Malware Prevention - How Often Do People Listen?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by TheKid7, May 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

When you give someone advice on steps for Malware prevention, how often do they actually take your advice?

I find it very frustrating that most people do not implement the Malware prevention measures that I suggest.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks in Advance.

2. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

Zero

Most of the people i met i know on the internet didn't took my advice
    it's pretty scary

i wish i got the same advice Long time ago :mad: before i learned the hardway

i wish i have a time phone just to tell my Past self be more careful

i think internet Really these days need a driver licenses

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

It applies to all of life.

One group of people are interested in playing guitar. When passed instructions, they are likely to listen carefully because they want to learn. They may let malware instructions pass in one ear and out the other.

Another group of people just need a car to get from point A to point B. They don't pay much attention to thier car - keeping it clean, changing fluids, etc. They are just not interested.

Some people like sports and are able to follow thier favorite team through the season, quoting certain events from certain games, quoting stats and records for the last X number of years. However, they don't pay much attention to cooking shows usually.

It isn't often you get like minded people in computers. Music or cars or sports is much more likely. One reason why places like this exist and are so frequented is because most people who come here are of like mind.

Sul.

4. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Security triangle. More security decreases usability/comfortability. If someone wants to see a video of a dancing dog, he will not ignore it, just because it might be infected.

5. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-Some people Listen Before they got in trouble (because they don't want to get in trouble). =>Wise/Prudent. ;) :cool:
    -Some people Listen After they got in trouble. => Uninformed. :( :oops:
    -Some people Never Listen. (even After they got in trouble). Irresponsible/Careless. o_O :'(

6. moontan

moontan Registered Member

they think a computer is like a toaster or a DVD player.

one of my friend installed a rogue fake AV because he does not know what is own paid for AV looks like.:blink:

i told him that these thing do not protect against laziness or stupidity.
    in more polite terms, of course.

so they went and bought what they think will protect them, a full blown Kaspersky suite.

how much you want to bet that they didnt even bother to read the doc or go into the program to see what it looks like...

7. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

I fully agree with your classification. Third category is worst category :eek: but we can do nothing for them :'(

8. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

I think this is exactly it. People see their computer as an appliance. I have a feeling this dumbed downed approach is what is going to be shoved down our throats from OS vendors. Pretty soon, we will only have a few writable folders, and all applications will have to be purchased through an APP store. I already see Apple starting to lean that way, and when they do, Microsoft will certainly follow. All because people don't want to be bothered learning how to use their computer..

9. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Windows isn't just a dumbed down consumer OS, business users have it as well.

10. hpmnick

hpmnick Registered Member

I know.. but businesses clamor for an appliance type solution too. The justification for them would be so that they would be able to cut back on tech support costs.

I didn't say that the OS is dumbed down yet.. but I have a feeling its going to be the trend. IMO, they are going to gear things toward delivering business applications as a service (like with App-V, or remote application services).

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Ha they allways listen to me, :p because I remove the option to NOT :D listen AND make sure they only have to remember ONE thing. Advice and setup is light as a feather and solid as a rock and fits the KISS principle, Keep it simple (for) stupids.

SET AND FORGET and forbid to reverse :D
    Operating System
    Set UAC to default
    Set Windows FW ON (inbound only, add an explicit deny for Opera and Firefox, because Opera does not support 1806 protection and Firefox lacks protected mode/low right tabs)
    Set Windows update ON
    Disable Windows Defender
    Disable USB autorun through registry
    Auto logon with password (enter the password in the advanced user options, so no manual password entry is required)
    Add the 1806 trick, to enforce a selective default deny on downloaded executables
    :D remove the rights to change this via Regedit (right click on key, choose permissions) of all users except a named admin:D

Network
    Add a better DNS service (change the properties of their wireless device, 99% has so much trouble getting wireless to work, they won't dare to mess with it) I allways install Clearcloud Sunbelt at the moment). Change user, password and name of SSID, add a solid password and strongest encryption possible with the router.

Browsers
    Add Chrome, disabling external plug-ins of adobe and using only Chrome's own plug-ins, running with --safe-plugins switch. Add McFee site advisor and some new tab type of thing (so the see the Google search screen as home page and new tab) and bookmarks-menu plus history button (to get IE9 like bookmark/history functionality) and load the WIndows7/Vista basic skin (light blue) to make it look more like IE

Security
    Install EMET2 (has no pop-ups, so they do not know it is on their PC)
    Install Avast free with fileshield and sandbox only (set password, sameone for everything, hey I know it is not perfect, but better than none). Do not forget to add stricter PUP protection (potentially unwanted programs) in Avast's settings.
    Install PrevX safeOnline Facebook freebie (protects their on-line transactions), set heuristics to apply after age and population (set age and population to medium also).

HERE IS THE ONE LINE INSTRUCTION
    RIGHT CLICK EXECUTABLE AND UNBLOCK THROUGH PROPERTIES

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  12. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Yeap...That's how things have been...;)

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  13. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

It depends on how much respect they have for you and your advice. Where I work, there are the so-called "white-collar" engineers with egos the size of the national debt. No matter who else is in the room with them, they are ALWAYS the smartest people in the room.

With all their superior wisdom, intellect and insight, you'd think THEY would be the ones who would never have any trouble with infections, right?

Wrong.

They're the worst.

14. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Most know more than you...they don't listen

15. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Quite a few people have taken the advice I've given. It's all about presenting it simply and then explaining the importance in a way they'll understand.

Of course, for each person who listens there are 10 more who don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.