Malware infections (last 12 months) and malware concerns (next 12 months)?

Discussion in 'polls' started by InfinityAz, Aug 19, 2006.

?

Malware infection/exposure (last 12 months) & Malware concerns (next 12 months)

1. Adware (past)

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Backdoor (past)

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. Botnet (past)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Dialer (past)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Hijacker (past)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  6. Keylogger (past)

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  7. Phisphing (past)

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  8. Rootkit (past)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  9. Spam (past)

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  10. Spyware (past)

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  11. Trojan Horse (past)

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  12. Virus (past)

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  13. Worm (past)

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  14. Other/Don't Know (past - please specify)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  15. None (past)

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  16. Adware (FUTURE)

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  17. Backdoor (FUTURE)

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  18. Botnet (FUTURE)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  19. Dialer (FUTURE)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  20. Hijacker (FUTURE)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  21. Keylogger (FUTURE)

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  22. Phisphing (FUTURE)

6 vote(s)
    12.8%
  23. Rootkit (FUTURE)

17 vote(s)
    36.2%
  24. Spam (FUTURE)

5 vote(s)
    10.6%
  25. Spyware (FUTURE)

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  26. Trojan Horse (FUTURE)

14 vote(s)
    29.8%
  27. Virus (FUTURE)

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  28. Worm (FUTURE)

4 vote(s)
    8.5%
  29. Other/Don't Know (FUTURE - please specify)

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  30. None (FUTURE)

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I've seen several articles on how trojans are rapidly increasing in frequency. Plus, there is more and more talk about rootkits, keyloggers, etc.

I wondered what types of malware you personally have been infected with or exposed to during the last 12 months (accidentally infected or exposed to and not on purpose for testing, etc.). I also wondered what types of malware you think or are most concerned about for the next 12 months. Concerned about could equate to most likely to be exposed to, more prevalent, increasing threat, etc.

I realize there is some overlap in the types of malware but there is a limited number of choices for polls so I came up with this poll. The poll repeats to cover the past and future.

Past = infected with or exposed to during the last 12 months
    Future = concerned about for the next 12 months

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I haven't been infected in almost three years and that time was my own fault during a reformat and restore of the os. I am not anymore concerned about getting infected in the next year than i was in the past year. You just have to be careful and run good security apps with out going overboard..

Oh and the infection I had three years ago was a worm.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Common sense, our brains, and safe hex are generally the best security apps -- although, often, all three are not used frequently enough (just speaking personally).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2006
  4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

For the last 12 months the only thing I couldn't stop or really control is spam mail although it is manageable, no matter what you use there's always a possibility that some important mail may not reach you if you trust a program to to filter it for you.

Unless drastic measures are undertaken to combat spammers (5 years mandatory prison sentences for starters) I don't see how this plague could be stopped.

Rootkits are also quite scary as they are very difficult to detect.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

to the best of my recollection, most if not all of my past infections have been trojans. nothing special, my antivirus could usually handle it easily.

for teh future, i see rootkits as a concern. they can be embedded deeply into the OS and theyre tricky to detect and remove.

6. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I havent been infected with anything for, I dont know, maybe four or five years (well my realtime scanner in my AV has found some malware in javascripts, but that doesnt count I guess). I am worried about (evil) rootkits when it becomes embedded in legitimate software. That would make it a pain to investigate my computer after every install I make. Unless someone makes a program that can distinguish between good and bad rootkit behaviour.

7. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I voted None (past) and I would also vote None (Future), just for myself.
    As for others, I would vote Trojans (bots, keyloggers, ransomware, rootkits).
    I had no infections for 3 years and I use just firewall as realtime for 8 months.

8. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I voted both past and future none, never had the privilege of having malware on this system.

Lamehand

9. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I voted none to past and future also, I had a virus back around 1999, that's been it for me, I just do not encounter all these internet threats I read about in forums. I sometimes wonder if it's hype or reality...

10. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

You said...
    only for education - so none
    and asked...
    mmm all I suppose, on their own, blended threats, and other - vulnerability with os, although I'm not particulary worried for myself.
    As I'm looking at some really nasty malware right now blended with strikes against the os, mbr, kernel structure/DKOM I gave rootkit a vote.

11. TNT

TNT Registered Member

It's very much reality, and worse than you probably imagine. I encounter infected computers ALL the time.

12. Suggers

Suggers Guest

Some people on forums may be a bit paranoid, but unfortunately it is reality, even for 'safe' surfers - I had a variant of Win32/Mabutu.A Worm spammed to one of my email addresses I rarely use a couple of years ago, I had the experience not to open it and deleted it, but many people are tricked by these emails with fake sender names.

Also, my AV blocked a trojan-downloader about a month or so ago, while I was visiting a 'safe' site that has been up for years, but it was compromised and was trying to download a trojan to all visitors, until the site owners got on top of it.

Suggers

13. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I see, people still talking about some malware, popups or spam, it just sounds so unreal. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  14. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Spam is the only problem I'm directly affected by. Some place with my e-mail addy recently got a mailing worm. On PCs I clean for others, trojans and backdoors are what I'm finding the most of. Didn't find half as many viruses/worms as in previous years. Only a few had rootkits, but with many of my clients still using Win98/ME, I see very few rootkits. Spam is probably the biggest problem most people I know have. Most of the spam I see on both my PC and clients have simulated names and realistic appearing subject lines, and the spam filters are not dealing with it well.
    For the next year, spam won't get any better. Conventional trojans and backdoors will probably decrease some but will be replaced by ones using rootkits. On really bad notes, I expect to see some virtualization software and sandboxing apps defeated.
    One item I didn't see in the poll comes to mind as well, software and OS exploits. If Vista does get released, we'll see some very nasty exploits found, especially if it comes with built in DRM. We'll also see a lot more exploits found and used in other software. Just what we need, more ways to infect a system.
    Rick

15. marcromero

marcromero Guest

I seem to live a sheltered internet life... :D

16. pykko

pykko Registered Member

Well, there were couple of Ad/Spy trying to break my PC security in the past but hope in the future I'll become a good boy and encounter nothing bad. :D :D

17. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Beside a couple of Spam every day, I haven't been infected for the last three
    years and I am confident it will stay like that in the future.;)

18. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

What do I do to keep my computer secure? Basically most of my knowledge of all this 'stuff' is from my past experiences with it and doing some experiments on my own.

What I learn, I apply it, and I even create plans for my whole computer system, from security to... basically I cover everything, because a computer system is not only about security. And based on my own judgement, I decide what's best for my own system and fit it in.

This system is only secure when it is operated correctly. The rest is secret.

19. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    You're not the only one.
    Mrk

20. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

I voted none in the past, since my mutli-layer defenses seem to have so far done just fine. Tracking cookies, sure -- but they weren't included, and I think we agree that with extremely rare exceptions those are more nuisance than threat.

Spam -- well, my ISP takes care of most of that before I even see it.

On one occasion I thought I'd run into a homepage-hijack attempt (SpywareGuard popped up its warning). But in hindsight I must have accidentally hit their "make this your homepage" link, since no such problems there (or anywhere else) since.

As for the future -- who knows what'll be "out there"?

21. malformed

malformed Former Poster

I've never been infected and I highly doubt I ever will.

22. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I get the occasional Spam.A few Phishing attempts of late.
    I'm not overly concerned with either.As long as a user is educated on fraudulent e-mails,caution is a good defense.

My concern for the future is spyware/adware.

23. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I voted "none", because it's supposed to be that way, but there is nothing so insecure as security.

24. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Been exposed to many. Infected by none.

25. new_age

new_age Registered Member

I focus on the future. Trojan's WILL be a hassle :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.