Malwarebytes and TOR

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by anotherforhector, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anotherforhector

anotherforhector Registered Member

I have just started using TOR for web based email. When I start the TOR browser, Malwarebytes gives me a warning that outgoing access to an IP address has been blocked. It is not the same IP every time and the latest one today was 213.163.64.43 which belongs to nl.gigabit.perfect-privacy.com. Despite this blocking the TOR browser opens and says that it is operating successfully. I don't understand how TOR works, and my question is whether or not this blocking behaviour by Malwarebytes is somehow going to compromise the security offered by TOR.

2. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

Allowing Malwarebytes to block those Tor entry nodes is generally a bad idea, because doing so hinders the effectiveness Tor.
    I'd suggest adding those Tor IP addresses to the program's whitelist / ignore list so that they are no longer blocked.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

A little about TOR here:https://www.torproject.org/about/overview.html.en.

Now, I do not at all wish to prevent you from using a program as highly regarded and effective (for what it does) as MBAM. However, as you're seeing, its IP blocker knows where you are connecting to because, otherwise, it would not work. One of the weaknesses of TOR is that it is only "safe" when using the applications it is configured for, which is usually your browser and if using the bundle which I recommend, the already pre-configured Firefox. Using another application not configured to use TOR while using TOR is risking security and privacy. This is one of the reasons why they tell you not to use Bittorrent and why you will get warnings if you download files off of the Internet through TOR.

Edit: Never whitelist any nodes or IP addresses in TOR period, especially ones being flagged by MBAM as possibly malicious. You're not hindering TOR because if you choose to do so, you'll find if you disconnect from TOR and reconnect, you'll likely end up with new nodes to connect to. I mean no offense to Casper, but that's a very risky idea.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.