Makes Norton seem slim

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Acadia, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

GOOD GRIEF!! I just downloaded the trial version of f-Secure 2006, this is only the anti-virus, not their entire Internet Security suite ... it was 60.4mb ... and many of ya'll complain about NAV's size, sheesh ... (haven't installed it yet; still in a state of shock!)

Acadia

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

F-Secure's program download sizes have been larger than expected for a while now. Initially you get a small file, which is the starter for the main download. I too was surprised when I trialled their 2005 product last year.

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

OK, the download was for the entire 2005 Internet Security suite, even though I only asked for the AV. During installation it gives you the choice of installing either just the AV, or the entire package.

BUT, I had to cancel EVERYTHING. While installing the AV, the installation stopped and told me that it had detected Lavasoft's AdAware and Webroot's Spysweeper on my system, and that it could not continue until I uninstalled those two programs ... bye-bye F-Secure!!

Acadia

4. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

They use a rebranded version of Lavasoft's AdAware so I can understand them requesting that be uninstalled.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I had similar experience tonight. F-secure told me I had to uninstall Cisco VPN Firewall. Don't know what it was talking about unless it was Lucidlink. Again bye bye F-secure.

Pete

6. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I had problems in the past too. Installing and Uninstallin F-Secure can be a problem...

7. kkkkkkkkk

kkkkkkkkk Guest

Installing F-secure on PC with 1.5ghz and 512RAM need at lease 1 hour with high speed internet.

With dial-up more than 3 hours.

So lets say that you install F-secure on 1Ghz PC with 256RAM and dial-up. You will need all day to install it and scan all PC....

8. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

It looks like F-Secure is definitely "doing a Symantec" - they have an excellent AV product but they have completely lost their way when it comes to supplying what people actually need. A real shame.

9. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

There's need for a couple refications:

1) You can download an offline installer when you buy it;
    2) Yes it's 60mb, but contains over 10 languages including helpfiles (wich other av has that?).

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Um, avast! as far as i remember... though they have far moe languages than just 10...

11. TAP

TAP Registered Member

12. Albinoni

Albinoni Registered Member

I can recall a while back I decided to try and give f-Secure a go as well, this was before I used BD Pro 9, but while F-Secure may be a good prog in what it does, sorry to say it wasn't for me at all.

I found its install process to be painfully slow, a memory hog and also fairly heavy on system resources as well. Mind you I was installing it on a PIII 800/512MB RAM desktop PC.

Even when it came to uninstalling it, it was again painfully slow. As a security suite I far prefer Bit Defender Pro 9 or Zone Alarm ISS as I've found both of them to install far quicker and more kinder on other factors as well.

13. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Yes I know, but not in one installer package ;)

14. Patrician

Patrician Registered Member

No you wouldn't. And istalling F-Secure on 1Ghz PC was a little on the optimistic side.

15. javagreen

javagreen Registered Member

I find the "bye bye f-secure" comments in this thread extremely funny :D

F-Secure's Internet Suite has a built in Antispyware module based on Lavasoft's AdAware engine, so naturally there *might* be potential registry conflicts and/or other issues with having 2 versions of the same engine installed at the same time.

Also the removal of Apysweeper is also for the same reason, and if i'm not wrong.. spysweeper also installs a kernel mode driver for their memory resident component, which will clearly clash with the one built in with F-Secure's software.

About the Cisco VPN Firewall, i'm not sure, but then again it surely must've been because F-Secure has its own built-in firewall.

Also, it must be noted that even Symantec/Mcafee and possibly KAV and few others request the removal of any other AV/Security suite already installed on the PC and even offer to remove it themselves :p

16. Peter2150

I was the one that commented about this. First I was trying to install the AV module. Also I don't have any Cisco VPN Firewall installed. I had already uninstalled all other AV. So I don't know why this should have been an issue.

Pete

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Symantec and McAfee do indeed require removal of other AV, BUT NOT any spyware programs. I just paid good money for a two year subscription to SpySweeper ... it stays, f-Secure goes ... might try NOD again.

Acadia

18. kloshar

kloshar Registered Member

Installation of F-secure takes 10 minutes on my computer. No problems at all. And memory doesn't bother me too much. Do you all have 500 mhz and less or what? I don't understand how many damage can f-secure make on 3.0ghz+ computer with 1024 ram.

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Playing around with BitDefender, so far, I kinda like this thingie. :D

Acadia

20. dumb A$$

dumb A$$ Guest

Maybe I should call Peter Norrton and see if he thinks he is stupid.
    I should ask if he thinks Norton is outdated.
    I should ask if his software was outdated with DOS an Win 3.1

I dought he will say oh Heck ya.

Guess he has been around along time and knows what's best for the home user.

All you Norton haters make me sick and always have. Being a member here since before there was 1000 member and all the new cool mods, I fought for my rights, Have you?

Hell no

Time to get real here.

No more pussyfooting around.

BTW thanks Kevin for supporting me and my wierd ways.

21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Just for your information, Dumb A$$, I have used Norton AV for the past year and a half, and it looks like, at this point, that I am going to continue to do so. I actually really, really like NAV2005, I have other reasons for wanting to leave it that have nothing to do with its ability to be an excellent AV ... which it is.

Acadia

22. Dumb A$$

Dumb A$$ Guest

Well then I guess since this forum has always hated me I will talk to peter
    and give him my views.

I am sure he will listen.

Now I must go deep fry a chicken LOL

23. Peter2150

Just curious what Peter Norton has to due with anything. Norton products were cool when Peter actually did them. Problems began with Symantec took over.

24. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I don't hate you, Dumb A$$, I'm trying to let you know how much I LOVE NAV2005! I have a reason to replace it that has nothing to do with it being a Norton product, and I wish that I did not have to. I sincerely like the darn thingie.

Acadia

25. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Buying a 2 year subscription to any software product borders on the insane. You have no idea where the app is going to go in the next 3 months... could turn into utter crap for the remainder of the license and might not even have support for previous versions.

I also had a tough time with uninstalling F-Secure. Not a fan of the install process either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.