Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LagerX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Cloudcroft

Cloudcroft Registered Member

Same here.

2. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Guess I'll give it another go then. Thanks Page42 and twl845.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hope it goes well.
    I went over the top, rather than remove 1.75, which I was told was okay to do. It worked fine, both times.
    Let us know how it goes for you, wolfrun.

PS - Tip from the MBAM forum...

Common Questions and Issues

• Issue: Can I install Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 over the top of version 1
      Solution: Yes, but you may want to first restart your computer before doing an install to help ensure a cleaner install.

4. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just a tip. Set everything to Ask rather than automatically sent to quarantine for instance. It avoids surprises.

5. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good advice.
    PUP detections are defaulted to 'Warn' .
    PUM detections are defaulted to 'Treat as malware'. I changed PUM detections to 'Warn'
    Under Advanced Settings, 'Automatically quarantine detected items' is enabled by default (I think, but I'm not sure). I unchecked it.

6. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

As this could be the last time to capture MBAM1 Pro's license ID and Key, before an upgrade to MBAM2 Premium, please make sure your license ID/Key is saved in a safe place.

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My license keys are always available to me in at least three places... the cleverbridge email, a Word file, and in KeePass. :thumb:

8. wolfrun

I have a license also, saved on a USB stick and on a hard file. Waiting on program here to get updated then I'm going to do a back up with Macrium and then will install the 2x version. Should be in a day or two.
    good advice thnx.
    Good advice also. thanx.
    :thumb:

9. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Indeed! :thumb::thumb::thumb::D

10. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Uh, how about writing it down on a piece of paper. All 3 of your options involve a computer, a piece of paper does not get a virus, does not get hacked, does not blow a hard drive and does not stop mysteriously working. Why is this so hard to figure out?

11. MeAgain

MeAgain Registered Member

Took the plunge and installed the latest Premium release yesterday afternoon. Still running good. I like the GUI. Opens fast and looks good. Using it with latest Avast Free release. No noticeable PC or Chrome browser slowdowns. Windows 8.1 Update 1, 64 Bit. Hopefully this will keep up.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You go your way and I go mine. And it matters not one iota to me what method you choose, nor what your opinion is about mine. Is that any easier for you to understand? :thumb:

13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Good luck with it, MeAgain.

14. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Actually no, its so easy, write it down, takes 5 seconds, why go thru the agony, turn computer on, wait for it to boot up,log in, find lastpass, type in password to find another password. I don't get this generation with the cell phone glued to the hip, having to be connected 24/7. Write it down, how can it be any easier or simpler than that?

15. snerd

snerd Registered Member

It takes actual data loss before some folks get it. Leave it be.

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Indeed, the chances of multiple computers failing at the same time is greater than losing a piece of paper. :rolleyes:

17. MeAgain

Well I may have spoken too soon. Just got on my laptop and clicked on MBAM icon to open the interface. It didn't pop up, and I decided to open Chrome while I waited. MBAM opened after quite a few seconds, and then I discovered nothing worked on Windows 8.1. I couldn't make the system tray pop up or the start screen, ect. I then opened up Task Manager and saw 100 percent disk use, with MBAM using a lot of resources. I ended two MBAM services that I saw running and my laptop returned to normal. Apparently its self-protection isn't enabled by default, but this may have been a good thing. Not sure what happened. My laptop was on standby as I had just opened it up and I'm sure Avast was updating and Chrome sucked up some resources all at once. I added Avast to exclusions in MBAM and vice versa. Maybe I missed some?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Maybe the MBAM forum folks can assist you. I hope so anyway. Sorry about your problems.

19. MeAgain

Thanks Page42. I may inquire about it there, but it hasn't happened again yet. Like I said earlier, maybe I did too much too soon after opening my laptop. It's a Toshiba with a AMD A6-5200 processor 2.00 GHz and 4 GB RAM. I guess it isn't the most powerful system, but it should be handle Avast and MBAM.

20. wolfrun

I took the plunge and installed version 2.0.2.1012. Bootup time now takes 136 seconds, bootup 57secs. and MBAM to activate another 79 secs for a total of 136 secs. Memory is MBAM exe 20,776k and MBAM service 54,204k. Can't really say that I'm jumping for joy for that total bootup time. Feedback is appreciated. :( (Right now I got more important things to do like fix the front derailleur of my bike)

21. MeAgain

Uninstalled latest Avast Free and guess what? Things have been OK. Just using MBAM with Windows Defender for now. Might install 360 Total Security again and see how it runs with MBAM.

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks for posting back. Just curious, what browser do you run, and do you have anything like Sandboxie installed?

23. wolfrun

Just as a comparison, with MBAM 1.75 installed, boot time is 42 seconds as compared to 136 secs to 140 seconds.

24. MeAgain

I use Chrome. No Sandboxie. I need to say that a little earlier I fond MBAM using a lot of RAM and causing high disk usage without Avast installed. I will now most likely go back to version 1.75 since I have a lifetime license, and wait for the next 2.0 update.

25. False positive? Installed a PC for a friend (x64), it was a fresh install, with extra software from normal download sites (at least that is what I can remember).

Bugger, now re-installing everything again for them, don't want to take the risk to deliver a PC with fresh malware. Promised them the PC tomorrow.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.