Mailwasher 2.0 - now with hotmail support

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by MickeyTheMan, Oct 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Latest Beta Version: 2.0 beta

14 October

This version, while still beta, is a significant step forward for MailWasher.

2.0 Improvements:
    • Hotmail support!
    • Checks multiple accounts simultaneously.
    • Errors reported in digest form, rather than interrupting operation.
    • Advanced bouncing options.
    • Supports SMTP authentication.

2.0 Fixes:
    • Many many many fixes.
    *Now fixes 'invalid index' problem reported earlier*
    http://www.mailwasher.net/download.php

2. controler

controler Guest

Seems to be working great with Windows XP and Norton AV 2003
    It has those little buggers that want to make ligit mali addresses
    blacklisted but other than that it is working very well.
    I have it running two hotmail and one yahoo accounts.
    It uses your default mail program to bounce. You see this when Nortons little send mail screen pops up. I do like the fact that Norton now keeps that little pop up on the bottom right of the screen instead of splashing it right in the middle.

3. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I just installed it, and I absolutely love it!

I actually registered 2 hours later.

I also like the user made filters you can download here: http://www.mailwasher.net/filters.txt

If you're not used to working with Regular EXpressions, these can give you a great head start.

I'm using the blacklist as little as possible, as I'm having far too much fun zapping these little b*ggers with custom made filters. :D :D

Only thing I miss is a button that would allow you un-hide ALL hidden messages temporarily in order to examine what caused them to be filtered out, and if necessary, to fine tune the filter settings.

So much easier than enabling that option for every single filter just to pinpoint the one that blocked that particular e-mail message.

That would make it absolutely perfect.

4. controler

controler Guest

Re:Mail-washer 2.0 - now with hotmail support

I agree, The filtering needs a bit of tweaking but overall it works good.
    At the moment I am using the custom made filters but I am tweaking those as I go. Those 5 or 6 servers have tons of valid blacklisted mail addresses. I just ad the e-mail address I know I want to keep for now.
    I am sure some here will have some cool filter files to add in the future.
    This is the way of the future :)
    Did he say you could only use a min. of characters if you build your own text files? was it something like 35,000? I can't remember right now. That is why the other server black lists. The program goes out to the server to compare. That being said. There needs to be a way to add a larger size filter in th future.

5. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Yup.

" If you use Windows 95,98, or Me these operating systems have a limit of 32,000 characters for a list and will stop MailWasher working properly if the list is too big. "

Personally, I happen to think that with a relatively small number of wisely put-together filters, you obviate the need for incredibly large blacklists.

Just like my home made AdShield block list.

If you edit your strings wisely, a few hundred entries go a long way towards blocking all ads and banners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.