Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ZeroVulnLabs, Oct 15, 2013.

1. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Haakon thanks, I think I recently signed up there if I can only remember my password lol

2. boredog

pbust e-mail sent

thank you

3. ZeroVulnLabs

ZeroVulnLabs Developer (aka "pbust")

Sent you email!

Yes this is one of the main issues we are dealing with in order to make it as seamless as possible to non-technical novice users. That's the main design principle which we are working on. We do not want to create a complex product, but at the same time want to allow technical users easy access to advanced settings.

We've added a few more FP and conflict resolution levers to the anti-exploit and anti-ransomware technologies. Granted, what you are saying about EMET and HMPA is right, but there's some things we can do automatically to minimize the effects. We are still testing these dynamic configuration options.

We will not loose our roots of believing in layered protection and being compatible with most of all of the security solutions out there. This is another of the guiding principles behind this new product. You'll be able to activate any technology or combination thereof in order to continue layering however you want, such as for ex using MBAM's anti-malware tech only with EMET and WinAntiRansomware instead of MBAE and MBARW (or continue using MBAE standalone with whatever else).

Of course this is no small project and I'm sure we'll have our share of bugs during beta, but we are doing our best to come up with a really cool product which we hope you'll all like.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Interesting idea to combine MBAE, MBAM and MBARW! If you also added a simple firewall, then it would be quite a strong security suite. But I do agree with others that sometimes it's better to use standalone products, so I'm not sure what to think.

5. boredog

after uninstalling cylance and it was hard to do. antiexploit now works with IE
    and so you were right with cylance and antiexploit causing issues.

6. ZeroVulnLabs

Thanks for confirming! As mentioned via email, just injecting a DLL into IE should not be cause for conflict (which is what they said) unless they are doing it incorrectly. We are trying to get our hands on the Cylance product to troubleshoot the conflict, but this is proving harder than it seems.

7. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I've noticed since using MBAE that a lot of my favicons no longer appear in Google Chrome. Is this expected behaviour?

8. ZeroVulnLabs

Never heard that one before as far as I can remember.

9. anon

anon Registered Member

10. ZeroVulnLabs

Yes, better uninstaller and GUI is still on schedule. But the better GUI will be based on the common product.

11. anon

anon Registered Member

Thank you! :thumb:

12. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

the gui is a bit small and seems a bit outdated. concerning uninstalling using nsis i can help you guys out.

13. ZeroVulnLabs

Thanks for the offer Brummelchen! We already have it in the backlog (removal of Run key during uninstall). Should be there soon.

14. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered Member

Google Project Zero recently reported these AV vulnerabilities:

http://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com/2016/06/how-to-compromise-enterprise-endpoint.html

Question: does MBAE 1.08.1.2563 (which I use) or 1.09 (experimental) kick in with its protection to take up the slack from these vulnerabilities?

The technical side is beyond my grasp, but, the GPZ report states: "These vulnerabilities are as bad as it gets. They don’t require any user interaction, they affect the default configuration, and the software runs at the highest privilege levels possible. In certain cases on Windows, vulnerable code is even loaded into the kernel, resulting in remote kernel memory corruption."

Thanks.

15. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

That is old news. From your link: "Thanks to Symantec Security Team for their help resolving these bugs quickly.".

16. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered Member

Old news perhaps .. but, mate, let's keep the Symantec comments in that forum. And, as you should know, the options are less than perfect for lots of their users.

As for MBAE, I don't see an anser to my query. Hope ZeroVulnLabs ("pbust") jumps in with an authoritative reply .. if there is such a thing.

17. anon

anon Registered Member

Jun 28....,....
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/tavis-ormandy-vs-antivirus-discussion.385510/#post-2598406
    --

18. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered Member

Thanks, but still no reply to the core of my query.

The Symantec patch requires users to update to 22.7, which, as of yesterday, results in BSOD on some users' computers. Version 22.6 and 21.7 are reportedly not covered by this patch. However, as I said, these Symantec comments are really out of place here.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  19. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I can't say how many of these MBAE can protect against, BUT for protection you would have to add Symantecs processes to MBAE, which is not recommended because it can all kinds of issues. It is in general not recommended to add processes from security software to anti exploit protection, whether that is MBAE, HMP.A, EMET or some other tool doesn't matter.

20. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

But your link directly questions Norton / Symantec. If you don't want anyone to comment on Norton / Symantec, why post that link?

21. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

No, because it does not look for exploits in security software. Aside from that, thanks to Symantec's ntoskrnl.dll copy, an attacker can craft exploits for programs that anti-exploit watches, without anti-exploit noticing, because it is watching original ntoskrnl.dll, but the attacker can use Symantec's ntoskrnl.dll instead.

22. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

Please excuse my ignorance but perhaps you mean ntdll.dll?

23. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered Member

Thanks. I can see the logic in that argument.

24. CeeBee

CeeBee Registered Member

Well, too bad. It seems I have to employ Plan C for some of my legacy computers as they can't run any Norton 22.x AV software and thus must stay on 21.7 .. which is not patched for the time being (and may never be unless there is a change of heart by Norton). Thanks.

25. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Yes, of course. Thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.