Malware Defender Question

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by n8chavez, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I have just recently discovered Malware Defender. So far I like it a lot, it replaced WinPatrol and RunScanner, as well as my firewall. I did have a couple of questions though. Does it alert the user is there have been any changes to system services? Also, I'm wondering if there is some sort of comparability issue between Malware Defender and Stardock's WindowBlinds 6. It seems that every time I logoff my system when I log back in my Window Blind theme has changed. There is a substyle that I use of a WB theme that uses transparency. That is no longer the theme used because when I log back in there is no transparency used. I never had anything like this before installing MD.

Any ideas?

n8

2. xiaolin

xiaolin Registered Member

MD can not protect against accessing SCM (service control manager) yet. I am considering add this protection.

Is there any information in the logs? Could you try switching to Learning Mode, log off and then log back?

Thanks,
    Xiaolin

3. n8chavez

I've done as you suggested; cleared the log, entered learning mode, logged off, and then back in. But the issue remains. And there was nothing in the log to suggest what happened. The log was empty.

4. n8chavez

This gets weirder than I thought. It seems AdMuncher is having a similar issue; I can logoff with AdMuncher functioning as it is intended to yet when I log back in it no longer works at all. Yet, if I shutdown AM and then start it again once I log back in it works. I am getting no MD prompts that would suggest why this is happening.

I can confirm that it is MD doing this and that the problem seems to be with the logoff procedure rather than at login. With MD turned off I can logoff just fine. Then when I log back in MD is active, as it is supposed to be. AM works correctly in this case. Meaning that the only time MD could not effect anything was during the logoff.

Anyone else have this issue?

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  5. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Hi n8chavez,
    I am using WindowBlinds 6.1 (build 55 x86) with Malware Defender. I do not use Windows Log Off function, but out of curiosity decided to test this.
    Firstly I do not use any transparency in themes due to personal taste. Anyway I logged out and back in to discover that I now had transparencyo_O

Unconvinced that MD had anything to do with it(especially since there was no info in the logs) I decided upon a fresh clean image. Installed WB, logged out and back in, all was in good order. Installed MD, rebooted in Learning Mode, logged off and back in, viola!! After setting no transparency the transparency was back.

So, yes there seems to be a problem with wblind.dll hooking back into explorer. This is difficult for me to trouble-shoot any further, so we will have to wait to see what xiaolin has to say.

6. xiaolin

tony, thank you for the test! :)

I will test the scenario to find out the problem.

PS. Are you using Windows XP?

7. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Yes, XP Professional here.
    Thanks xiaolin

8. n8chavez

I too am using XP. the Home version.

9. xiaolin

I installed WB 6.3 (build 67 X86), but cannot recreate the bug yet. I am not familiar with WB, could you write the exact steps to recreate the bug? Thank you. :)

PS. The following log is recorded when logging off and on (MD is in learning mode).

3/2/2009 12:21:44 c:\program files\stardock\object desktop\windowblinds\screen.exe Send message to another process c:\windows\system32\csrss.exe Permitted [App]* Message: WM_SETTINGCHANGE

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.