Mailwasher alternatives

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twl845, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Does anyone know of any reliable alternatives to Firetrusts Mailwasher? :)

2. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

4. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Why do you look for an alternative? Any particular feature missing or problem?

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Hi Beethoven, I have been using Mailwasher Pro for many years, and I like it. However the last 2 versions have a problem if you let Windows shut it down, where MW loses the ability to remember some things, and if you wake up your computer from standby and check your mail you get an error message saying it can't find your IP. The fix for this is to remember to manually shut down MW before you shut down or go on standby. They have been trying to overcome this since V6.1.
    I am asking if there are alternatives just to see what's out there in case it becomes necessary. :p

6. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I've been very pleased using MailWasher Pro v5.3 since January 2007 with no real pressing need to upgrade. Maybe you could go backwards.

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That has crossed my mind. Thanks for the heads up. ;)

8. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

I like SpamBully. It is very easy to use and works very well.

Silver

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

As luck would have it I found the setup.exe for V5.3 on the Mailwasher forum today and uninstalled 6.1, then installed V5.3. You still can't let Windows shut the program down, but have to manually shut it down before you shut down your computer or you'll have MW connection problems and MW having problems remembering sometimes. Check out the forum for comments on that. http://forum.firetrust.com/

10. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Bummer. :( Sorry that didn't do it for you. I guess I always close MW before shutting down Windows. I didn't intend to mislead you with my suggestion to revert to v5.3.

11. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Not at all. It seems that Firetrust has been trying to fix this problem for a long time, and all the versions have it. In the v6 series they have a dialog box that darts across the screen in a vain attempt to allow you to shut down MW in Windows, but doesn't work. They promise the fix is coming. I'm glad I was able to go back to the less bloated V5.3. :D Thanks again for the suggestion.

12. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Perhaps you are already aware of this, but I wanted to post back to you in case you weren't...

I read on the FireTrust support forum that, "they are tossing the whole mail grid code and starting fresh for the next release".

About a month ago, in reference to the current v6.3, the forum admin stated, "We aren't developing this version of MW any more though so there's no-one to fix it up, but the new version we are working on from scratch is progressing pretty well, so only a couple more months before we've made enough progress to have a decent version people can use".

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the tip. Actually I haven't checked the forum since I settled on using V6.0.4 and have learned to always turn MW off before I shut down. Doing that, MW works great. I'll be sure to check in frequently now to check on the progress. When the new build does come out I'll let it soak for a while before I install it. ;)

14. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Have you thought about changing your ISP mail provider ? I used to use Mailwasher and B9 years ago and thought they were very good. For a number of years I have found that www.netaddress.com plus outlook have taken care of spam with nothing of importance getting through. I would rather pay a few $ per year and have someone else take care of spam and other nasties than have to use my own resources.

15. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Thanks for the link. After reading the "more info" I can't answer yes to any of the reasons to use netaddress. That and already having a spam scanner with OA and NOD32, and netaddress charging $40 a year fee isn't any good for me. I paid $25 for a lifetime subscription to Mailwasher with free upgrades quite a few years ago, and it works well for me as a paid user. It only has this one bug which is described in Page 42's post, that I assume will be eliminated with a new configuration soon as he said. I'm not married to MW though, so if a better app shows up I'll try it. :)

16. Someone

Someone Registered Member

17. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Another $40 a year app. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.