MALWARE DEFENDER SETUP TIPS

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Kees1958, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Kees, thanks for the tips. :)

2. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

I'm not a partisan of spoonfeeding. Why don't you try to lean how to use MD and make rules by yourself? The satisfaction will be FAR greater.

3. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I don't remember MD alerting me on the "Denied" action in the screenshot. It was easy enough to right-click--> Create Permit Rule to resolve, but it does seem odd there was no alert on it. Maybe there is still a bit of conflict between JPFW 2 and MD?? This is just a heads up to maybe check the logs sometimes for these "Denied" actions. If they are legit processes as in this case then the right-click option to create a permit rule is handy. I'm sure I've seen this "non-alert" anomaly before; I just don't remember the processes involved.

Attached Files:

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Hmm... a rather condescending statement. I think you might have a problem there somewhere. Be that as it may, I was merely making reference to the committment that you yourself made HERE, not long ago. I quote it as follows...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Actually I have cobbled together a fairly decent ruleset by tweaking rules gleaned by MD's learning mode, PLUS a bit of input from my IT when he had a few minutes to spare from time to time, PLUS some excellent suggestions in Kees' set-up tips on MD. However, I am fairly certain that my cobbled-together rules are not at the level I have heard that you can produce. Therefore, I do hope you find time to develop the ruleset as you said you would do.

Aloha & Best wishes for a happy holiday season,
    Bellgamin
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The mark of a *True Professional* is that he will graciously impart knowledge to others without going out of his way to belittle "amateurs."

Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Let's try not to take side-stepped OT comments too seriously like that. I think the best route for all of us MD users is to share all and any of our experiences/issues and we're surely to reach a mutual agreement that can be applied best to keep MD at the top of it's development and effectiveness.

So far it's working brilliantly from what i can read.

EASTER

6. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

@bellgamin, wtf are you talking about? If you want, i can always quote the definition of the word "probably" in case you don't know what it means!!! Don't act like a moron and don't play with my nerves.

7. bellgamin

Okay, I replied mildly before, and you have responded with crude & abusive language. I have no intention of sinking to your level. If you want to play with word definitions in order to renege on your promise, that's fine with me. Go in peace.

Further deponent sayeth naught.

8. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

@bellgamin, i never said "you'll see". I said "you'll PROBABLY see". Again, don't play with my nerves, espèce de connard!

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Jugez un homme par ses réponses plutôt que par ses questions :D

10. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Hi
    OK guys, will you try to cool the high flung rhetoric and play nice. I really do not want to see this thread "closed" because of "splitting hairs", so stop it please. ;)
    I am interested in the suggestions put forth by Kees (and other users) as I am one of those "kicking the tires" of MD. ;)
    Constructive discussion and feedback, will help the developer improve his product and users become more familiar with the application.
    It would be appreciated if we could try to be civil towards each other. :D
    Thanks/Merci.
    Cheers :)

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

o_O kees you are french o_O

12. bellgamin

Zen said this...
    I replied with this...
    My reply was not insulting. If anything, it inferred a compliment toward Alcyon's expertise. In return I was chided by Alcyon about needing to be spoonfed (post #77). Then he called me a moron (post #81) for reminding him about his statement that he would work on a ruleset.

I had intended to drop this with my last post, and I think Alcyon had similar intent. Then along comes someone to scold me for being the target of these slanderous comments...

Read through this thread. I think I have contributed something. I have posted several times herein with (hopefully) constructive comments. Further, I was the one who asked Kees to do this tutorial in the first place. Then I alerted Xiaolin to Kees' abilities. Afterward, when this thread was started, I alerted Xiaolin so that he would participate.

I try to be nice & equable, but I will NOT suffer insults silently. Neither will I meekly accept shotgun scoldings for defending myself when I am the target of unnecessarily antagonistic comments.

Now, if nobody else decides to counsel me, this silliness will likely end here.

13. Alcyon

Alcyon Registered Member

I invite you to read carefully the non-subtle "now edited" reply you throwed at me. Your insults contributed to something. Xiaolin will propably explain it to you. Btw, if you're unable to understand the difference between a promise and a probability, you have some serious problems.

14. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

@ Bellgamin & Alcyon: Please let's move forward peacefully. Both of you are long time contributors here in Wilders and have contributed a lot of good information. I hate to see you both going back and forth like this. o_O

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Zuruk Zum Thema wenden Sie Sich bitte:thumb:

16. bellgamin

Meanwhile, back at the topic :D ----

I use MVPS HOSTS file. I also use Hosts Toggle to manage it.

What settings would do the following...

1- Deny Write permission to HOSTS (except per 2 below)?

2- Allow ONLY HostsToggle.exe to write to HOSTS?

17. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

damn, MD get in here 100% cpu when set it to normal mode:mad: (xp sp3 uptodate)
    i run on the same system (for test) SSM , RTD , COMODO ,MAMUTU all run clean and smooth for days , only this MD insist on 100% cpu o_O

it is 100% a bug in MD , how can i make some log save that show what the hell is going in it?

cheers:blink:

18. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

No Dutch but most of us, speak a little German and French to (by the way the intentional mis-quote of Voltaire :p was directed at Alcyon to take it easy)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2008
  19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ok i see:cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.