Major problems with computers

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MRSCT, Nov 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nick s

nick s Registered Member

2. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I'm not sure what I am looking for. When I try to install the switching users, I check allow and then when I try to switch users the account name comes up, but there is nothing under the name letting me know that the operation I changed is working. I use to have the switching users, but when I had that problem with the GiantCom. antispyware, it hasn't been the same since.

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

MRSCT,

It sounds like Giant Antispyware somehow munged up the works, either alone or in combination with some other application on your system. I am reluctant to make any other suggestions at this point since virtually all of them could leave you much worse off than you are now.

On my own machines, when I reach this point, I generally perform an in-place reinstallation of the OS. If it is something rather subtle and/or ill-defined, this route is faster than most others although it may seem draconian at the time. I don't recommend novice users do this either alone or via web-based help such as we can provide here - too many thing can go wrong midstream and recovery can be difficult if incorrect decisions are made. This is something to be done hands-on by a trained technician with experience and the proper backup tools readily available.

Blue

4. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Is this pretty drastic? Is this reformating and having to back everything up or you will loose it? I'm trying to do anything before doing that. I know so little about computers and most of the things that I am told I have no idea what is happening. I just try to follow the directions.

SP2 is now on this computer. No telling what may happen now. I don't quite understand what nick is talking about in the post above.

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi MRSCT,

I was only pointing out that there are some versions of VirusScan that cause problems with Fast User Switching. There are also other versions of VirusScan that only protect the user account with Administrative rights. You never mentioned what version of McAfee you are using. Was McAfee already installed when you bought your computer? Did Fast User Switching work OK with McAfee in the past?

Nick

6. BlueZannetti

Yes, it is drastic, especially for a novice user. Please note, I definitely did not say reformat - if you reformatted you would have to backup everything or lose it. This is why I wouldn't recommend you carry out any procedure of this magnitude alone - there's simply too much downside potential.

The question to ask yourself, "What is it needed?"

Right now you have some minor symptoms. The lack of viable fast user switching is a definite inconvenience, but for system stability it is better to log on/off. The long reboot is more problematic.

You say that SP2 is now on the system. Has this helped? Are any symptoms better or worse? Did the installation of SP2 go smoothly?

As nick s asked - what version of McAfee are you using? Is it up to date with current definitions? What date is listed for the definitions? Was it installed on the PC by the manufacturer/reseller or was it installed by you or someone else at a later date? Is it just the AV or are other components of the McAfee Security Suite installed? If other components are installed, which ones? Is the native Windows firewall also enabled? Are you still experiencing the very long reboot process? Is the long reboot process experienced only going to full normal Windows session, or do you see this behavior to a boot to safe mode also? In the configuration of McAfee, is it set to update or perform specific scan tasks on every Startup? Does disabling these tasks at startup help the reboot speed?

There are a number of questions that could follow, but since I do not run McAfee software and have not used it for a number of years, I'm more or less working blind. Even if I knew what version you were running, I don't have a local copy to consult regarding how to best configure it. That makes offering advice both slow and prone to error - which is why I've generally been conservative in making specific recommendations.

Blue

7. BlueZannetti

Sorry to hear about your experience.

I use Giant and haven't experienced problems on the PC's that I've installed it on yet. I was very conservative on the installation and did not enable any of the real-time protection. I'm using it only as a scheduled cleaner.

Although the realtime security agents look like a great idea, I basically assumed that it could present stability issues with an AV and some of my other apps. I also don't want to bog my system down with multiple realtime processes scanning everything that hits my machine. My philosophy: run reasonably light and perform a mitigating nightly detailed cleanup.

Blue

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

My thoughts here are that there might be something with the drive, although not necessarily hardware.

First thing I would do is go into "My Computer", right click on your C: drive, switch to the "Tools" tab, under "Error Checking" click "Check Now", tick "check for and attempt to recover bad sectors" and click start.

If that doesn't turn up anything, then right click on My Computer, select properties, go to the "Hardware" tab, click "Device Manager", expand "IDE/ATAPI controllers", double click on "Primary IDE Channel", go to the "Advanced" tab, and tell us what is says in the "Current Transfer Mode" space.

9. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I am so happy that I am not the only unfortunate sole to tangle with Giant. I too only used the trial version and from then on I loss the use of the internet, switching problems and probably more than I have not come across.

I just wanted to understand inplace reinstallation of OS. Our dell computer had so many problems, my husband reformated it and reinstalled windows. He had a hard time installing XP, and then tried to install 98, that wasn't easy either. He finally got XP on, but it continually crashes and says shut down for a fatal error.

The rebooting is an annoyance, but I don't do it very much. It's like when we had DOS with a 50mg hard drive. You would run a process with printshop and walk away for awhile and when you came back it was ready. :D

We put Mcafee on maybe 1 1/2 years ago. We had too many problems with viruses. It is automatically renewed every year.

I have had no problem in the past with fast switiching as I stated above. When one thing happened, it all fell apart. I FIRST am happy to get the internet back and if nothing else happens, I am truely thankful for that.

It was suggested I use this forum because another forum did not have alot of experience with the problems I was having.

Blue has been able to break everything down for me and thanks Blue for that.
    I am glad that I am hanging in there(even tho I have no idea what is being said to me in many operations :) )

MRSCT

10. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I opened the control panel and not my computer and found the device manager, when I clicked on the PRIMARY CHANNEL I didn't see an advance tab. It said that this device is working properly.

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

There should be 5 tabs.. General, Advanced Settings, Driver, Details, and Resources. You don't see any of those?

Also, did you run the error check?

