Malware Defender

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by RSpanky, May 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RSpanky

RSpanky Registered Member

Just wondering if Malware Defender would be a good compliment to my current setup? I have Defensewall, Prevx3 and Sandboxie on demand installed. Plus Netgear Router. I guess want I am asking do I need more out bound protection,and protection for my files registry etc.

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

MD is a great product, but given your setup it will probably be overkill. Just my opinion.

3. RSpanky

Do you think that I need a light firewall? I have a license for online armor, the last time I had installed seemed a bit heavy

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

That's tough to answer, as you will get many suggesting you should use one, while others will say no. You do have a router and if you are safing under the secure confines of DW and/or SB, you should be pretty darn secure :) On my kid's old computer it is behind a router and the only security software is SandBoxie. For a few months so far like this, there have been no issues whatsoever. Sandboxie is a terrific product and although I've never used DW, most members in this forum who use it rave about it, so I'd say you're good to go.

5. RSpanky

Yes I am behind a Netgear router. I've been toying around with the idea of trying out OpenDns any opinions on this?

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

my advise is keep Defensewall and malware defender,defensewall will protect the applications that uses internet to transport malware and it does it's job very good and malware defender to cover the whole system;) something bypass defensewall which is almost imposible then malware defender will be there to save your happy day:)

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i played with opendns and it's parental control but when running sandboxie the opendns filter didnt work:mad: that was like 5 months ago maybe that isue is fixed who knows:) and also it slow down my browsing alitle

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For several months I have used OpenDNS together with Sandboxie & Malware Defender. The combination works flawlessly for me -- & it is very light on resources.

9. RSpanky

Do you have full function with Malware Defender trial? I really hate to disable defensewall because I like the app so well, really fill secure with it. One of the posters said he thinks it would over kill, not sure if it would be or not, I am a noobie at this, but I am learning a lot from this forum. I'm on my friends computer but when I get back home I going to try openDns

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Guys,

Stop being paranoid. DefenseWall (containg all internet facing programs and downloaded files) and Prevx (with a medium focus on heuristics, age and popularity, set heuristcs After Age) is a wonderfull user firendly combo, able to defeat all the malware I know off.

DW and PrevX match wonderfully: DW is your first and problably strong enough line for all malware. When you decide to install a program then PrevX will kick in (therefore apply hueristics after age). In between PrevX will prevent you from sending malware to friends (you would not notice malware because DW will paralyse it).

It is because I am cheap Dutch guy, therefore I have DW and DriveSentry on my wife's laptop, when lisence of PrevX would be cheaper, that would be my pick (DW + PrevX).

I am just not used of paying for software, I some times get free lisences.

Regards Kees

11. RSpanky

Thanks Kees, I guess I am a little paranoid I think you are right about my current setup, so I will stay with it. Thanks for all the replies

12. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

Do it. I use it and have had zero problems. Good filtering and blocks the sites I don't want to go to anyway.

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

You might consider changing PrevX settings

a) apply heuristics after AGE
    b) set all others to medium

This really is a winner setup combined with DefenseWall 2.54

14. Creer

Creer Registered Member

Totally agree with Kees, i use only DefenseWall and Windows Firewall (because OA doesn't work on Windows7) and i feel pretty secure. :thumb:

15. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

DW & MD are altogether different types of security software. DW is one of the best of its type. MD is one of the best of its type.

I deeply regret that you & other DW fan boys saw fit to turn yet another thread into a DW promotional spiel. :(

16. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

md IS one of the best PAID , comodo cis IS the best HIPS but FREE :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.