Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LagerX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

I'll wait for someone from MBAM side of things to answer officially, but I'm told that this is a valid (although old) detection as OAccess trojan used to create System64 (note, not System32). I think they might revise this detection.

2. Ran Norton ZeroAccessTrojan remover, TDSKiller and NPE, they all found nothing, did a clean install and made sure I downloaded the requested programs from CNET only. I might have clicked a wrong link when I installed something. Did not want to risk providing a rootkitted PC to my acquaintances. This time MBAM found nothing after clean install (and I installed MBAM as the first application this time).

Only defense I routinely set is UAC to deny elevation of unsigned programs (after I have installed everything I disable that again, before handing over their PC).

3. controler

controler Guest

I have come to agree. Even though Malwarbytes is a great program, the loading time to boot after sleep and reboot is too damn much. It has been aggravating me for over a month now. Uninstalled to get fast boot back again.

4. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Totally agree. That's why I'm back to 1.75 and will probably stay there until next March when support ends.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I'm not saying that an extended boot up time caused by MBAM2.0 is acceptable... not at all.
    It should be and probably will be fixed.
    But I am curious, do you guys turn your computers off and on multiple times throughout the day and evening, to where an extra 60 seconds or so would start to add up?
    I leave my main box on all day and shut it down when I go to bed. An extra long boot time would not be a problem for me... I'd just hit the start button and walk away for a minute or two.

6. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Not everyone experiences a noticeably longer boot time (I don't). That said I also generally boot in the morning and let the computer hibernate during the day.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I don't either, Victek.

8. m0use0ver

m0use0ver Registered Member

Well from what i can tell reading around the internet help forums/support board then there are 3 potential chief culprits if the boot times blow up when MBAM is installed.

#1 If self protection is enabled this will push the MBAM service/driver files forward in the boot order and may conflict with other early booting applications. This is a known issue with no work around beyond setting specific ignore rules for the software in concern if possible or delaying MBAM's start up.

#2 Ignore rules themselves. When MBAM went from 1.75 to 2.0 they removed the apostrophe " ' " from their folder names. Those that require ignore rules to be set by other software that do not make fresh rules will find the old ones are no longer working. Work around being to replace old with new rules.

#3 Kind of software best practice 101 time but the 3rd is an incomplete/corrupt install.

No matter what vendors claim about when and how their installers can be run(whether reboot(s) are needed or even close all other applications when running the installer etc then best practice still should apply.

Make a fresh restore point or save the current image if you use backup software.

Reboot the computer, close all non essential applications and then run the installer. At the end of the install even if the software does not request a reboot, reboot it all the same.(Never skimp on this one for the sake of cant be bothered or it did not ask for one, its 101 best practice stuff ).

In the 2nd session(after reboot) set up all ignore/configuration rules if they are required by the installed software or any other potential conflict/overlapping software.

Reboot one last time and for most users they will now find everything is running as it should. Set a new restore point or save the image and your good to go.

9. controler

controler Guest

The only problem I had before was a few crashes. While working with Their great and responsive support, They found when I sinstalled 2.00, A driver did not update and was using an old version. They sent me a link to a complete uninstall file. Along with that I had links to other check files they use.
    Anyway I always had the long boot time on my machine and not only that but CPU is being hit 100% while it is doing so.
    I usually leave my machine on all day and night but not always. It gets annoying because it happens every time it comes out of hibernate also, which can be many times a day.

Running Win 8.1 64 bit

10. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I'll wait for 2.03 at least, getting a lot of crashes with current.

11. controler

controler Guest

12. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

This is a very small/picky request, but I've brought it up before and still would like to see it. The context menu entry is just too long. When I right click on things that window is twice the size it used to be now with it on there. Because I don't have WinRar and other lengthy entries in there... just "Check hash" & "Run Sandboxed", along with the built in stuff.

Couldn't you just make it "Scan with MBAM"? Or, if you insist your product's name be in there then "Scan with Malwarebytes", at least, leaving the "Anti-Malware" part out?

Pretty please...

