Magic vs. Confidence

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by mangoman, May 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mangoman

mangoman Registered Member

Am I allowed to mention Partition Magic on this forum?

Back in 1998 I used it with great success, a friendly interface and not many wipe-outs if you were fairly competent.

I skipped over winXP and have been doing all I need from win98. Finally decided to buy a new Vista Pavilion notebook. One of the first things I looked into was partitioning software and I was reading bad things about Partition Magic ever since Semantic bought them out. As far as I could tell they do not advertise support for Vista yet. Then I studied Acronis DD and read some good things, also saw thay had edited in a few statements that Vista is supported, so I bought it.

I have had a very bad experience so far with DD and OSS. I know I need to get up to speed with XP and Vista operating system particulars and I hold out hope that one day (maybe the 2161 build) I will be able to tri boot win98\XP\Vista per Acronis's slogan "with confidence".

Anyway, my question-- Has anyone heard of or had personal success using Partion Magic to dual boot including Vista. If I can't get DD working soon I might give that package a try too.

2. churin

churin Registered Member

I have been a loyal user of PartitionMagic since its version 3 for Windows 95. Recently I started seeing error message while using PM8 even though Disk Management of Windows OS saying "Healthy". If PM issues error message, very often it can no longer be used to do anything else. So, I decided to try Acronis Director 10. After installing it, the first thing I tried was "Set partition acitve" to switch active partitions among multiple primary partitions, but it caused BSOD. Did you try this function?

3. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

churin:

See my reply to your other thread. You got a BSOD because you tried to boot an OS in a hidden partition. PQMagic will leave bootable DOS and Windows partitions hidden when you set the active flag on another partition.

That's either a "feature" or a "bug" depending on your perspective...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.