Malware Removal Guide for Windows [Feedback]

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Brian_12, Jul 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. axial

axial Registered Member

My apologies for causing confusion; what I meant was that I had a problem with the download file from the Kaspersky page you linked to with your "Homepage" link, but if I navigated to Kaspersky and then to the TDSSKiller page then the download file was correct.

In other words, it seemed to be a problem with the Kaspersky download on their page, but I wondered whether the page you linked to was somehow a different "entry" and this caused the download file to be "bad".

The "bad" download link had something about "omniture" in it so I guess it was an error in coding on the Kaspersky side, but whatever the cause the download file was the wrong size and not an openable zip at all, which was somewhat alarming and it made me wonder whether the link on your page was to a rogue link of some sort.

Please be assured I do not mean to cast doubt on your integrity by saying this, that's not my intention at all, it's just to explain the reason I decided to bring it to your attention in case others received the "bad" download.

Whew!

It appears to be fixed now, however.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Oh, I should really check beforehand next time.

3. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

4. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Hi Brian,

System file checker is not particularly user friendly. The average user would have no idea how to use it. Thanks for the info.

I don't know enough about it, so I won't be adding it. Thanks.

5. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2011
  6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware:

It is suggested that a link be added for downloading the MBAM Offline Database installer file. This will allow for updating MBAM after installation in the event that no internet connection is available on the infected PC.

http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/

7. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

How often is the offline database updated?

8. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

From the link posted above; 'Someone is supposed to be updating the mbam-rules.exe download once a week now.'
    That information is from february though, no idea if it's still the case.
    You'd have to ask at the MBAM forum for details.

9. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

Most techies just take a recent copy of the rules.ref from their own system.

10. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Thanks Baserk.

11. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Update:

- Revised disclaimer
    - Added important note about malware blocking downloads (Preparation for Removal)
    - Changed TDSSKiller image
    - Removed note about running Malwarebytes in safe mode

I also added a Google Plus One button to the page. It is above the index. Please click on it. Thanks. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2011
  12. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

geohac,

I had bookmarked your page loooooong ago because someone suggested it to me at Matt Rizos' web-page [removemalware.com] because it had [still has] a tab with links of malware testing sites such as MDL , Malc0de and Clean-MX which I visit every now and then to submit samples to ESET NOD32 that haven't been included in their virus database.

[By the way, do not show the tab with the links here at Wilders because it might be edited or deleted by one of the many members of the Wilders' staff]

But other than that, your site is very informative and very useful about helping people fight malware and keeping their computers operating at their best.

Lastly, among the tools you are including to fight malware, could you add ROGUEKILLER, please? It's a utility that largely works like BleepingComputer's RKILL but it's much more efficient when it comes to terminating malicious processes running in the background on infected computers such as Fake AVs et al.

Can be downloaded from Majorgeeks, Betanews or the author's web-site [it's in French]: sur-la-toile.com/RogueKiller/

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Regards,

Carlos

13. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Hi Zyrtec,

I'm glad you found my site useful. I added RogueKiller to the list of anti-malware tools. Thanks for the suggestion.

14. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Hi guys,

I am wondering if I should remove Step 3 (Full Antivirus Scan). I think it's unnecessary because if your antivirus was not able to detect the malware, it also won't be able to remove it. What is your opinion? Should step 3 be removed? I could also move the step.

Thanks,
    Brian

15. TheKid7

I suggest adding Dr.Web CureIt. The scan speed of Dr.Web CureIt was dramatically increased beginning early last week. I saw a 2X scan speed increase on one of my Windows XP Pro PC's. Some others have reported a greater scan speed increase.

16. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

Your statement makes sense to me. If an AV is blind-as-a-bat on PREVENTING a given threat from infecting a computer, what's the point of performing a full scan with it?

Again, the best approach to deal with malware is a layered solution where the AV plays a role but it's not the only solution to stop malware.

Examples of layered solutions:

AV + Anti-executable + Virtualization software

Regards.

17. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

That's good news. :D

Update:

- Added RogueKiller (Additional Detection/Removal Tools)
    - Added Windows Defender Offline (formerly Standalone System Sweeper)
    - Added Ultra Virus Killer (Additional Detection/Removal Tools)
    - Added file sizes (Additional Detection/Removal Tools)
    - Removed unnecessary links

Thanks for your input Zyrtec.

18. guest

guest Guest

Very comprehensible, thanks.

19. TheKid7

20. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Update:

- Added instructions on how to fix the Registry (Preparation for Removal)
    - Changed Malwarebytes download link
    - Added note about manually updating Malwarebytes (Step 2)
    - Updated HitmanPro (3.6)
    - Removed F-Secure Online Scanner
    - Added Bitdefender Bootkit Removal Tool (Additional Detection/Removal Tools)

Thanks for the suggestion Kid7.

21. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

At this page, there's mention to Sucuri's blacklist. It seems it doesn't get updated that often. Last update was 2011/06/06. More than half a year ago.

Sucuri blog appears to be OK, though.

22. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Hi M00n,

I removed it from the list, but I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks.

23. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

By the way, www.malwareblacklist.com is now run by SparkTrust. ParetoLogic Malware Blacklist should be renamed to SparkTrust Malware Blacklist.

-edit-

I see that at the bottom of www.malwareblacklist.com it still mentions Paretologic, though. Maybe Paretologic is just advertising SparkTrust? o_O

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  24. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

25. Brian_12

Brian_12 Guest

Update:

- Changed the link to backup instructions
    - Added Windows Repair by Tweaking.com (Fix Post-Disinfection Problems)
    - Removed TaskManager.xls
    - Added Process Hacker (Additional Detection/Removal Tools)
    - Removed unnecessary links

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.