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Have you searched for tools to manage the context menu?
    Here I found five of them. However, it looks like most of them just allow adding and subtracting entries... not exactly what you are looking for.
    But there is one that might work...
    FileMenu Tools
    It seems to me that you could delete the MBAM entry and re-create a new one the way you want it to appear.
    HTH

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

context menu is part of the language file...

15. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

So my experience with v2 was not a happy one. After installed, I ran a Full Scan wich took me around 5 hours to notice it was stuck forever on 254879 objects scanned. The progress animation continued to move and the time kept going. I click on cancel and it asked me to confirm, which I did but nothing happened. Tried to close the program, it crashed. This happend on Vista 32-bit.

Went back to v1.75 and all was a pleasant breeze as always.

So, no v2 for me.

16. Few weeks ago got some malware dropped through mail: 5 recognised this on VT as maloware (one of them MBAM :thumb:)
    Today got the a variant through same email, thought let's see on VT how many now detect it now 11 on VT (of course MBAM also)

I would thought more AV's would recognise it by now (although hash is changed, family is same).

17. luciddream

Thanks, but I wouldn't go installing tools I don't know/trust over it. Especially when that 2'nd link you provided shows me several bad WOT reviews, from malware, spyware, to a person claiming it adds a toolbar and changes your home page without informing you. Of course sandboxed, in shadow mode, that aint happenin. It might actually humor me to watch it try it's hardest. But I'm always preaching discretion, over all else (even isolation & imaging), so I wouldn't wanna be a hypocrite.

And CCleaner will add & remove entries if I need to do that.

I'll just stare at the unnecessarily wide menu... could be worse. Only an OCD person like me would even be bothered by a thing like this.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I get it... makes good sense to me.
    As for the WOT review, you and I are seeing conflicting info. WOT is showing Lopesoft.com reputation as Excellent Trustworthiness and Excellent Child safety.
    Also Bitdefender TrafficLight says it is a safe page, without any suspicious elements and zero trackers on the page.
    And MBAM Malicious Website Protection is quiet, showing no alerts on that page.

wot review.jpg

19. luciddream

I tried to run a scan with MBAM v2 the other day and got an error message saying it was unable to load some driver or whatnot. And said that the error was possibly due to there being malware on my computer (which is BS). I had just gotten done updating it prior to trying to run the scan, so I can only guess that update fudged something up. Everything worked just fine up until then.

So I uninstalled it and put v1.75 back on for the time being. I think I'll wait until this v2 matures a bit.

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

@MalwareBytes,

We must be getting close to a new and improved version of mbam 2 by now. Any news?

21. Frank the Perv

Frank the Perv Banned

What a great product and great value MBAM has provided to all of us.

I have 4 computers in this household running MBAM Pro... and I have not yet updated, waiting for the kinks to be worked out.

And unlike some here... I fully understand that the percentage of people that had issues with the rollout of MBAM 2 is probably tiny on a percentage basis.

But still, I'd rather wait and avoid possible frustration.

The issues reported on this forum have diminished to almost nothing.

Maybe it's time to launch.

22. luciddream

I want to retract my previous statement. The problem wasn't MBAM v2, it was my tight D+ settings. Something indeed must have changed with the recent update, but things often do, especially following new major releases. The problem is a setting I had on Block with everything whitelisted I thought I'd need had to be set to Ask to allow for this new change/entry. I got to thinking that this may be the case and sure enough all is well now with v2.

I haven't had any problems with it at all, other than that one that was my fault. Really it seems like it's ready to go right now IMO... I'd say go ahead and install it.

23. chrcol

chrcol Registered Member

funny enough I install malware bytes anti malware on my laptop yesterday to run a scan, and by default checking for rootkits is disabled for no logical reason.

24. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Yes the default for rootkit scanning is Off. I don't remember if a rationale was stated for that, but I also want it On. I suggest you have a look at the self protection options too.

25. fblais

fblais Registered Member

IIRC, there was a problem on many PCs where the scan was freezing if Rootkit detection was enabled.
    However, *maybe* this is related with the currently available version and would be fixed in an upcoming version.
    Not sure though, just a guess.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.