Making sure programs un-install completely…

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Matt_Smi, Apr 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I was wondering what steps you take to ensure that a program fully un-installs? After removing a program I usually check the program files folder to make sure it did not leave behind any folders/files and delete them if it did, I also check out the start menu as some programs leave their shortcut there and finally I check out the registry with regseeker and delete any leftover entries there as well. Is there any place else to check for leftover programs files?

2. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Re: Making sure programs un-install completely…

I think you covered all of it..but some have found a few free small programs that when placed on your PC, will monitor any programs as the are being installed..then also let you know all the bits and pieces they DO install..then actually use that info at the time you wish to uninstall a program or applications and they work very well.

Kinda of a back up to the Windows Uninstall features..since many programmers do a lousy job at playing by the rules of your OS these days.

Also if you do have XP or ME and use the system restore on occasion..might want to reset that to make sure you have no problmes down the line.

3. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

Re: Making sure programs un-install completely…

So some general thoughts for you to Uninstall a program.

1.First check out before you install anything if they do have their own uninstaller.

2. They might use the Windows feature to install and then you can see they place the name of their product in the add/remove programs in you control panel..but even then as you know they can leave bits.

3. Also see if within their own file folder in Programs if the have a file called uninstall.exe or unwise.exe. In that case they most likely will also have a .txt file or .log file also..and if you open that up it will give you a decent list of what they have installed and when..and they actually use that info in their Uninstall process to try and get all of it off your system.

4. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

and if the program doesnot have an uninstall system mechanic 5 has a great
    uninstall program that will uninstall anything plus other great tools.
    www.iolo.com

5. zoriv

zoriv Registered Member

More-less I use the same procedure as you do. To be sure that the programme is totally removed,after this mentioned procedure I use "search" MS utility typeing the name of the programme or file exe. And finally, I run the registry fix or some similar programme.

6. squash

squash Registered Member

Also check your Windows Application folder (called "Application Settings) under
    C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Settings

Where 'Username' is your Windows login name.

Some programs, Lavasoft Ad-aware for instance leave their profile behind even though the standard uninstaller (Ad-aware's one) is run. :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.