major nod problems!

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by bigc73542, Oct 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I was not going to post about these problems but one of the nod moderators suggested that i do post it. I have only used nod for less than two weeks and have had enough problems with it to last a year. The problem of nod blocking web sites is pathetic, it was even blocking links in post's on the forum. It is supposed to detect some of the new exploites going around, well there are a few sites where you can test your av against a few of these. every one that I tried nod against nod just let them right on by. I tested the same things on mcafee, panda and command and they stop the exploit just as soon as you click the test button. And I have also had more incompatability problems with nod than I ever had with any antivirus in the almost twelve years I had my own computer repair shop. Some people seem to have good luck with nod and there seem to be quite a few that do have problems. I have decided that with what my computer system cost me it deserves an antivirus program that does not block legidement web sites and will not let malware through that it claims to detect and that will not conflict with six or seven other programs that I have installed. Like I stated earlier in this post that I was not going to post about these problems at all but at one of the nod moderators suggestion I posted them Just in case someone else was having these troubles also they would know that they were not alone. I will not reply to this post because I do not plan to ever use nod again so trying to find a cure for these problems I leave to someone else.

Again I want to thank all of the excellent people that tried to help me with some of these problems

bigc

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi BigC, can you please post some links to websites you are having problems with, also programs you are having problems with.

I believe this needs to be addressed, even though you are not going to use Nod32 anymore. I am not a Nod32 Zealot, I think these issues need to be addressed in public, warts and all... I also think there will always be the odd problem with any program, you just appear to have more than a good dose of them, which is not good ;) :D

In the mean time I have sent an email to Eset asking to have someone look at this thread.

Cheers :D

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm lucky I guess. I've had no problems with the last two releases.
    This lastest version is set to higher efficiency across the board.
    Using IE or Firefox, I experience no problems.

4. bigc73542

this is just one of the addys that nod blocked on my computer, there are a lot more. If they find why it blocks this one it should tell them what is causing it to block the others also. this link is one that was posted in ten forward--know ur personality post#1 It works just fine with panda.

http://www.chinapaint.com/eng/flash/colorandme_en.swf

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Works for me using NOD and IE or Firefox.

Attached Files:

6. bigc73542

I removed command antivirus and norton personal firewall. and when I went to reinstall them with nod installed it would not permit them to be installed. and by the way I even tried to install bitdefender free and got the same results. After I removed nod all three programs installed perfectly.

7. bigc73542

works great for me also as long as nod is not on my comp.

8. Blackspear

It works well for me, when I tried it yesterday I was using 2.12.2, now I'm using 2.12.3 with everything set to Higher Efficiency

That is very strange BigC.

9. Blackspear

ROFLMAO :D

10. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've used Bitdefender Free on this computer with NOD installed. No problem.

11. bigc73542

Well what I think I am going to do is use what works well on my comp and everyone that is having good luck with with their av can use theirs. I have stated in many av threads on the forum that not all programs work well on all computers and that the user should use whatever works for them. So I am going to follow my own advice and follow that route. I am in no context saying that nod is not a good program, what I am saying is that it does not work for me. It still baffles me as to why all of the other av's I have tried all work without fail. But for some reason nod will not work on this computer. Oh well if everything worked perfectly we would get bored very quickly.

bigc

12. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

Are you sure you don't have your Flash player turned off somewhere? It didn't come in for me at first because I usually keep Flash turned off to block some of the ads.

13. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

bigc,

Excellent advice, even when self administered.

We all have these occurrences, I'm going through one now - can't get a program to work correctly to save myself. The vendor has been working on it a bit, but if I'm the only incident of the type (this may be the case, maybe not), do you put already strained resources on it? I probably wouldn't unless it seemed to be a general issue.

NOD32 is a first class AV only if it works on your platform, of course, this is true of any application (and it's sometimes useful to state the obvious).

Blue

14. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Hello BigC and everyone else,

Mr. Spear kindly asked me to stick my hooter in here, on behalf of Eset, to see what was going on. Well, I think you're dead right BigC... for some reason, probably best known to the great Hard Drive in the sky, some apps just don't sit comfortably on some computers. As Ronjor and Blackspear found, I also had no problems going to that URL (BTW....it's good, innit?!).

