Malware Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Ibrad, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subset

subset Registered Member

That would be the first step in the right direction.
    I hope 360safe will also release the other localized versions of MD. :shifty:

Cheers

2. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

MD went the way of the late great ProSecurity. That developer went to Comodo last I heard. Hopefully Xiaolin is helping another company the same way.

3. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I don't really see the MD author going to work for another company as good news. Look what happened to ProSecurity. I have a license for MD and ProSecurity. Obviously working with this new company will take most of his time. I've seen this in the tech industry a million times. This will make me more hesitant to buy security software in the future, because it seems that individual developers don't last long on their own.

4. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

I don't regret purchasing MD even if 2.6.0 is the last version. It was worth every penny I paid and my only wish is that it had been available earlier in XP's lifecycle. I hope Xiaolin finds 360safe is a good fit and am looking forward to any announcement's he may have regarding MD's future. :)

5. arran

arran Registered Member

True its not good news, but its also not the end of the world, it runs stable on win7 so we have got it for the life of win7.

6. abels

abels Registered Member

Maybe MD conflicts with Comodo Firewall. When I installed MD after installing CF bluescreen of death appeared and I have to remove MD.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dont forget that D+ and MD are hips program and can conflicts any time:)
    there must be a work around for example running MD in learning mode when installing comodo or add in safe file lists withing comodo for example,also trusted comodo in MD trusted are

8. arran

arran Registered Member

unless you have comodo HIPS disabled there is no need to run both D+ and MD
    that's just silly, it would be like running 2 AV's or Deep freeze and returnil together.

9. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Any Classical HIPS is a noncommercial software. Therefore it seems that all hips developers are following (sooner or later) the rule of the international trade: merge with bigger companies. Thats life. See Process Guard, System Safety Monitor, Pro Security, Ghost Security (well the last not merged but abandoned) and some others that I cannot remember.

This proves that there is no commercial future in the traditional hips.

I doubt there will be a refund, but good program anyway.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

well said mike;) agree:)

11. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

Thanks jmonge. I hope there will be another traditional hips that we can rely on, in the near future. For the time being I am so attached to MD and find it very difficult to replace it.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i know mike:)

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

1- I agree IF & ONLY IF your statement is amended to read: "Any stand-alone classical HIPS is a non-commercial software."

2-There ARE some extant classical HIPS in suites. Examples...
    >Online Armor is a classical HIPS plus Firewall.
    >Outpost Firewall includes a classical HIPS. Not quite so configurable as MD, but classical, nonetheless.
    >EQSecure is still very much alive & seems to have carved itself a "commercial" niche.
    >And do not forget the D+ component of Comodo Internet Security

3- NONE of those you listed were merged...
    >Process Guard - still available but questionable support
    >System Safety Monitor - not merged. Abandoned.
    >Pro Security - not merged. Sold & re-named Realtime Defender. Evidently abandoned. The proponent of ProSecurity went to work for Comodo but Comodo did not buy ProSecurity. Too bad that they didn't buy it -- ProSecurity is far superior to Comodo's own convoluted D+ HIPs.

14. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

Dont forget Drive Security Agent in PrivateFireWall

15. Einsturzende

Einsturzende Registered Member

I would say if there is no "editable places" to add/defend it isn't classical HIPS I rather call it beh. blocker... e.g. Agnitum added "editable places" in OP v7... V6.× is rudimentary beh. blocker (there is no complex verdict which will say: "this is malware" by analyzing multiple behavior and other characteristic of file in internal sandbox.. but rather simple this file will do "this" allow/deny, then will do "that" allow/deny...) + packet filter
    KasperskyIS also have a classical HIPS
    What is convoluted in D+?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  16. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

What do you guys think? The MD fans. :D Is MD with all shields in silent mode enough to stop anything? :argh:

It seems to be light now that I'm testing it, can anyone confirm that too?

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

MD in silent mode is silent enough to block all types of ex-files downloads;)

18. EscapeVelocity

EscapeVelocity Registered Member

I was really digging Malware Defender. I may come back to it. Im checking out PrivateFireWall now (with Dynamic Security Agent).

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i am currently malware testing system safety monitor to see how it protects the registry;)

20. subset

subset Registered Member

OP currently makes a big step in the right direction with its configurable file and registry rules for version 7.
    At least for x64 it looks promising as FW/HIPS for all AV refusenik like me.

I read at the Chinese MD forum that a developer has disappeared into thin air and the other one... well, they will have to wait for a Win7 compatible version most likely forever.
    But maybe I'm just a victim of Google translator.

Cheers

21. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

I have to agree with your post. However online armor is FIREWALL with some hips. I love the interface but the hips seemed very basic last time I tried. I mean it didn't give me full control of my PC. As for "merge" it was erroneously phrased. Developers just abandoned projects to go and work somewhere else.

Edit: am I wrong about OA hips? Haven't tried it for long time, what do you think about OA hips?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  22. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

It is really very light. I believe if you are under a hardware firewall and you are browsing with sandboxie or similar, you will be pretty safe, I do it for more than a year. I cannot confirm if it can stop anything though.

23. zerotox

zerotox Registered Member

Can someone tell me if you start using the trial now when MD is no longer developed, at the end of 30 days what happens? Does it turn into some sort of a free cut-down version?

24. arran

arran Registered Member

what developer has disappeared? xiaolin ?

25. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I thought someone posted about MD going free soon. o_O Anyone got any more information on if this is true and would that def. hurt how MD protects in the future? :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.