Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LagerX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. guest

guest Guest

who cares about the RAM I have 8gb, even with 4 gb half of it will be empty, the more things you have in RAM the faster the programs will run (less disk read), assuming that they are coded efficiently.

This is why there is software like this one http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fancy-cache/

2. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

I'm running v2 PRO and can access MSN (homepage) from the Cyberfox homepage icon but not from the Sandboxie icon in the system tray or from my keyboard hotkey. x64 W7 SP1. Any help appreciated!

3. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

Ah the smoke n mirrors trick(seen many times before) that is proven to degrade performance without fail.

I for one am extremely glad they have chosen not to go down that road to placate the average tweak freak.

Maybe they could do a Norton of years back and hide it in a high memory consuming svchost.exe process :p

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Wow things are really moving while I'm away from my Windows machine at home. Congrats to Malwarebytes and Co.

5. anon

anon Registered Member

Avira & MBAM aren't in anti-malware family.... MBAM & Browsers are...... :rolleyes:
    -----------------------
    Don't bother, I know...... :D

Keep your beloved ram-eater MBAM Premium, I will stay with MBAM Free.
    From my side: End of story.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I certainly hopes not :thumbd:

7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I successfully upgraded (installed over the top) the free version on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit PC.

The new interface is so different. It may take some time to adjust to the new interface.

8. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Can somone post some screen shots from 2.00?

I'm not upgrading for a wile yet to v2.00 i think the MBAM team has some tweaking to do still.

9. siketa

siketa Registered Member

10. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

I installed v2 and I've found an annoying little issue that was not present in 1.75

Even though the program language is set to English, and Windows is in English, the context menu entry is not.

http://i.imgur.com/WVp7pRM.png

If MBAM is in English, everything about it should also be in English, including the context menu entry.

Could you fix that, please?

11. anon

anon Registered Member

12. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Unfortunately I can't view the PNG link you posted - perhaps you could post the screenshot directly? - but the context menu is in English on my PC.

13. anon

anon Registered Member

Yours : 24,95 $

downloadcrew: $18.95:
    http://store.downloadcrew.com/p29874-malwarebytes_anti-malware_pro
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=361785&page=2

Newegg: Eset/MBAM Lifetime $17.99:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...hBargains-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA&Item=N82E16832114029
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=361848

14. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

15. Volare

Volare Registered Member

Good vendors who value their partners will not under-cut their resellers. It can fracture channel relationships.

Just buy from newegg or downloadcrew.

16. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Some pieces of software 'think' they know better than me and have the context menu items and whatnot in the local language as per the OS location, even though Windows is in English and I install the software in English.

Attached Files:

17. DBone

DBone Registered Member

For those of us that don't want to use one, or both of the real time protection modules now get a nice red ! mark on the task bar, as well as annoying pop-ups. :doubt:

18. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Installed.

Then uninstalled a few hours later due to bugs.

1) Settings not 'staying' set. For example I set some scheduled settings, checkboxes checked. Upon restart of machine, settings are unchecked.

2) Not starting with windows properly, no tray icon unless I force load MBAM.

3) Freezes, or LONG (not responding) responses when changing some settings.

4) Context scanning not present at all.. Not the wrong language one, it's just not there.

Overall, seems a bit buggy. I will wait for a few revisions before installing it again. Back to the older version for now.

19. Volare

Volare Registered Member

I don't think anyone would expect such a low memory footprint. Let's keep in mind, these are independent forums, which will come with varying opinions. Its also an opportunity for vendors' to get more rounded feedback, which is probably closer to real-world perceptions (MBAM forums are great as well, but naturally, they will also come with a greater amount of bias).

