malware enbeded in .jpg, .doc

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rabiddog, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Thanks for the test files Rmus.
    If anyone's interested, here's how KIS 2010 did:
    hmmapiTestKIS 1.png
    hmmapiTestKIS 2.png

...and unrelated to this, .vbs and .dll management (amongst others) as another example:
    HIPSBrowserDataAccess.png
    FWdll.png
    etc. etc.

2. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

Here's Tzuk's reply:
    "Anything that is a process. I.e. if you can see it as a standalone process in Task Manager or Process Explorer, then it's subject to Start/Run restrictions. If it's a document (text or binary or music or video, doesn't matter) that is opened by some other executable, then it's that other executable that is subject to Start/Run restrictions".

3. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Try this. Load Win 98 SE. Remove all these file types. Install an AV or AS -- NOT REALLY NECESSARY. Now instan SSM Free and winsonar and Opera 10.

Dave
    Old things never fade away, they just become "old generals."

4. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Thanks for this Rmus! Im gonna test it with sbie.

Edit: Will it work with the word processor in Open Office?

5. Dregg Heda

Thanks for this SSJ!:thumb:

Now the question is which binary executables are seen as standalone processes and which are not.

6. Dregg Heda

1) Good point, but are all script executables run by a .exe as in your examples?

2) Again good point. Although a weak point arises if you're forced to let one of those exe's run in order to enable a program to function properly.

PS: it seems sbie is Gods gift to man!:eek: :cool:

7. Dregg Heda

I love Win98 SE! That OS was my favourite! :cool:

8. ssj100

ssj100 Guest

Well mate, in terms of whether Sandboxie protects you (which is ultimately what you're wanting to know), maybe you should ask Franklin - he's tested several billion (haha) malware in Sandboxie, and none has ever bypassed it. I think that's pretty good evidence right?

Anyway, I'll see what Tzuk says about what executables can run etc, and post back.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

10. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I'm not sure what the screen shots are showing, except I see that you are prompted for action. On what would you base your decision?

The document should open; I don't know if the macro will run. If not, maybe you can convert it, or write an AutoOpen macro yourself.

----
    rich

11. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

I would also like to point out:

So beware when executing files, no matter what extension.

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

For sure!

A simple test shows how an executable will run as a program from the command prompt no matter the file extension.
    I rename notepad.exe to notepad.bdf and it runs anyway:

cmd-1.gif

How to protect against malware? This came up last year in a discussion about an exploit where an autorun.inf file used cmd.exe to run the executable.

If I take a malware executable (not White Listed) and rename to .bdf, any Default-Deny protection will block the executable from running:

cmd-2.gif

Someone tested this with SRP but I can't locate the screen shot.

----
    rich

13. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Hi,
    Test.vbs is a custom script that tries to access sensitive browser data, in this case not part of any malware, but it could be... Point is that, it shows that KIS doesn't control the (script) host but the file itself... like for .bat files- it doesn't look at cmd.exe but at the .bat itself.
    The later is malware that uses rundll to download additional payload through it's .dll component.
    The popups show that KIS is aware of modules with random extensions ran through rundll and is able to control them (like any other "normal" applications). Having said that, it shows you can configure KIS' HIPS to behave like an anti-executable... if some HIPS isn't aware of such methods (amongst others), it wouldn't be a very good anti-executable, would it? :) KIS main purpose isn't to be an anti-executable, but this further proves that it could be if you want to configure it as such.
    Experience, knowledge, common sense or blind luck... like with any other HIPS-like application. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.