Malicious Website

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by nadirah, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

My internet browser got hijacked by a strange website : www.thefreespot.com. I tried running spybot- S&D but it could not find any malware or spyware on my computer.
    I also tried Ad-Aware and it didn't find anything either. Both programs are up-to-date. Does this website have any suspicious activeX or BHO component which is able to escape detection by anti-spyware programs? I'm also posting this website's privacy policy here for you to read.

TheFreeSpot, its advertising partners and network affiliates, are committed to protecting the privacy of Internet users. The following statement details our ongoing support for the responsible collection and management of Internet user information.
    PLEASE NOTE THAT FLYCAST IS ONE OF THE THIRD PARTY ADVERTISERS. TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT HOW FLYCAST MANAGES THE PRIVACY OF INFORMATION IN CONJUNCTION WITH SERVING ADS, PLEASE GO TO: http://www.flycast.com/about_us/about-privacy.html
    Internet User Information

When we deliver an ad to you, we do not collect any personal identifiable information about you, such as your name, address, telephone number or email address. TheFreeSpot does, like other Internet advertisers, collect certain information which can not personally identify you. This latter category of information is generally referred to as non-personally-identifiable information includes information like the server or internet service provider you use, type of browser used. There are some cases where you, the Internet user, may voluntarily provide personal information in response to a particular ad (a survey or purchase order form). In such cases TheFreeSpot (or a third party working with TheFreeSpot) may collect this information on behalf of an advertiser. The advertiser in turn uses this information to reply to your request. TheFreeSpot may review such voluntarily-submitted information in aggregate form to understand the type of individuals who view a particular ad or visit a particular type of website.
    Furtermore, TheFreeSpot does not divulge any information regarding the users who use email for correspondence with the webmaster or any representative of TheFreeSpot.

TheFreeSpot never sells any information, such as email address, to any third parties.

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Nadirah,

Can you please download and run HijackThis from

http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/hijackthis.zip

and scan the system but do *not* try to fix anything yet as many of the items listed are necessary, instead press the "save log" button and copy and paste the log here for someone to review and advise on.

Regarding the Privacy Policy, it certainly seems to leave much to be desired :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.