Malware-Laced Banner Ads At MySpace, Excite

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by ronjor, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Actually, the file is not downloaded. AE flags the attempted download to the temp directory as indicated in the Alert, but checking that directory reveals that the file was not downloaded.

You can check by attempting to download a large installer, maybe 2 MB, for example. AE flags immediately, not waiting until the file is downloaded.

The reason AE can do this is that code analysis is one of its checks.

Blue and I discussed this in another thread quite awhile back. He came up with an idea of how AE checks this, but I can't find the particular post.

I've found that if you watch the temp directory you can see the file briefly appear, and then it goes away. You have to be quick!

I've noticed that in Opera's cache, sometimes the filename remains, but it is always 0 bytes.

As Aigle discovered with the spoofed extensions, most HIPS will let the file download and then block its execution. If AE's copy protection is enabled, the file cannot download (download = copy from the internet to disk).

If you disable copy protection, the file will download, but you cannot execute it.

----
    rich

2. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

What a program. Thank you Rich.

3. tlu

tlu Guest

4. Dogbiscuit

Dogbiscuit Guest

Keep all your software fully patched and run only in limited user accounts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.