Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.3 Beta Test

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by AdvancedSetup, Oct 3, 2014.

1. AdvancedSetup

AdvancedSetup Security Expert

I'm sorry but I really do not have an answer for you aside from that is how the program was written.

2. anon

anon Registered Member

In v2, because v1 was written differently (no mbamscheduler when MBAM was on demand).......
    Anyway, thank you for the clarification.

From my side, I don't agree with that approach.
    AFAIK, the AVs when they are in "on demand" option, all services are off.
    To have the update service always on, seems weird to me.

I already know the answer: "Take it or leave it"
    Well, MBAM go with the customers who agree with it.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  3. Ro4dRuNn3r

Ro4dRuNn3r Guest

At least you could let them know about those "bugs". Can't be a hell of a Job to fix it? Right?
    Sorry, but i don't get that, MBAM might be a good programm, but so far i know it's not the only one out there. Makes me think some companys don't need paying Customers.... :rolleyes:

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I'm curious why you feel this is so important that you would give up the program because of it? What is the downside to background auto-updating? Most customers couldn't care less about this.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  5. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

The problem with the background updater is that after every update it starts MBAM gui + service and then come the notifications that your computer is at risk etc. There are license holders who don't use real-time protection and as such we don't want to shut down the whole program after every update.

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I have lifetime licence but don't want to activate it, because of background service running all the time. For that reason I also prefer to use 1.75 version.

7. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I am in that category.
    I own two lifetime licenses but don't use them.

8. anon

anon Registered Member

I'm using the MBAM on demand only. Therefore if MBAM is not in use, all of his services must be off.
    Simple as that.

9. anon

anon Registered Member

I don't have that problem.

With my settings:
    MBAM gui + service is off and mbamscheduler.exe runs idle.
    In order to stop the mbamscheduler.exe, I have to start MBAM manually > perform an update > Close MBAM.

10. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It looks like that can be prevented. Here's the same link to Anon's settings from message #34

With my settings:

11. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, but scheduler service is still running... Opening and closing MBAM each time I turn on my computer is too much hassle. I prefer to use 1.75 free version.

12. LagerX

LagerX Registered Member

13. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

14. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

15. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

16. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

17. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello Krusty13,

You are most welcome ;) ...

18. exile360

exile360 Registered Member

For those of you using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium as an on-demand scanner only, if you uncheck Start Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with Windows under Advanced Settings then none of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's processes or services should start when your system boots. If they do, then I'd recommend toggling the setting on and off again and then restarting your system to see if that corrects it. If it does not, then you may need to try reinstalling the software.

Additionally, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's services will launch once you open Malwarebytes Anti-Malware manually because they are components of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium. If you do not want them to continue running once you have performed an on-demand scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware then all you need to do is right-click on the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware tray icon and choose Exit. That will terminate all of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware's processes and services.

While we certainly appreciate you purchasing licenses for Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium, the truth is that if all you require is an on-demand scanner then the Free version is better suited to the task as the primary differences between Free and Premium is realtime protection and the ability to schedule automatic updates and scans. There are of course other differences such as incremental database updates and the ability to restrict access to parts of the software through the use of our Access Policies feature, but if you only need an on-demand scanner then running it in Free mode is simpler. Also, if using the program as an on-demand scanner, now that the program checks for updates prior to running scans manually that process is simplified as well compared to 1.75 where you had to first manually check for updates and then navigate to the Scan tab to run a scan.

I hope this info helps.

19. Adric

Adric Registered Member

How about letting the 1.75 holdouts get the update definitions before foisting the 2.0 download upon us?
    That way, we can cancel the 2.0 download from starting and save some bandwidth. Not everyone wants 2.0 right now. :D

20. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

This database update service has never been interrupted, and it has been said the database updates will continue passed March 24, 2015.

HTH :)

21. Adric

Adric Registered Member

Did I say they were interrupted? All I was saying was that when you check for updates, the first thing that happens is that 2.0 is downloaded if it has not yet been downloaded. Only after that, will it start downloading the updates. If 2.0 has already been downloaded, the update process still tries to convince you to install 2.0. In either case you need to cancel installing to get the new definitions. So the sequence is as follows: 1st bug you about 2.0 2nd. download new definitions. I was just asking to do it the other way around and make the 2.0 download optional (cancel). I'm just not ready for it yet.;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  22. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You can disable that in the settings.

23. 1PW

1PW Registered Member

Hello Adric:

J_L is quite correct. You may forbid MBAM1 program updates to MBAM2, and suppress all program update notification messages:
    1. Using Administrator privileges, open the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) Graphical User Interface (GUI).
    2. Single left-click the Settings tab. Submit the Settings Password if it's requested.
    3. Single left-click the Updater Settings tab.
    4. Untick/Uncheck:
      • Download and install program update if available.
      • Notify me when a program update is ready for installation.
    5. Close the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (PRO) GUI.
    HTH :)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  24. anon

anon Registered Member

.... until the next boot. Then, mbamscheduler.exe starts once again.
    Please read also here (#13):
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/thre...-malware-2-0-3-beta-test.368830/#post-2414160

I'm checking the mbamscheduler.exe every day, at every boot.
    It's now 2-3 days and mbamscheduler.exe is not starting anymore.
    Now when MBAM is not in use (no realtime, on demand only), all of his services are off. :thumb:

Please note that MBAM settings remains the same, no any changes from my side.
    So, whatever was changed it was from MBAM side. I can't find another reasonable explanation.

25. Adric

Adric Registered Member

I totally forgot about that (set and forget :D). I always had these settings set on to get the normal updates for v1. I did not relate that the nag had to do with my settings. :( Thanks folks, for pulling me out of my trance.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.