Mailer-Daemon ?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Decapad, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Hello - Since last Monday I've gotten about 700 emails with Mailer-Daemon headings - also a few hundred general failed emails with various error headings. It seems to route these emails using my email addy - Of course I did not attempt to send these. I tried several online scans(Kaspersky, Ewido, Bit Defender etc...) & my PC's Avast - but none have detected anything. Any tips on how to get rid of this annoyance? Many thanks! Deca:cool:

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I get spam emails with that heading quite a few times. I just ignore them. If you don't want them anymore in your inbox, you will have to close your email account because the spammer identified your email address or you can try a mail filtering program.

3. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

It is quite possible that you have a spambot onboard that is either new or hidden by a rootkit.Try the free version of the following software to see if it can dislodge a possible culprit:thumb:
    http://www.superantispyware.com/

4. Decapad

Decapad Registered Member

Thanks gentleman - that scan came up empty as well btw. I think Ccsito's assessment is accurate. Obviously a spam worm just picked up my email addy somewhere & made it the return address. I'll tell you what really ticks me off about this - Is once a year I send 1500 legit holiday emails out (I have an internet mail-o business). I have more trouble with my ISP those days - they must turn off my acct 5 times, and they are not too pleasant about turning it back on. And here these pricks are sending this crap out by the zillions, and getting away with it. Anywho - just one of life's annoyances, thanks again, Deca;)

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

You're welcome. Many of the ISP providers are monitoring the volume of communication that goes through their servers from any user. When they get flooded by one user (such as mass email mailings), they probably then immediately presume that you are some kind of spammer and then shut down your access. I also send holiday email greetings but not at the volume that you do. I don't have any solution to your account access problem other than to suggest that you break up your holiday emails into smaller groups to send out so that the ISP servers don't get inundated with a lot of traffic.

6. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I don´t think this software is able to find unknown rootkits.

I have similar problems with mailer-daemons in some cases.

True, true, especially gmx and aol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.