Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LagerX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Doesn't happen to me. A possible reason is that rootkit scanning is tricky business. It can result in finding many FP's instead, especially if the scanning is too thorough. Most major vendors, like MBAM, tone down on the sensitivity of the scanning to avoid this. But just look at products like GMER once, or even Hitman Pro's early warning scanning to see how deeper scans can produce FP's, and how hard they are to distinguish from legit files. Go ahead and blindly check all of them once, thinking they're malware, and see how your puter responds once (NOT really recommended, btw *joke*). And it's easy to see why this option would be unchecked by default. I think it's only responsible.

I feel the same way about not checking the shell/context menu entry by default too. I complained about it at first but then after thinking about it realized why it's not good practice to have things force themselves into your shell automatically without your consent. It's like the sort of stuff adware does. Something like that should be opt-in, IMO, not opt-out.

I'm having no problems with MBAM v2, and like it just the way it is.

2. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

Probably because it don't do no nothing to report so. I've been done holding my breath on two major annoyances since April after I dealt with all the initial issues that turned me into a customer testing a beta.

Support said, "Next version" and the last time (in May) I added to the MBAM thread for one issue a "When?", their forum posers jumped on me for the audacity of rushing The Fine Folks.

On five different systems, after using v1 for years on the two purchased (promo discounted) lifetime licenses which were grandfathered for v2 I suppose I can be OK with it, though disappointed. I still trust the protection especially now that it feels like a free app. ;)

Cheers.

3. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Ouch.

Like you, I have MBAM on multiple systems. Which... I assume like you, indicates that we found value in the product. MBAM has absolutely rocked the tests for many many years -- and with a lifetime subscription, that is a pretty good deal. So we both did well to get in on the good deal while it lasted.

I'm part of the group that believes that MBAM has earned our respect and they have shown good faith in not weaseling out of the lifetime licenses like other companies have.. They have developed a reservoir of good will with me.

So ok, maybe they could have worked out a few more kinks in V2. Maybe it still needs a few tweaks.

Let's see what comes out in the next version release. The MBAM dudes seem to be pretty industrious in continuous product development and improvement. The GUI and feel of the app are important. Hopefully future iterations will not feel like a free app (Again, I have never upgraded to V2, so I cannot state that it feels like a free app. I'm just taking Fox's word for it).

Cheers.

v/r Frank

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Frank, How can you comment on version2 if you still haven't done the upgrade? Don't be afraid it's good. I run it real time and the only bug I get is that once in a while I get 2 icons in the sys tray, which gets fixed the next time it reboots.

5. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

Damn... you're right. How can I comment on it?!

I'm afraid.

Ok, I"ll DO IT. I'll drink a few beers to get up my bravery.... and I'll finally install version II on one system.

twl845 assumes responsibility if I experience the ultra-rare computer explosion event when upgrading to V2.

-Frank

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Frank, how about backup/image

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Always a good idea as part of system maintaince. But I've had zero issues wit MBAM 2.0.2.1012

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Install first, beers later...if all goes well. The alcohol won't help you with the install :D

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Frank, Fear not. As Pete said, do a backup/image, and you can rest easy. If you have an issue you can just restore to your backup like it never happened. :cool:

10. FOXP2

FOXP2 Guest

I meant with reference to my wallet. ;) I'd have purchased v2 Premium but would be far more than disappointed with the annoyances, notable had I been a new customer having paid full price. Anyhow, dittos on all you wrote; the protection rocks with the best in class.

One of the unsung contributions of the Malwarebytes enterprise was their acquisition of hpHosts. Once the dominion of a WOT-like irresponsible hierarchy (IMHO), the block list is now conscientiously vetted and host-file.net a justifiable and accountable resource.
    How convenient. I'm not experiencing that annoyance, but it is one of the several existing and well reported in their forum since the current release months ago.

Oh well. To quote da Vinci, "It will be done when it is done."
    But it sure helps when posting up in Wilders... :D

I'm done. Cheers.

11. Victek

Victek Registered Member

In addition to performing well on tests MBAM works in the real world. It removes all of the rubbishware currently so prevalent on the Net that so many of the AV products won't touch. The only criticism I have of v2 is the Threat Scan is slower than the Quick Scan in v1.75. On the other hand the Hyper Scan is very quick, but only available for Premium/trial.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  12. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

I don't think v2 feels free as such (and I am using free version), its light and does the basics, no need to bloat it like other security software can become.

also rootkit detection when I turned on didn't hang or anything, I have left it on.

13. iammike

iammike Registered Member

Guyz,

I finally took the plunge and upgraded to v2 so sorry if this has already been asked,

Is it possible to turn off the ($&&$(#^&) task-bar icon ?

Thanks

14. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

You can do that with the ($&&$(#^&) windows tool.

15. iammike

iammike Registered Member

Thx, but why isn't there a option in the program itself ? I am glad that on my other PC's I haven't upgraded yet (all Pro Licenses).

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I am sick to dead of MBAM not scanning to MY schedule!

Why even have a schedule if MBAM scans 5 & 1/2 hours after it was supposed too_Oo_O?

17. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

That's odd because I can almost set my watch by MBAM. It scans when I set it to.

18. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Ok that was a slight exaggeration, it was only 3 & 1/2 hours, but checking the logs shows MBAM has scanned 8 times today - 10 times yesterday! I have one scan scheduled each day, so clearly it is a corrupt install requiring an uninstall / reinstall.

19. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

I am still using 1.75. Is the V2 GUI any better now and does it work good.

20. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Good Ole' 1.75.. I'd stick with it for now.. Sorry buddy. :(

21. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Why don't you give 2.1.0 a try and see what you think? Your evaluation can still have a direct effect on the RTM/Gold version. The advanced heuristics and improved rootkit detections features alone are excellent reasons for upgrading. Remember, it's MBAM2 that remains in the group of tools most used by Malware Removal Experts - not MBAM1.

As much as we all appreciated what MBAM1 grew into, alas its on-going support days are dwindling as we all know.

22. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

23. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

Says who? All of the malware removal experts at my work use Chicalogic. It's a 1 click download, based off 1.75, and doesn't run resident, or have any hassles. Although I will confess, MBAM isn't high on the list of rotations anymore to be honest with products like HerdProtect, EEK, and Zemana, and I often skip it. My rotation (and I do about a 10-20 remote malware removal tickets a day)

Reset Browsers/Internet Options
    Manually uninstall obvious nonsense.
    Check Registry for AppInits.
    Clean Startup.
    Run Bleachbit w/community INI
    Combofix (if not Win8.1+)
    Zemana Antimalware
    JRT+ADW
    Chicalogic (MBAM 1.75)
    If I am still worried I go EEK and/or Herdprotect.

Then if I think it needs some repairs, I run Tweaking.com's All-In-One Repair (Shane from CleanMem).

24. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

25. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

It's all good. I waited until Sep to make the leap (see above in this thread).... and then after I installed, I wondered why I waited so long.

I have Pro on 4 computers. Not a single issue. Not even a minor issue.

And it's better. I would not go back to 1.75.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.