Malwarebytes anti-malware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by normishmael, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. normishmael

normishmael Guest

Any feedback on Malwarebytes Anti-malware?
    I have been using it for a week,and I am impressed with the fast-scan and frequent updates.
    Any info on detection rates?
    thanks

2. jdd58

jdd58 Registered Member

3. hammerman

hammerman Registered Member

Only problem I have with MBAM is there is no facility to exclude folders from the scan like SAS or A-Squared. It takes many hours to scan my FDISR snapshots. In fact, I haven't been able to complete a full scan yet. I have reported this to MB. Apart from this, I have a lot of confidence in this program. It found traces of some old malware on my PC and it cleaned up a friends PC for him.

4. normishmael

normishmael Guest

jdd58 & Hammerman:
    Thanlks for quick reply.
    It looks like I didnt do so bad for myself with A-Squared and Malawarebytes Antimalware.

Ditto on the absence of a white list.
    I have several Gigs of pictures,pdfs,ect that are static.
    If A-squared did not have the white list it would be a real problem with its scan speed.
    Malwarebytes is fast enough I dont feel like shooting my machine.
    Still it would be nice.
    What IS the ignore list option in Malwarebytes?
    is this if you have decided to ignore a detection,it gives you a second chance to deal with it?

5. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

We are talking about the best way to include the ability to exclude folders , it will be added in one of the next few app updates .

We have a few on the edge applications in defs that you can tell MBAM to ignore and you will not see them in scan results again .

The full scan is not needed to catch live malware . MBAM works with autoload points , memory and all known malware hotspot folders in the quick scan . To give you an idea as to how well it works I have never needed to do a full scan to test new defs . If quick misses something I add a new hotspot folder and that problem is solved . I am thinking about adding an addition to quick scan that will help get the rare malware files that were saved to non standard folders by the user , scan files created/modified within the last X days , still not sure what X should be . If its fast enough and does catch a few more traces we will add it to quick scan .

We are talking about a few other ways to give better customized scan options . One thing we are talking about is a "scan only executable files" option for the full scan . This will not be by extention BTW , it will be by MZ . If it is faster we might add it .

6. hammerman

That's good news. Will this come through as part of a normal update?

7. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Wel im using it for some months now and couldn't be happier. It is extremly light, it updates fast, very compatible with other security software, very helpfull,fast and friendly support and unlike other programs it doesn't scan for silly cookies but only goes after real malware.

8. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Yes , update checks both for app and def updates .

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Several off topic posts removed. The topic of this thread is "Malwarebytes anti-malware".

Do not drag this thread off topic please.

10. hammerman

Anybody using the paid version with the realtime Protection Module? Any feedback on this?

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I see several security forums that specialize in malware removal using Malwarebytes... Gladiator, MajorGeeks and BBR forums. They must have chosen it for a reason. ;)

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

If they support it would'nt be too bad. Its a omnious sign to the bad guys,having two top tiers,SAS and MBAM. What a luxury to us. :thumb:

13. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks:
    As far as quality is concern, they are such as you declare. :)

But, for the flavour of vendors' support, the after taste in our (clients') mouths are quite different, you know.

I do hope something can be learned during the growing up period. For those who may be very interested in this, this is not a A vs B reply, rather a bona fide MBAM discussion. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.