Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ZeroVulnLabs, Jan 25, 2016.

1. Djigi

Djigi Registered Member

Cruelsister test is on youtube...not so good results for MBARW

Malwarebytes Anti Ransomware Beta 8 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeDrsiflQt0

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

What the hell, I wonder how this is possible.

3. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

We detected a bug post release which is causing this. The team is already working on it. Btw in the case of the detection but ransom notice being dropped in the Desktop, this is normal as ARW does not prevent (yet) the ransom notice or Desktop background change. Our priority for now is to prevent file encryption.

Also it seems the VM only has a few documents, which is a less than ideal way to test an anti-ransomware technology that is behavior based (rather than static policy-based).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
  4. Although true, you can't ask CS to do a regression test (that is your job), it is a 'cursory' pen test as you challenged her to do (so better :blink: )

5. Rasheed187

OK, so it was a caused by a serious bug. You would think that your own developers would have spotted this, before the release!

To be honest, I would be happy if it could save most of my files. If such a tool could spot the attack in its early phase, and gives an option to block the process from modifying files, that would already be quite good.

6. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

Our objective is to prevent all file encryption, and eventually add a feature to recover the ones that got encrypted (as well as restore the system changes like desktop background and ransom notices). It is still beta and is under heavy development, so please be patient with us. We have some other cool new projects going on at the same time so our "speed" is suffering a bit.

7. Rasheed187

Good point, but important files can also be protected with file/folder protection tools. And I rather have a behavioral monitoring tool that is able to notify me about a file encryption attack 100% of the time, even with some lost data.

Sounds good to me.

8. Rasheed187

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

We await your first product to test

10. guest

guest Guest

It's not that easy.
    If you monitor "the same routine", they simply change their behaviour/routine.
    :thumb:
    I'm curious, too.

11. Rasheed187

I'm afraid you both missed the point. I was more or less trying to figure out why tools like HMPA and MBARW sometimes get bypassed. Is it because they try to stop encryption in the last phase of the attack? Perhaps developers can explain this.

Just read about the way ransomware works, it's not magic. They all do the same, instead of directly encrypting files, they try to bypass HIPS with process hollowing, and they perform some other stuff to make it harder to recover files. So what if you simply block this, isn't that already enough?

12. guest

guest Guest

Is it enough to block these things? Maybe.
    But if a new ransomware-variant comes out, sometimes "better/improved" detection-routines are needed:
    HMPA: "CryptoGuard v4.5 improves detection for ransomware doing partial encryption."
    MBARW: "New ransomware variants of DMA Locker, CryptoXXX and CryptoJoker are now detected"

Edit: one of the main reasons:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2016
  13. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I believe AV/AS tools get bypassed because the malware coders find new attack vectors.

14. Rasheed187

I was specifically talking about anti-ransomware tools. Even HIPS sometimes get bypassed when new techniques are discovered by malware writers, like new code injection methods for example.

Correct, but there aren't that many techniques that ransomware can use, that's why they perform the same routine. I believe tools like HMPA and MBARW will probably only monitor the second part of the attack, they purely try to prevent massive file modification, by monitoring the file system. But in theory you can already stop them in an earlier phase. If you block code-injection/process hollowing, outbound network access and the running of vssadmin.exe and bcdedit.exe, you probably have already neutralized most ransomware.

15. guest

guest Guest

"in theory" ;)
    HMP.A can block code-injection/process hollowing, but i don't know if MBARW is able to do it too.
    Some variants doesn't even need to connect to the outside before they begin to encrypt files.
    If they were "Anti-Executables" then they could block it earlier.
    Blocking the second part of the attack can be sufficient as long as the attack is identified "in time".

16. Rasheed187

I say "in theory", because I don't do malware testing anymore. So I can't know for sure how ransomware exactly works, but I think it's safe to say that if you block certain routines in stage one, they will fail to work correctly. So in theory HMPA should already tackle certain ransomware variants when it blocks process hollowing. But like I said, I believe that HMPA and MBARW are more focused on behavioral monitoring of suspicious writes to the file system.

17. ance

ance formerly: fmon

Where is Rasheed Antiransomware 0.01 beta? :D

18. haakon

haakon Guest

Everyone already knew that 7930 of your posts ago. :argh:

19. Rasheed187

Couldn't you come up with a better name? :D

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/malwarebytes-anti-ransomware-beta.383333/page-12#post-2620520

I actually explained in this topic how ransomware works (stage 1 and stage 2), but I can't know for sure how security tools try to tackle them, and why they sometimes fail. Please do some reading first before you come up with dumb and unfounded statements. :D

But please do enlighten us, since you seem to be the malware expert. Can you perhaps tell me how WAR manages to stop ransomware, because the developers of MBARW think their approach is much more advanced. Can you tell me a bit more about the AI, or is it comparable to a "pimped up" anti-exe tool?

20. EvjlsRain

EvjlsRain Registered Member

Hi everyone, I would like to ask: is this tool still updated and equivalent to the antiransomware module on MB3 or not?
    The reason why I ask is when I tested MB3 with many ransomwares, it catched 100% (signatures) but when I disabled all modules and just left antiransomware protection on, it didn't catch any of the ransomwares, 0% efficacy

thank you

21. guest

guest Guest

I think the standalone version won't get any update anymore

22. guest

guest Guest

The standalone version has been fully integrated into MBAM 3.0.
    But if you only need the Anti-Ransomware protection and not all other modules included with MBAM 3, you can continue to use the MBARW-standalone (as a perpetual beta, see below)
    @guest
    They continue to provide a standalone of Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware as a perpetual beta:

23. guest

guest Guest

Thanks I thought only MBAE was going to be perpetual beta

24. guest

guest Guest

BTW in their forum the last beta is from September.
    So they haven't release a new beta after the final release.

25. EvjlsRain

EvjlsRain Registered Member

I tested the app hours ago. After a few minutes, it automatically updated to the latest database and component package (5 minutes ago, they were lower numbers)

Tested again several ransomwares I found on 14/01/2017 and some older ones. The result was so-so. Many bypasses unfortunately

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.