Make your Windows XP look like Windows 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mrkvonic, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

Windows XP users rejoice! If you think your good ole XP looks, well, old and clunky, there's hope yet. No need to ditch. A set of perfectly simple tweaks can make it as dandy as a newborn Windows 7. Enjoy a guide to customizing the look of the Windows XP desktop with Windows 7 themes, 10 minutes, great results. After me.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/windows-xp-7.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

Thanks for posting. Works like a charm and looks pretty nifty now.

3. valnar

valnar Registered Member

I'm more interested in making Windows 7 look like XP. I hate the new interface. Too many ways to do the same thing and the file system (C: drive, Documents, etc) is abstracted and shortcutted way too much. Win7 looks like it was designed by a monkey, or the same people who did KDE.

4. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

no, u just need to be more open minded and willing to learn, the first time the typical explorer interface was introduced im sure people had the same reaction. its actually quite easy and tbh faster to navigate once uve used vista and now 7 for a couple years now like i have, it really is better once u get used to it.

but im wondering if anyone knows wer to find a Vista looking taskbar for 7? (small bar and the gloss black colour)

5. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

7. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

You're not alone, If you want to convert the crap click-click-click-click-click startmenu to be able to see your programs, and want it the easy XP way and/or make explorer a little more user friendly be adding some seriously missing buttons, get a look at http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

Finally the good old click-friendly XP start menu. :cool:

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Its easier to find programs with the new improved windows vista/7 start menu. all you do is search. type device press enter and hey presto device manager is open. its much quicker than using the xp menu system. same for programs type opera press enter and opera opens.
    btw to show the menus such as file,edit,view tools and help simply press alt.

I done the even better step and replaced explorer with a proper file manager directory opus.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  9. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

There are loads of mods to turn Vista into Win7 out there,but I've yet to see one that does the opposite as yet.I'm with you on this,I actually prefer the way Vista works to 7,that's the main reason I haven't bothered upgrading yet:(

*Edit* Just found this so might be getting a little closer:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/add-the-quick-launch-bar-to-the-taskbar-in-windows-7/

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  10. mantra

mantra Registered Member

nice
    but is there the log in skin? and bootload skin?

11. valnar

valnar Registered Member

No it's not. Not if you don't know what you are looking for, or if you are on somebody else's computer. The older traditional start menu is better because everything is presented all the time.

Nice!

12. lodore

lodore Registered Member

The old menu takes up alot of screenspace and is unneeded imo.
    doesnt take long to scroll and find the program you want.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.