Making Avast the lowest overhead AV available

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kees1958, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

yeah, I went back and read Kees orginal post. So yes, it may have strayed a bit, but any thread that Kees starts, is bound to get expanded on. I mean he is that type of poster.

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Avast looks nice, but I already have licenses for 4 other suites. I'm afraid I'm going to turn into trjam. :D

3. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Running just the File shield, since my browser is sandboxed so maybe I don't need the Network Shield, and it seems that the Behavior Shield doesn't do much. Only other thing running real-time is Mamutu. Scheduled daily scans with MBAM hasn't found anything yet with this setup.

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yep,

No offense taken. When I trigger responses, it is fair to expect discussion on both ends of the stingy statement you are making. It is called grey-boxing

Black box = you can only see what goes in and what comes out, how it works is a mistery to you

White box = as above, plus the way it works is transparant also, becasue you are an expert on that topic.

Grey box = as black box, plus you make stingy statements to understand the internals, relate output to input. This to try to understand the basic decision rules the experts make. Because of the tone of voice of the stingy statement, people who know more on a topic will respond to you to correct you. With some 'judo' discussion flexibility, you withdraw on the grounds you are dead wrong and re-adjust to what is feasible. After various responses you (Kees in this case) end up with more knowledge on a topic.

5. fagoatse

fagoatse Registered Member

How do I corerctly measure I/O? I'm using avast with file shield, bahviour shield and web shield(mostly default settings with minor gui tweaks) as it's been light fast so far but I'm more concerned about my hdd performance rather than the rest of my pc.

6. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

best would be a freeware processmonitor, but old taskmanager gives a first impression, just check view and add columns like disk I/O both accesses and bytes read and written.

7. fagoatse

fagoatse Registered Member

Is this a normal I/O or I'm doing something wrong(avast settings in my previous post).
    (screen done after 8 h of running, including defragging my hdd with perfect disk took ~3 h / 2 partitions)

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/336/avast.jpg

8. progress

progress Guest

Maybe Avast should include an option to switch to Kees settings :thumb:

9. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

This modification works on Windows 7, I did exactly as described here, but it does not have this chain: Attachments, so I created this chain and created ScanWithAntiVirus but also the key did not work, someone knows how to work?

10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Unless I'm confused, you should do it through Group Policy since you are running Ultimate.

Untitled.jpg

11. ExtremeGamerBR

Thanks Greg!

Can you explain me how do I activate it? Thanks again! :D

:thumb:

12. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Dot the Enabled part of that dialog Notify antivirus programs when opening attachments which is in Administrative Templates of gpedit.msc

13. ExtremeGamerBR

Thanks again!

I did exactly as described by you and Kees on page 4 (I only saw after I ask) but still did not work, the only way he was getting the eicar.com enabling the option "Scan to modify any files," there more than any configuration of that for you? Some setting in IE or something?

Sorry for my english.

Thank you! :thumb:

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Avast free as in your sig?

15. ExtremeGamerBR

Exact is Avast! Free 5.0.594 with only the shield of files and behavior. Is enabled in gpedit.msc but it gets the EICAR zipped, it detects only .com, but it must be with the "Scan files when modifying" enabled.

Sorry for my english!

Thanks! :thumb:

16. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

It's the same for me using Avast 5

17. Kid Shamrock

Kid Shamrock Registered Member

I think you guys have something set wrong. In avast, I have only the scan on execution boxes checked under expert settings. Scan on writing and scan on opening settings are all disabled. When I try to run the eicar file the following pop-up appears:
    Avast block.jpg

This happens when trying to execute an unzipped eicar.com file and when double-clicking eicar.com from inside the zip file. I'm running Win7 ultimate 32-bit. If you're running another AV alongside avast, it might be catching the eicar file before avast sees it.

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Yes, mine is working same as yours. My reference to the other user was that it did not notify on download as in MSE and others do.

19. ExtremeGamerBR

I've been reviewing my protection and I think I'm safe.

1º Any download in. exe Avast! check before the download finishes.
    2º The Network Protection and Web use are not necessary because the SRWare Iron + WOT with McAfee Site Advisor
    3º Use DEP / LUA / UAC Max / SEHOP and eventually will use the SRP.
    4º Any or zipped file. rar that I can have virus check with Avast! after the download is complete.
    5º Mail, P2P, IM, I will never use.

So I think I have good protection, and with minimal load on the system and the Internet.

Sorry for my english.

:thumb:

20. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

Hey guys I've got Avast! 5 Internet Security which I won from a Mini Contest from their facebook page..

Im wondering what's the best way to optimise its performance with Prevx SafeOnline 3.0 (Free-Facebook).

21. Cyrano2

Cyrano2 Registered Member

You will get the best performance with the metod described on the first page of this thread. But if you are sure that your computer is clean, you can install only file (with everything in "scan on executing" turned off) and behaviour shields. Using the sandbox for internet facing apps and being very careful with flashdrives (or cds/dvds) because Avast wont scan them unless you copy all their contents to your hd ;).

22. mike21

mike21 Registered Member

eugene, Avast is very light out of the box with the default settings. If you have a modern PC you may not notice any speed gain even if you "tweak" the settings as per Kees' 1st post. Only during loading of SOME web pages I noticed that Avast was running, i.e. the web guard delays browsing in some instances.

23. eugene91

eugene91 Registered Member

Well its just noticeable that bootup is slower than before was using (Panda Cloud AV Free).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.