Malwarebytes Pro -- Worth using?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hungry Man, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I got a copy from a friend who's moving to a mac.

Is it worth using? Setup in sig.

Anyone have info on the way it blocks?

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It has very high detection rate of new and widespread malware. There are 2 guards, an on-execution AM and IP blocker (both blacklists).

It depends on your needs if you want it or not, but I think MBAM is very valuable either on-demand or real-time.

3. Hungry Man

Hm, blacklists? That's kinda meh, I thought it was a behavioral blocker.

Can you go into details about what the two do? I assume the on-execution is that it checks new processes against the blacklist?

4. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Gerard

5. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

MBAM's footprint? This is most important to me and then I consider a product.

6. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello raven211:

With the greatest respect, perhaps the footprint should be a great deal lower on your list of concerns.

If the footprint is still a concern, maybe it's time to upgrade your hardware.

HTH :)

7. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello Hungry Man:

MBAM PRO teamed with a best-in-breed anti-virus application is an excellent anti-malware begiinning in a potent layered defence.

Cheers :)

8. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

It does slow you down a tiny bit, especially if you already have one real-time scanner, ram is about 30mb, but that doesn't matter much

9. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

What's not to like? Great detection, great removal ability and a lifetime license!

10. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

It is a great product, for sure.

However I think in certain moments he leaves your computer slower (When I used a while ago).

Anyway, I particularly don't use products such as MBAM in real time.

11. Rompin Raider

Rompin Raider Registered Member

I'll drink to that!

12. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I don't know, I can see where he's coming from. Too much security can make things unusuable - like using loads of link safety checker browser plugins on, rather than something potentially lighter/quicker like HOSTS or DNS type solutions.

In this case, Malwarebytes works perfectly well even on my netbook - well worth it :) Lately, in my personal testing I haven't been able to find anything that Panda and MBAM together can't detect.

Here's a 20% off code: 5MU-NBU-DFR ;)

13. Hungry Man

I have a powerful com

I see the mbam process in my task manager but it's using barely anything.

EDIT: What I'd really like to know is, what makes this different from a regular realtime antivirus?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  14. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

You don't get what it is to be a gamer I see. One swapping-period in a MP game and you've lost because of your security software. Go back and read on the Internet.

So why do I take this personal - simple - if you question my computer with no knowledge about my knowledge level, with no insight in the gaming-world, then you should not even reply the way you did. End of story.

15. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I heard that he looks where the AVs typically not search.

In addition, he has an excellent Web filter.

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

The Website Protection blocks IP addresses, which works for all network connections. I don't why they renamed it when the older name is more accurate.

17. Hungry Man

And how does the blacklist work differently from a regular AV?

edit: Eh, it was using a lot of resources. More than MSE would. Uninstalling, I'll give it to a friend.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  18. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

I don't have to read. I have a computer.

19. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's on-execution, not on-access. There are less signatures, because they focus on recent, prevalent, and threats that AVs miss.

20. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

The IP blocker will completely block a site from opening. It also has the benefit of allowing a site to open and links/ads to the malicious site will be prevented from opening. Meaning, any connection to the malicious site is blocked.

Some AVs with their web scanning, will allow you to browse a website while scanning in the background, alerting you to a possible virus say in an .exe download and so on.

Which is more effective? I find IP blocking to be quicker with browsing, meaning, either a site opens or it doesn't. The web scanning can be scanning each page as it's opening and loading - and users may complain, 'my browsing is slow now compared to before'.

What raven211 was saying about gaming, I agree. You basically want no AV/firewall running in the background scanning traffic or updating. In simple terms, think of it as reaction times, and some people are already constrained by a slower than usual internet service, any additional lag will mean the difference between doing well (shooting someone in the head when you actually click your mouse), or wanting to smash your keyboard as your 'click' wasn't registered as quickly as another player (even though you know you splattered their brains first). Obviously there are other elements at play, how many people are on the 'games server', some people's internet service provider is hosting the games server, junk mouse with a slower polling rate, and so on, but AV/firewall software are major causes of slowdown.

Think of at the drag races, guys are ripping out their back seats, spare tyre, replacing leather/electric seats with cloth, running on a low fuel tank, everything to get the weight of the car down. You don't see them lining up with three adults in the back seat, full fuel tank adding extra 500lbs weight to the car. Be the difference between a 12.1 second quarter mile and a 11.9 therefore, having a 11 second car. ;)

Back to the topic. :p MBAM's realtime protection and IP blocking can be turned off easily by right-clicking on the system tray icon, and unchecking these options.

21. Hungry Man

Thanks for the info. Uninstalled it =p I thought it would be lighter than it was.

22. clayieee

clayieee Registered Member

hey what about disabling the real time protection so you can use it on demand scan, dont remove a very good product,

23. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I have used the Pro version in the past. I think it's good. But then I just switch back to their free version, coz the pro version's real-time scanner slowed down my system. o_O

So now I am a happy user of their Free version. :D

24. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

You can read raymond.cc for information on the actual performance affect of having various antivirus/antimalware programs on the computer. Memory usage is meaningless on any decent computer, the only thing that matters is how it interacts with the rest of the running software.

TBH, I wonder what people are doing wrong when even my netbook handles MBAM fine. Check your autoruns and services :)

e.g. for gaming, it makes almost no difference, and that was on a much old version of Malwarebytes:
    http://www.raymond.cc/antivirus/gamefps.html

No effect on file input/output even on the old version:
    http://www.raymond.cc/antivirus/fileio.html

Much faster than MSE on extracting compressed files:
    http://www.raymond.cc/antivirus/extract.html

Peak memory usage significantly lower than MSE (not that this even matters for a modern PC):
    http://www.raymond.cc/antivirus/peakmem.html

I've seen Malwarebytes Pro set up on systems with loads of those "WebRep", "Link Scanner" and "WebGuard" type plugins - in that case, the addition of Malwarebytes IP scanner will logically make browsing and downloads even slower. Just got to rationalise which webblocker is more effective IMO.

In my case, DNS (Clearcloud) and HOSTS (MalwareDomainList) cover bad domains, and Malwarebytes covers bad IP addresses. With DNS service turned off, a large HOSTS file is okay on a modern machine. An alternative DNS means the processing is done offsite, so no performance hit (and browsing is faster at peak times, used to slow down a lot until I discovered ClearCloud). I test continually and find it very difficult to go to an infected website, although sometimes hours old zero-day sites do slip past.

25. Hungry Man

Memory usage isn't meaningless. And I'm looking at CPU and Disk I/O when I'm talking about performance moreso than memory. I like to keep my computer clean of whatever programs/ files I can.

The gaming link shows a bit of a hit to performance. That's something I wouldn't get with any other of my security programs.

Thanks for the links, I was really just trying it out. Upon further thought I really can't see any reason to use it on my system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.