Malware defender - few questions

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tomazyk, Jul 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Hi to all!

I have three questions about Malware defender for which I did not find answers on this forum or net:

1. After last Windows 7 update MD wants to update kernel symbols and I always get an error: Failed to get kernel symbols. I removed symbols folder but that didn't help. Is this MD problem or is the problem on Microsoft side? Does any of you have the same problem?

2. Is there a rule or a setting which would make MD checking if application was modified? Let's say, after update MD would tell me that application was modified and if I want to update "checksum" or something like that.

3. How could I configure MD so that instead of creating new rules for applications inside a parent's rule it would make stand alone rules for child? Let's say parent.exe wants to run child.exe. I would like MD to create new application rule for child and not add child to parent's application subrule. That way I could always see which applications are allowed to run on main rules page and I wouldn't have to check all rules for application subrules.

Thank you for your help!

My config: Windows7 Ultimate X86 Sp1, Malware defender 2.7.3.0002

2. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

OK, I figured out the last one. Still looking for the answer on first two :)

3. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Q1 - no idea, never experienced that problem before
    Q2 - no, MD does not support checksum validation

4. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

1. Probably the Microsoft people haven't uploaded those symbols yet. Unlikely I think, but possible. Can't think of another reason since Malware Defender had always managed to get the needed symbols before.
    2. Malware Defender doesn't check file hashes, as it has File Protection module. In other words: exe files can be protected with rules and usually the user has a chance to block any modifications so there is no need for a checksum feature. Basically that's what the author says.

5. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Thank you both for your answers.
    I guess I will have to enable file protection rules if I will want that protection.

6. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

The only time that I have experienced your number one is the outgoing attempt is blocked by the firewall

7. Scoobs72

Actually, I've just seen that there's some similar reports of the problem on the Chinese forum, citing the recent Windows updates. The answer there seems to be "wait for Microsoft to update them".

8. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

I use only windows 7 firewall and MD's network rules. I don't have any restricitons for outgoing connections for MD. The same thing is happening on two different computers and on both it started after the last update. I never had this problem before, so I guess it has to be something on Microsoft side.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't know where the kernel symbol is. I have never been able to install any 2.7 Malware Defender versions.

I had totally removed MD a little while back, and decided to reinstall. I installed 2.72(I think that was the number) and the kernel symbol download failed. I uninstalled and reinstalled 2.6 and the download of the symbols was successful.

Pete

10. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

They are stored in symbols subfolder of MD instalation folder.
    MD downloads them from Microsoft server. Usually they have to be updated after some windows updates.
    For some reason I can't update them after last update. Don't know why... :doubt:

11. Scoobs72

Have you tried deleting the old subfolder before trying to download them again?

12. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Yes, as I mentioned in my first post, it didn't help.
    I hope reports that You saw on Chinese forum are correct.

It is strange that other users haven't reported the problem, here on Wilders.
    Can someone confirm, they could update their kernel symbols after July 13th Windows 7 updates?

13. Scoobs72

Just tried it on a fully patched Win7 and I too cannot update the kernel symbols. So, it appears to be an MS problem.

14. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

Thank you a lot, Scoobs.
    It is nice to know that it's not just me :)

15. Scoobs72

No problem. Enjoy MD, it's a phenomenal application. :)

16. Night_Raven

Night_Raven Registered Member

I just tried to manually download the symbols and it worked this time. I don't know when the issue had disappeared because I haven't checked every day and don't reboot my system often.

Just wanted to give a notice to those who still don't have the new symbols, if any.

17. tomazyk

tomazyk Guest

This time I could download kernel symbols also.

Thank you for info :)

18. mant

mant Registered Member

What's the original name of this software?

19. Scoobs72

The original name of Malware Defender was Malware Defender. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.