Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2 released

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by LagerX, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There's a free program called BlueScreenView would might give you more information about the BSOD.

2. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

I've had to stop deployment of 2x version of MBAM. Way too problematic. Again, I question if this product was properly beta tested, and if so, I would recommend replacement of who oversaw it, or hiring of someone to oversea beta in the case of future revisions. This is no way to handle a product in my opinion. It's just incredible the number of issues I experience on a 'vanilla' machine when I try 2X on it.

For now, I predict I will stay with 1.75x until forced to update.

3. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Today MBAM updated itself to 2 and hangs and crashes started. I'm going to take it off my computer for the first time in years, and check back on this thread in a few weeks.

4. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Did you post your problems over at MBAM forums so they can check logs and see what your issues are??

5. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I think the people at Malwarebytes shouldn't have publicly release MBAM 2 in the state it was at that time.
    It was still very beta IMHO.
    There's an upcoming update that will fix about 30 bugs coming soon.
    2.0.1.1004 runs fine for me though, but for people still running 1.75, I suggest they don't update to 2 with the internal updater.
    If they wish to get the new version, I'd uninstall 1.75, reboot, run mbam-clean to get rid of everything, reboot again and install v2 from fresh.
    Just my opinion of course.

6. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

I've read that scheduled scans can run 30 minutes either side of the scheduled time, but I've found that scheduled scans run up an hour either side of my scheduled time. I can't see the sense in this at all. What's the point of scheduling a scan at all? Why not just have mbam scan when it receives definition updates? Doesn't v1.75 run a Flash Scan after receiving updates?

7. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yep, you can set 1.75 to do a 12-25 second flash scan after a successful update. That's just one of many features in 1.75 that are better than 2.0.

8. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

... Also, I have my scheduled scans to run if missed by 1 hour, but I am yet to see a missed scan run at all.

Hopefully the scheduling problems will be included with the 30 other bugs in the next release. Perhaps the known issues with mbam 2.0 RC should of been addressed before 2.0 was released.

The following are known issues with Release Candidate 1, build 2.00.0.1000, of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

• Attempting to use some OpenVPN client software such as AirVPN and CyberGhost VPN 5, with self-protection enabled will result in the VPN client becoming unresponsive. Disabling self-protection should resolve the issue.
    • Notifications for successful updates will not be displayed in the tray even if the option "Show notification after successful update" is enabled for scheduled updates.
    • At the end of any scan where items have been detected, the program will be unable to update until actions have been applied to all items.
    • Dashboard database version area will show a green checkmark unless the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's database is outdated by the number of days configured in the "Notify user if database is out of date for more than n# day(s)." setting.
    • Notifications which do not timeout do not disappear until the "X" at the top of the notification is clicked or the button provided by the notification is clicked.
    • Notifications which are obsolete may stack behind other notifications.
    • The registry cannot be scanned from limited user accounts. It is recommended that all scans be performed from administrative user accounts which are now able to detect and remove threats from all user registry hives, including those of offline user accounts.
    • Right-click 'Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware' context menu item in Explorer is disabled by default. It may be enabled via the option under "General Settings"
    • The "General Settings" button will not respond if clicked on in the upper left quadrant of the button.
    • Items listed in Malware Exclusions and Web Exclusions will have a set of duplicate entries after each database update which has occurred since mbam.exe started during the current Windows session. Removing one duplicate will remove all duplicates along with the original item from the list. Exiting Malwarebytes Anti-Malware completely and launching it again or restarting the system will return the Exclusions list to normal until another update occurs. This is purely a cosmetic issue and has no effect on exclusions functioning properly.
    • A pop-up notification that a webpage will be opened in your internet browser is displayed on Windows XP when web links are clicked in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This should not cause any issues and clicking on 'OK' should allow the webpage to open as it should.
    • Disabling notifications only removes non-critical notifications so that you are still informed of problems with your protection.
    Please report any additional bugs or issues you may find in this forum for the sake of our Development, Quality Assurance, and Customer Support teams.

Thanks

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=143890

9. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Run Chicalogic, install the free version, use MBAM code to activate it.. It will never update to 2.0 apparently.

I am sticking with Chicalogic for at least a few months, possibly a year or more until 2.0 nonsense is ironed out. Chicalogic(MBAM 1,75) isn't broken, so why fix it?

