Malware hides behind the mouse

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by PJC, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

2. Eww, that's obnoxious. I'd like to know what actual ITW malware does this though, and how it installs itself on end user machines in the first place...

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

It all begins with the initial infection, afterwards what happens is meaningless.
    And you can't trust security companies to tell you about security.
    So Symantec blah blah is useless.
    Mrk

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Several classic HIPS, even the old ones like SSM free, will intercept that hook and alert the user to the attempt.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Yeah but not many people use HIPS. :D

6. noone_particular

True. That said, conventional detection based security is becoming impossible. This subject was originally in this thread. If you can trust the way Symantec counts malware (extremely hyped quantities), they're claiming a million new variants per day, which makes detection by identification a total joke. IMO, we're approaching the point where default-permit based security on PCs with average users playing administrator is not viable. I don't see a viable answer that works for the average user that still allows them to safely have administrator access. I don't believe that sandboxing will prove that durable in the long run. I wonder how long it will be before windows won't allow a user to install anything that doesn't come through their store. IMO, it's going in that direction faster than most want to admit.

7. jo3blac1

jo3blac1 Registered Member

You forget about a couple of other alternative security apps:
    1) SD -> has never been overcome by malware
    2) App guard -> another one never bypassed by malware
    3) SBIE --> also never heard of anyone getting infected through it either

I don't think that Windows can go 100% like iOS. There will always have to be a way for large companies to side load custom made apps.

8. noone_particular

I haven't used SD and app guard and am not familiar with their abilities/limitations. With Sandboxie, the developer has said that it is not as effective on 64 bit because of restrictions the OS places on legit apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.