Malware Defender

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tobacco, Jun 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

With everything disabled except "Network Protection", is this program good enough to monitor outbound connectionso_O ?

I'm already behind a router.

Thanks!

2. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

was about to ask for the same.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

In short: No

example: TVgenial4 - an EPG. has outbound traffic with ie-components - not itself.

try another solution!

4. subset

subset Registered Member

MD would only catch apps which establish a direct connection to the network, like app.exe wants to use Port x to connect to IP y.

MD would not see if a file like app.exe is replaced by another one with the same name or if a process uses another process to gain access to the network, as these things are part of File Protection and Application Protection.

IMHO MD is not really designed for such things, most likely it would be better to use a pure FW like LnS.

Cheers

5. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Thanks for the headsup.

Since inbound protection was already covered, i have been looking for just a simple program to monitor and alert outbound connections only.

I've given up and gone ahead with installing Comodo Firewall. Now to reduce the popups.

6. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Why not use File and App protection with MD instead? It's just as light as Comodo with D+.

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I'm not a fan of alot of popups and was only looking to be alerted to out going connections not "explorer.exe is trying to open notepad.exe"

8. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Once you've set a rule for such actions, you will not see a popup. Run it in learning mode for a few days.

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Hey There Greg

Tried that and all is fine until you install something new. Also, that tricky bugger "avnotify" has jailbreaked on me a few times when running MD in learning mode after a "block rule" had already been set.

10. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

Comodo without D+ is no better than MD without File and App control. You can fine tune either to do what you want. If I wasn't using x64 I would prefer to use MD.

You have to set a preference for Learning mode rules not to overwrite previous Block rules.

11. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

So far, i'm liking comodo more than MD but will keep that in mind if i decide to revisit that app;)

Thank You

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.