10. justenough

Honestly at the moment I'm not feeling like sorting through the problems with Malwarebytes over what appears to be a Beta. They've had my highest respect for a couple of years, and then they auto-update using a version that they know has issues, and because of that I had to stop something else I was working on and spend an hour figuring out the problem (as often happens coming here helped) and doing reboots to get things back to working order. I'll check here in a few weeks and maybe my attitude about the current decisions at Malwarebytes will have improved by then.

11. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Well its up to you but they usually do a great job sorting issues out when you provide the logs, I've been having very good results with 2.0.1 my self.

12. justenough

My experience with their customer service has always been the best, no doubt they are doing a great job sorting out issues when given logs. My problem with Malwarebytes at the moment is why are they auto-updating with a version that doesn't yet seem safe to use for the general public. I hadn't seen this thread yet, if I had I wouldn't have accepted the update. Looking over the list of fixes that are coming, I suspect my problem might be with the conflict with CyberGhost. So they do an auto-update with what's basically a Beta program on a computer running CyberGhost even though they know what it can do to a customer's computer. Maybe I'm over-reacting (that's why after replying to your posts I'm going to take a few weeks before deciding about MBAM), but my computer was a mess, it took 3 reboots to get it usable again, and then the uninstall process and another reboot.

13. daman1

daman1 Registered Member

Rest assured they'll get it sorted out.

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I haven't been auto updated yet, probably a good thing for now.

15. Victek

Victek Registered Member

You've made an important point which is that not everyone is having problems including yourself. I had no problems with the first release and have none now with 2.0.1.1004. As an "early adopter" of software I understand that things may not go smoothly at first and when that's the case I just uninstall and wait. Getting upset is optional.

16. justenough

If I'm going be testing early adopter stage software, it would be nice if someone told me about it first, and not find out about it by coming to Wilders after my computer has crashed hard in the middle of a project.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Well said. :thumb:

18. justenough

Thanks Page42, but then I started on my usual editing binge and not much of it was left.

The truth is that I wasn't paying much attention when MBAM put up the message about the update. After all it was Malwarebytes so what could go wrong. Maybe there was an alert like "This is Beta software, take precautions." If so, then my mistake.

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

You might want to ease up on the editing. A lot of Grade A stuff is getting chopped.

20. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. In post #370 Rubber Ducky said that users of MBAM 1.75 could prevent the product from auto-updating to v2. Did they change that? If you were using 1.75 and were unexpectedly updated to v2 then I understand your upset - losing your work is not OK.

My point about being an early adopter is that most of us here are by virtue of the fact that we load newly released software. It's fairly common that even after software has gone "gold" it's behavior is not completely reliable for all users. Those who really want to play it safe wait for the inevitable patches/updates that come soon after.

I liked your reference to Zen meditation - it can help :)

21. DBone

DBone Registered Member

Yes, he did say that and that works, however, the default settings on 1.75 are to have the program update itself when a program update is available. Knowing that, MBAM should have measured twice, and cut once before letting 2.0 out in the wild.

22. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Thanks for the explanation. I didn't realize that default settings make the update "opt out" instead of "opt in".

23. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I suppose software devs are caught between the proverbial rock and a hard spot when it comes to deciding what condition to make default... should users have to opt in or opt out of auto-updating?
    No matter which they select as default, it will inevitably displease some segment of the user community. Ultimately, I presume, they look at it from all perspectives and decide which group is best served. MBAM probaly decided for the best when they made auto program updating the default. Those of us here who have learned about the propensity for new builds to create havoc make sure to seek those settings out and alter them to our personal tastes. MBAM has been set to NOT "Download and install program update if available" on my machines. In fact, that is a very standard rule for me on all software I use... please be so kind as to notify me when a program update is available, but I will make the decision whether or not to install it, thank you.

24. The Hammer

Desktop and netbook auto updated today. So I'll see how it goes. I presume that if I do not want a scheduled scan to run within X number of hours if missed I uncheck the recovery option in Automated scheduling?

25. The Hammer

Removed it from netbook. Netbook exceeded minimum system requirements but slowed loading time of Avira also more than normal. Also windows action centre kept telling me Avira needed to be turned on when it clearly was on. Locked up the system also and had to do a hard reboot. Never had all this with 1.75. Exceptions set for both Avira and MBAM 2.0.1. Everything fine on desktop though. Go figure?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.