Attached Files:

12. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

In-place reinstallation is the same thing as an upgrade except you are "upgrading" to the same OS. So, if you've ever done an upgrade of Win95 to Win98, or Win95 to WinXP, it's an identical operation except it is WinXP (old installation) to WinXP (new installation). It's not as pristine as a fresh installation to a clean drive. The upside is that if all goes well, no programs have to be reinstalled. In the times that I've done it, you'll need the XP install disk and serial code, driver disks for any unique hardware (audio, video, and ethernet cards), and a bit of patience. After the installation, you'll have to reinstall all Windows patches released since the time time of the stamp date of the XP disk used (thankfully, my wife's laptop came with an XP + SP1 install disk so I had that available). Most times the reinstall went without incident. A couple of times I needed to reconfigure networking. All existing accounts should be carried over to the new install.

What this doesn't do is fix any configuration issues involving third party programs. So if that is the root of you problems, the exercise is time lost.

We all know well from multiple instances of "Oh @$#!, what did I just do...." how quickly some of these steps can head south. We're just trying to maximize progress to a solution while minimizing the pain along the way.

Blue

13. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I don't have the cd's for this computer. I have it for the other sony, but they don't work for this one. I was doing the disk check, there are 5 steps, on the 4 out of 5 one it stalls on 21%. All the rest came out Ok.

There are 4 tabs in the primary channel, the advanced setting one is not there. Does it have to be in safe mode?

For this forum the SP2 sends up a block for P2P. What's that?

14. BlueZannetti

Did it fully stall or simply take a long time to get through that section? Did the process finish? Was this during the surface testing phase? There is a basic explanation of CHKDSK available to somewhat explain what is going on.

If you hardware doesn't support Advanced features, that tab won't appear, so don't worry if it doesn't show.

P2P? "Sends(?) up a block for P2P"? Are you running a peer-to-peer file-sharing application? Kazaa? BitTorrent? What is the exact message seen? Does the version of McAfee that you run also have an associated firewall or is it just the AV? If you are running a third-party firewall, you may want to disable the native Windows ICF (Internet Connection Firewall) that is enabled by default in SP2. Follow HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP

Blue

15. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I'm not sure if it stalled or not, it stayed on 21% for a long time. I didn't see the drive blinking. I left the room and it was still there. If I did it over night I could let it run, but with one computer now and 3 people needing it I didn't have the time.

I've never seen the P2P until I installed SP2. I have opened this forum many times, but my husband said to block it. A pop up came and asks if I wanted to block, ask later or leave it.

My son could be using Kazza. I'm not sure. I don't have a firewall from Mcafee, but there is now one in SP2.

Why would I want to disable the firewall? I thought that they were helpful.

I posted on Mcafee forums about the user switching. I guess I didn't know enough to post. I asked what was VS-7 and the answer was if I don't know what it is then I probably belong in another forum. :'(

Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  16. BlueZannetti

Been there, done that. I understand the dilemma.

Just a shot in the dark there. SP2 ICF does tend to limit the number of TCP/IP connection attempts by default. There are ways to bump into that limit that without having a P2P application

They are and in this case you don't want to disable your Windows ICF. If you had a firewall as part of a McAfee Security Suite, it is possible that a software conflict was at least partially responsible for some of the behavior that you are seeing. Since you apparently have no other firewall installed, no worries, keep this as it is. Some firewalls play together well, others don't - sort of like multiple AV's being installed.

Jubo probably could have had a somewhat more supportive opening. VS-7 is VirusScan version 7. As you can see at their forum, they have separate sections for VS-6 and before, VS-7, VS-8, and VS-9 since many folks renew definition support without upgrading the scan engine. The followup questions he asked though are useful in figuring out what's going on - he is trying to develop a picture of the software version you are running, which components are active, as well as some of the system information that has already been covered here. If you are running a version other than VS-7, your thread should be more to the appropriate section.

Blue

17. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

I don't know what version I have. How do I find out which number I have?

18. nick s

nick s Registered Member

If you right-click the McAfee icon, you should see an "About" option. Click on it and that should give you the version numbers.

Nick

19. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

It is 4.0.4415 DAT version.

20. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Is there other info there? Something like this:

McAfee Virusscan Version
    Build
    Engine Version
    Dat Version
    Dat File Created

Nick

21. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Didn't know more was needed

Build 9.0.10
    Engine Version 4.0.4415
    Dat file created 12/15/04

22. BlueZannetti

MRSCT,

If I read this correctly, you run Virusscan 9, current definitions - i.e. you're up to date all around.

On the McAfee support site, this looks to be the most appropriate location to post. From my quick look at that forum, it seems as though there should be no fast user switching issues at this version level.

Blue

23. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

On the fast switching, did I overlook anything? I still get pop ups from Mcafee. Before we loaded Mcafee, our computers were loaded viruses. I don't think I'll go back to the Mcafee forum. I don't know enough jargon to explain my problem. When I click allow, it doesn't switch over. If I go to try and switch users, it acts as tho I checked nothing.

The error has something to do with suspicious scripts and mshta.exe. Mcafee virus scan continually blocks it. :oops:

Last edited: Dec 22, 2004
  24. BlueZannetti

From a quick peek at the McAfee docs, you basically seem to have 4 options:

It sounds like you're selecting Option #3, have you tried going with #4?

Blue

25. MRSCT

MRSCT Registered Member

Tried that just now. It stays the same. There has got to be something we can do. I need to figure out how to stop that pop up.

On option 3, I check the 2 boxes about switching and click allow. On more imformation I have clicked allow also.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.