Malwarebytes or CounterSpy v3 ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jean Marc, Jan 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Do everyone a favor and dont post misinformation on forums.Good info fine,but bad information is not needed ,period!

2. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Registered Member

Hi everyone,
    I have never posted in this forum before but I have been lurking around here for 3 or 4 years
    and I have learned quite a bit about computer securities fromyou guys.
    I have found Malwarebytes to be a excellent program and I bought it the 1st.
    week after getting recommendation from this site. I have also recommend this
    software to many of my friends who had problems with malwares, all with positive results.
    My personal feeling is that the guys who are knocking this software down are
    all poster boys for "Evidence Eliminator" software.:D

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Ahhh, the plot thickens, huh. LOL :D :D :D

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

cheers, this was the post i was waiting for ;)

5. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

It has just been tested against current malware http://ssupdater.com/modules/Forums/index.php?showtopic=4423&st=60

You will see it misses about 93%.

Interesting to see that it mises the 1-2% that A2 and Avira miss - so countering the nonsense banded about that it is designed to catch what the others miss. (note, A2 catches all that Avira misses and Avira catches all that A2 misses)

I know that you will come back with some nonsense that the test is flawed etc - yeah, flawed in such a way so that it onlt adversly effects your app!

Also - you are completly confused in your terminology - talking about familys / vendors etc. Please, in future, use the term "vendor" properly else it can be misleading.

You say 70K fingerprints which covers 25% of detection - so in total, your detection is about 280,000. This is only about 10% of the 2.7 Million signatures something like A2 has. This would explain why MBAM compares so badly.

If you remember, the original poster asked if MBAM would complement Avira. Since, the only evidence is that it misses everything thet Avira misses - it would not be a good choice.

MZ

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I personally think signature based protection is eventually a deadend street,but for now any argument against or in favor for MBAM is defeated by the fact that many proffessionals use MBAM as their primary cleaning tool,and why as their are so many tools out there........ask them !!
    As we like to say '' proof of the cake is in the eating '' .
    I don't think lightly in testing inside a controlled environment but results in the wild is what matters.

7. Someone

Someone Registered Member

8. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

People keep paying attention, the d00d registered here since that whole fiasco, he is from SSUpdater! He just comes here on a crusade/revenge mission to discredit Wilder's community and their favorite proven apps cus they catch w/e u could get infected with from there. Manager of a large corp. my ass :cautious:

9. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

Yes, I have. A bunch of people who dont like the results made unsubstanciated claims that the tests were flawed and yet had no evidence to back these up. All very childish and typical of the members in question.

Anyway, I will leave it at that.

MZ

10. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

Sorry about being off-topic, but I am French, and I would like to thank you for teaching me that "mon cul" could be literally translated. It's always nice to learn some new expressions :)

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Like to hear comments from folks that that take cleaning comp. for a living and what are their favorite tools.
    Fear that this thread end up in a theoretical timewasting Yes or No game. :D

12. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Salut,

In that case pardon my French :p

13. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

People working in the malware combat field are different opinion, they prefer to use MBAM. A2 is not on their tool list.

14. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

You mean the group here - check out other security expert sites - you will see what they think of MBAM

15. Someone

I see, thanks for pointing it out.

The actions of the mods and admins at that forum is ridiculous and they have completely discredited themselves as testers.

16. Someone

I've seen Bleeping Computer and SpywareInfo, among others, that recommend MBAM. I assume they're considered security expert sites? o_O

17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

This is the best you can provide?

Sorry,but people around here at local computer repair outlets use Malwarebytes as one of their cleaning tools they use on customers computers and thus this in a real world environment,not some controversial website :thumbd:

18. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

I have checked out e.g. my own malware hunter staff on my own security site, all well-trained and graduated security experts. Their vote is clearly for MBAM. And I am informed also that other malware hunters on other sites are same opinion. BTW, I vote also for MBAM ;)

19. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

Given that the member was asking a simple qiestion about what he should run alongside Avira, this has got out of hand. Running MBAM with Avira would NOT be the best solution.

If the questioner had stated he wanted to infect his pc on purpose and play about with removing malware etc, then perhaps MBAM could be considered as a tool - but this was NOT his question.

The problem is that many of the members here miss the context of the question and always just put forward MBAM as the best option when in may cases it is a clearly inapropriate solution.

If someone here wants to give me a sample of a few hundred nasties they are sure are the kind MBAM has the advantage in removing over other AMs, then PM me and we will see how it compares against A2 and Avira. Happy to have just a folder of malware or live infections on a VM.

Your call.

MZ

20. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

You didn't answer my call.

21. Max Zorin

Max Zorin Former Poster

I think the time has come to do some testing and stop talking about opinioins. it would be relatively simple to capture say 500 - 100 live and current nasties and see who detects and removes them.

Do it or back down.

MZ

22. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

You are disappointing me, obvious you didn't read my reply at all, and in case I am not correct and you did, not with care. Please read again. I was clearly talking about real security experts, not about self-declared ones [...]
    Choice is up to you.

23. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Testing? There is no need for testing. It's used in a REAL WORLD application. Testing is not needed,as it's used and it successfully cleans up customers computers,so why is there a need for "testing"?

Real world use is where it counts,period.

24. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Mastertech, is that a full install/detection/removal/dregs left behind of each sample report?

25. egghead

egghead Registered Member

He sure has a lot of time available for an indivual in such a position. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.