62.5 MB in total memory consumption is actually not too bad. Personally, I'd be satisfied with this figure. I'm on W7 x64 and when I tested MBAM 2 RC1, memory was often between 88-95MB. I thought this was an improvement over MBAM 1.65, which from memory, was often somewhere between 105MB to 120MB - TBH, this was one of the main reasons I didn't purchase an MBAM Pro license sooner. High memory consumption can be off putting, whether its technically justified or not. There are many users who will look elsewhere if a security application appears to be a resource hog (It might not be, but appears to be). The technical explanations regarding "why high memory consumption should not matter", provided by vendors and Users, is often technically valid, but it just doesn't matter if your competitors can provide an alternative with a smaller memory footprint. Considering MBAM PRO should be used in addition to your existing AV, many of us would prefer that this additional layer of security consumes as less memory as possible. From a commercial perspective, I reckon this becomes even more important now that MBAM has moved to a subscription based licensing model.

I intend to stick with MBAM Pro 1.75 for a while yet - mainly because of the following reasons:

- Memory consumption with 1.75 on my system is often around 60-67 MB. I'm satisfied with this figure (althought a figure just under or close to 50MB would be nice). MBAM 2, according to my own testing with RC1, consumes about 50-60% more memory.

- I absolutely loathe the nagging pop-ups with MBAM 2. The little banner in v1.75, which is green when protection is enabled or orange when partially enabled is preferred. I don't need popups at every PC start-up because I have chosen to disable a component.

- The big colouful banners are simply silly and they do not exist in 1.75 (Big advertising banners are common and expected in a lot of freeware, but it should not be necessary for paid apps). Actually, I think the v1.75 GUI is cleaner and simpler.

None of the AV's that I've used over the last few years have been "in your face" as much as MBAM 2.0 is right now (Note, I'm not referring to Free AV's). For example, I also use AVG Pro and I can freely disable "surf-shield" without constantly being nagged by any intrusive popups. AVG will offcourse include red text in its GUI kindly noting that I am not fully protected and, an exclamation mark will appear in the taskbar icon - this sort of behaviour should be expected. AVG is my primary/main layer of virus/malware defence and it is not in my face as much as MBAM 2.0 is.

I've liked MBAM enough to buy a license and I'm sure MBAM 2 will improve in good time. Let's not shoot down people who have open and honest opinions, which can only help the vendor improve their product.

20. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I share your sentiments. Not too impressed with v2.0 overall. There are plenty of bugs I found, to the point I am wondering if this was properly beta tested? I'm unsure how some of the more basic bugs were missed? Nevertheless, back to 1.75 for the time being.

21. DBone

DBone Registered Member

100% agree. I will run 1.75 until they force an update, and if 2.0 remains the same, I will let my lifetime license sit idle and look elsewhere. Too bad, as this is what happens sometimes when people sit around thinking they need to change something, simply for the sake of change......... Swing and a miss.

22. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Funny how everyone has so much lower memory consumption than I.

memory.jpg

23. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Do you have any data to demonstrate that "many" users think this way? What software do you feel is equivalent to MBAM and has a smaller memory footprint? IMHO the typical memory footprint of today's AV or AM is only significant on machines that have insufficient ram and when that's the case a ram upgrade is the real solution. The threat level against the Windows OS continues to rise. I would rather use effective security software and buy additional ram to support it if necessary than worry about 50megs one way or the other.

24. Clive T

Clive T Registered Member

Seconded. Awful interface, brash and vulgar pop ups, and an inability for the options to not run at start ignored on each boot.
    Like you, I'll stick to 1.75 as long as possible.

25. WildByDesign

WildByDesign Registered Member

Personally, looking at numbers of memory consumption means absolutely nothing to me. It shouldn't be about what you see when looking at the nitty gritty details about numbers; it should be about what you feel (or better yet, what you don't feel). :cool:

A car can be like an extension of your body almost, you can feel and sense just about everything when it comes to performance and even diagnosing certain problems. My outlook on computers is very similar. It's all about performance. And it all comes down to how it feels.

The numbers are really a non-issue, unless you're talking about actual bugs with memory leaks and so on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.