I guess you have the latest version of NOD32 installed BigC? (v. 2.12.3). IMON's HTTP compatibility setup is often best set to Higher Efficiency. Have you checked in there, possibly altered some or all from Higher Compatibility to Higher Efficiency and tried again? Version 2.12.3 was released to fly away around the world last Friday 15th October, and this is one little issue that has been fixed.

I had no problems visiting this particular URL using Mozilla, Opera or IE. Having said this, I suspect from his original post that BigC has had enough of messing around with NOD32 anyway.... fair enough... not much I can say to that really. But it would be interesting to know why this is happening to your machine in case there is a problem that we need to fix for some other users. I think it goes without saying to not have more than one resident AV active, or sometimes just installed.... you mentioned McAfee, Panda and Command. I know you've been very descriptive, but is there anything else that you can tell us as to what you have running or your settings in NOD32?.... just before you consign the whole app. to the dustbin that is....... :D

Bandicoot.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2004
  15. bigc73542

I have tried every setting that There is to set and it made absolutley no difference at all. The only other av I have had installed along with nod was command, the others I run seperatly and never two resident modules at the same time. When i had command installed with nod I had command installed first. with nod installed first I can not install any other av it will not allow the install to finish. Now if I uninstall nod the other programs install perfectly o_O don't ask me why. It is a mystery I can't seem to break. I even went as far as to as to do a complete format an install of windows. I had xp home so I installed a copy of xp pro this time but nod reacted exactly the same on pro as it did home :doubt: Well after all of that I came to the realization that I had expended enough time and energy to the situation. And that is when I went back to my tried and true av. I didn't give up without a fight but I am a realist and realized that it just wasn't going to happen.

thanks guys for all of the help, it is appreciated

bigc

16. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Try disabling IMON when you are installing other AVs or firewalls. It seems to me at least that the LSP's that Eset is using for IMON interfere with the functioning or installtion of other security products at least on my system. For example I have to disable IMON to re install Sygate pro, then re enable IMON and rebuild the network adapter to get Sygate to work correctly. No one else has complained of this and several people have stated they use both with no problems so it is just my system that I know of. Anyway I know you are growing weary of dealing with NOD as am I. I just feel that NOD should work, instead it seems if it is not one thing it is another, I have a full time job, a young child, a wife and several hobbies, the last thing I need to do is come home and spend an hour or so figuring out a AV program that worked just fine the day before and now is causing system hiccups, I don't have the time for it anymore. Occasionally it seems that IMON doesn't restart correctly from hibernation and I have to restart my system, perhaps that may be tied into to you problem as well, as that is when mine has problems displaying pages correctly, after it comes out of hibernation or stand by. Sorry for the ramblings and the straying slightly off topic. Best of wishes to you in whatever you decide to do with NOD.

17. bigc73542

That is perfectly alright to ramble on. and I have come to the same conclusion also,I just don't have the time to mess with it. Have a good evening and surf safe>

bigc

18. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

Thanks Yoda!, sorry I/we couldn't be more helpful, I am starting to follow a similar path my friend. Now where did I leave my light saber? aww hell with it, nothing like having a good blaster at your side..

19. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

i don't know how some people have so many problems with NOD.
    The only ever dramas i have is when i need the unlock code from Eset or i have experienced one ever compatibility issue, but i resolved it by exclusion.

20. bigc73542

Regardless of the type of software you want to talk about someone has had a problem with it. every piece of software ever written has bugs, they just don't show up on all computers. Nod is no different, if you find this hard to believe just read the post's in the nod support forum and see how many issues you can see that the users of nod have posted about. Well enough of this. I think it is great if you don't ever have any issues with nod, that's fantastic I hope your luck holds.

good evening

bigc

21. Blackspear

Agreed, and it would be nice to get to the bottom of it, though in some instance you just can't. I have experienced the same here, eventually after many months of the problem, and a full dedicated 8 hours, I did find the cause, however, Eset can not replicate the exact same scenario, even though I can given the use of Imaging Software, and it is not for want of trying that Eset can’t, the person at Eset that has installed the same software, he is incredibly tenacious when it comes to this sort of thing. In the end for my situation it was to remove one or the other program, Nod32 won without a second thought, I will however try the new version of SSM when it comes available in December…

22. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If the glove don't fit, aqcuit! :blink:

23. Blackspear

ROFLMAO, now that's not very nice ;) :cool: :D :ninja:

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Feel free to delete. All in fun. :)

25. Blackspear

No way, humor is good :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.