Malware Defender apparently poor detection of loaded/hidden DLLs

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by peteck, Jan 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteck

peteck Registered Member

Hi Xaolin, thanks for your excellent program, I've bought a license and very glad that I did :)

I've hoped for a while to employ your program as a general malware detector and remover (or a tool to aid in such) but haven't yet found the time to do much real world testing with it.

Recently though I saw this:
    http://www.ntinternals.org/dll_detection_test.php

In light of the aspiration stated on the Torchsoft website "Malware Defender is also an advanced rootkit detector. It provides many useful tools that can be used to detect and remove already installed malware."

Will you consider improving MD's loaded DLL detection in the future ?

Thanks.

2. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

The tested version was 2.4.3 however in 2.4.4b xiaolin changed the implementation from Ring3 to Ring0 to enhance this dll shortcoming.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1576552&postcount=5

How much better is 2.4.3 to the current 2.5? Not 100% sure exactly, but enhancements have been made since the tested version.

3. peteck

peteck Registered Member

Hi 1boss1 thanks for that.

I did notice that change but was unclear as to the relevance of it WRT the tests above, as the change was referred to as "Improved the ability to detect actions of loading DLLs" rather than the detection of already loaded (and possibly hidden) modules as shown in MDs Processes Tab>Modules box.

I might drop that chap a line see if he will test the latest version.

4. peteck

peteck Registered Member

MD 2.5.0 has been retested with no change in ability to detect the six listed methods of hiding loaded dlls

5. arran

arran Registered Member

as discussed before in another thread regarding this test even MD can't detect all of the loaded rootkit's it can however prevent them from loading in the first place. A good security policy is to block rootkits from installing in the first place because if you allow them to install they can do many things like evade MD's detection.

6. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Thanks mate for passing that along, and thanks to i believe Alex Poland for retesting MD.

I was hoping to see a couple of passes in the new test, and while it's true that blocking them in the first place is what counts detection is important. I hope this is something xiaolin can enhance in the future.

Also surprised that SpyDllRemover come up short as well.

7. peteck

peteck Registered Member

Oh well we can only hope that Xaolin will improve things (even more !) in time, i'm sure he/she is very busy.

8. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

One man ... One Desireeee...

9. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

he will make better trust me on this one he may be only one man developing it but he is more bussy than jacky chan and jet lee:D combine;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.