Making it worse

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by drossi, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drossi

drossi Registered Member

Posting here because I wasn't sure where else to post. I'm not computer savvy and very often don't even understand the questions posted. :'(

Trying to make this short. Have cleaned up a number of problems on computer after installing Spybot, Ad-aware, Spyware, and CWS for starters and they cleaned up some of my problems. However, there were several pop up dialers that continued to show, my web page has been changed to 213 159 117 134, and Spybot finds but cannot remove DSO exploit. I have also installed and run AVG (which removed 4 dialers and 4 viruses) and installed Kerio firewall. All the scanning programs are showing no problems now. Tried to connect to Trend's online scan and computer completely shuts down. Spybot takes 30 minutes to scan now, (it gets hung up on CoolWeb Search) and sometimes Ad-aware won't run at all and computer shuts down. Please help me before I make it any worse. It seems that CoolWeb is trying to interfere with any program that scans for trouble, although I may have done something that did this. :oops:

Confused

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi drossi

The first thing i would do is to update all your security programs and download an anti-trojan like Ewido and then reboot into Safemode and then run all your security programs, when all this is done (will take some time) then run atleast two online-scanners (links are in my signature). Good luck. :)

Ps. When you say spyware, do you mean Spywareblaster?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2004
  4. drossi

drossi Registered Member

Hi Don Pelotas, and thanks for your reply. I will do everything you suggest.

I did mean Spyware Blaster--which shows how confused I am. I was afraid to load the anti trojan since my computer is now working at a very slow crawl and I was afraid that might stop it altogether.

I did try to use Trend's online scan today as I have used it before, but I couldn't get it to run. Maybe I'll try one of the others. Stay tuned.

Not as Confused

5. MICRO

MICRO Registered Member

drossi,
    You might also need Hijack This and Win Patrol to help you lose
    the dreaded lurgy, and to see quickly what's still running.

Also try online scans at www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/
    and www.webroot.com/
    You mentioned that you have CWShredder, it's a wonder it was not able to lose your Coolwebsearch pains, maybe you have the later,tougher variants.
    good luck,

Regards.

6. drossi

drossi Registered Member

I'm still trying to clean up this computer. The only recourse may be to open the window and toss. ;)

To review: I have checked for all updates in SpyBot S&D, Spyware Blaster, CWS, and AVG scan and then ran all in Safemode. (much faster) They shut down in regular mode but nothing is showing up on Safemode scans. I already have Spyware Guard installed and Kerio firewall. I installed IE-SPYAD this morning but I can't run any on-line scanners. :mad:

The problem is CoolWWWSearch. Home Search that seems to interfere with anything to do with on-line scanning or removal. The machine either shuts down or the download runs on forever. There is also a dialer installed that asks me if I want to connect. This comes on as soon as I connect to the Internet.

Any suggestionso_O
    Still confused

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I would say your only option now is HijackThis.

Unfortunately, Wilders doesn't do hijack cleaning any more but here is a link,

http://a-sap.info/

to some forums that do. Just make sure u read the rules first of which ever forum u choose.

Hope this helps.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.