had a different experience. As I've said before, MBAM is no doubt a highly efficacious malware removal tool. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who had only a fundamental grasp of computers (mine isn't much greater than basic anyway) because its high malware detection rate is offset by its inordinately high f/p rate. If I had removed everything it flagged as malware from my computer it would probably be a doorstop now. :mad:

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Well I've let it remove everything it flags on many machines and ain't had a doorstop yet.

Can you post or pm me a scan log that would of turned your pc into a doorstop if you allowed MBAM to remove everything found.

7. Daveski17

I often wondered if it was the heuristics scan that was too eager. I know MBAM normally scores higher than SAS on many tests but it doesn't always mean that it makes it a better scanner in the real world. I just stopped trusting it. It would be a good tool to run on a badly infected computer but for normal usage I prefer SAS. In fact I have been running SUPERAntiSpyware exactly 18 months to this very day & I have never had any problems with it ever (touch wood). I can't say that for MBAM or Spybot S&D. The difference being that I think MBAM can be useful if you are careful with it. As for Spybot, suffice to say that I finally exorcised that app from my computer just over a year ago. There are few programs I regret downloading & that was one of them. In an emergency I might use MBAM, I'd rather walk up the M6 motorway with broken glass & nails in my shoes than ever use Spybot again, but that's another story! o_O

8. Daveski17

That's good to hear (although there's a first time for everything).

As far as I know the scan logs uninstalled with MBAM. If I remember correctly, several people reported on the MBAM forums that their computers had become inoperable after removing flagged 'malware'. At least twice I quarantined drivers that turned out to be benign. Luckily I had not deleted them. In fact, the second time it happened I realised that it was an f/p & returned it to the computer without even visiting the MBAM forums. After about a half dozen more instances of this & the updating mirror gremlins I uninstalled MBAM.

I'm sure MBAM is a great anti-malware tool, I just couldn't trust it after a bit. :doubt:

9. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

You're in the minority. If MBAM was truly "over-eager" then all of the popular malware removal forums would not be recommending it. I'm not saying the MBAM is perfect, but there is a quarantine in the event file(s) need to be restored.

FWIW I've been using MBAM since Q1 2008 on hundreds of pc's over the past 2 years and never once had it remove a critical system file.

With a conventional uninstall the logs are not removed. If you use the clean tool then they will be removed.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  10. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

i guess you mean hail MBAM....
    but....hitman takes the cake...952 to 931 of mbam...A2 is 945....so hail HMP...hail A2:D

11. Daveski17

I'm not saying that MBAM is not a good app, however I found it to have too many f/ps for comfort. As I already had SAS on my computer I eventually decided to remove some of the anti-malware apps I had. Spybot & MBAM went, SAS & SpywareBlaster stayed.

I don't mind being in a minority, I don't like Firefox or IE 8 either.

12. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

But only problem with A2 is FPs:p
    so 1st HITMAN PRO:thumb:
    Then MBAM:thumb:

13. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

hmmm.....many.....or a few :p feel the same about mbam too....check the last few posts ;)

14. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

But in my experience i had only 1 or 2 FPs with MBAM Heuristics.
    A2 gave more FPs for me than MBAM .:doubt:

15. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

For all you have you that are complaining about MBAM's FP's

Would you rather have lower detection with lower FP's or better detection with more FP's?

16. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Not only are you in the minority, but you are the President of the Vocal Minority. ;) Seriously, 8 posts on this young thread from you, each one alluding to false positives from MBAM. I'd say the average Wilders member reading your posts got the message after, oh, say, the first 4 posts.

Thing is, the majority aren't vocal, and it's a good thing they aren't. I can't imagine myself posting 8 times to this thread, carrying on about how terrific MBAM is for not having hardly any false positives. But I feel that is true. I just don't go on and on about it.

17. ratwing

ratwing Guest

Page 42 said:
    "Thing is, the majority aren't vocal, and it's a good thing they aren't. I can't imagine myself posting 8 times to this thread, carrying on about how terrific MBAM is for not having hardly any false positives."

I dont know,where Malwarebytes,and certain other applications are concerned,I feel any minority dissent ends up pretty well chastised.

That alone may account for a lack of divergent views.

Many would feel sharing their experiences not worth the gang-beat down.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

No gang beat downs here, that I can see. I just wanted to make one post to try to counter balance the many from Daveski17. But definitely seeing no beat downs. I supported your contention that there is a sour and surly support team member on the MBAM forum, right? No beat down there. :)

19. Daveski17

Thanks ratwing, I can see having an opinion on these forums that is a minority one is decidedly unpopular.

In my country we have a right to express an opinion. I think it is important to remember what John Stuart Mill said about the tyranny of the majority.

20. Daveski17

If it makes you feel any better I won't mention MBAM & its proclivity to exhibiting false-positives any more.

It doesn't hide or stop the truth though.

21. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Having an opinion is one thing. Saying the same thing in every post is what I was getting at.
    But believe me, I meant no disrespect.
    Afterall, I am just expressing my opinion to you!
    No hard feelings, I hope.

22. Daveski17

This might sound ridiculous but I would rather have a slightly lower detection rate than an overly aggressive scanner. The best anti-malware application is brain.exe. In other words, using your head. SAS is fine for me. It's a pretty good scanner & removed a trojan from my computer after I had rather stupidly been surfing Russian journal sites.

I feel safe with it. I had other anti-malware apps but I honestly think that they were superfluous so I uninstalled them.

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

That's 9 posts saying the same thing. It's not a matter of making me feel any better. It's a matter of wondering why you keep repeating yourself?

24. Daveski17

No hard feelings mate. I just have a bit too much time on my hands at the moment! ;)

I am sorry about repeating myself, I'm not a fanatic, just interested in other people's experiences & I probably get carried away. The pub will be open soon LOL! :thumb:

Anyway, debating the pros & cons of anti-malware applications helps everybody. I wish I could have spoken to you guys a couple of years ago when I was a bit of a noob.

I've learned a lot on these forums.

25. Daveski17

Oh crap! I've turned into a troll. :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.